Windows 8 running URU: CC or Deep Island

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Windows 8 running URU: CC or Deep Island

Postby Sirius » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:59 am

In case this crash is caused by the install in the Program Files folder...

The security of the Program Files folder is quite messy with some programs... mostly because of the Virtual Store.

Here are the problems, from what I've already experienced (my PC is running with Windows 7, it should be globally the same with Win8):

Usually, installers can modify directly the Program Files directory (which is the "main" folder for Uru). Then the game itself doesn't have write access to the folder in Program Files, but to the Virtual Store instead (any file modified post-install, including saved games, are there).
However, when running in the crazy Windows7 compatibility mode in Win7, the program has access to the "main" folder in Program Files... This also applies when you run the game as admin.

But there is another exception: when you start Uru with UruSetup.exe instead of Uru.exe. Because of the word "setup" in it, Win7 thinks it's an installer... and gives it access to the "main" folder. This isn't the case when UruSetup.exe is started by Uru.exe.

Another problem: it seems files aren't always read correctly from the Virtual Store, which causes bugs with the books' linking panels, for instance...

Sometimes, Windows refuses access to the Virtual Store to the program, which means it might crash because it doesn't have anywhere to save its settings...
Sirius

Postby Flynt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am

Per earlier posts in this thread, some months I did try installing somewhere else (e.g. Saved Games) but not directly in the root directory. I'll try that and post my findings.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
MOULa KI: 2719885
Deep Island KI: 00181606
Gehn KI: 00106063

Flynt

Postby dendwaler » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Saved games is inside the User area of the installation.
All the user areas are part of the system as well.
I have an installation on a 16 Mb memory stick.
Its portable, and can be used on every windows pc, no matter which os version of windows from xp to w8.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby tachzusamm » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:08 pm

dendwaler wrote:Its portable, and can be used on every windows pc, no matter which os version of windows from xp to w8.

That's your Real-Life Relto Book, right?
Always carry a link to home with you. ^^
tachzusamm

Postby Flynt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Okay, I'm clearly doing something wrong. Tried installing in the root (C:\) directory and am getting the same error. After reading the most recent posts, I also tried installing in the root directory (D:\) of my secondary physical drive, same error. I'm officially giving up, until I try again in a couple of months (of course). :)

Flynt

Postby Chuckles58 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:12 pm

I think they were saying install it in a different directory OFF the root directory. I have installed all my variations of Uru in D:\Games\. It could be named anything really.
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby Flynt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:00 am

Was finally able to get back into Deep Island by using a virtual machine.

Setup a Windows XP virtual using VMware Player and then setup DI using the gog.com version of Uru: CC. Everything worked as expected; however, the program runs in a relatively small window. Is there a way to get the program to run in full screen within the virtual?

Flynt

Postby Annabelle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Flynt wrote:Was finally able to get back into Deep Island by using a virtual machine.

Setup a Windows XP virtual using VMware Player and then setup DI using the gog.com version of Uru: CC. Everything worked as expected; however, the program runs in a relatively small window. Is there a way to get the program to run in full screen within the virtual?

sure thing :lol: I have a VMWare beast myself (VMWare Workstation 8.0.1) and you only need to use this (by default) sequence: "CTRL + ALT + ENTER". Make sure you use the left ALT (next to the Windows button, if you have 2 windows buttons then the 3rd key counting from your left)

If you were more talking about the game itself within the VM (which seems to be the case...) all you need to do is changing parameters within the launcher itself.

1) You'll see a 1st window with your account name (forum's account) & your ****** (password), you need to click the button "Login"

2) Now here...DO NOT click play yet. Select the tab called "Graphics", modify it to your likings then press "Play"
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Previous

Return to Deep Island