Windows 8 running URU: CC or Deep Island

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Windows 8 running URU: CC or Deep Island

Postby Flynt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 am

Haven't been able to run either URU: CC or Deep Island within Windows 8. Given the age of the programs, it's probably a lost cause. Nevertheless, perhaps others with more experience in these matters may know some solutions.

Note that both MOULa and Gehn seem to run fine under Windows 8.
MOULa KI: 2719885
Deep Island KI: 00181606
Gehn KI: 00106063

Flynt

Re: Windows 8 running URU: CC or Deep Island

Postby diafero » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am

What's happening if you try to get it running using the instructions for Windows 7?

Note that I do not have a Windows 8 installation, nor will I ever have one if possible ;-) . I rarely start Uru on Windows 7, either - all the Uru development I do is done on Linux.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Flynt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Tried to provide some screen prints, but it doesn't seem to work for this forum; anyway ...

I get the first setup box for Login (i.e. "Account", "Password", "Server" etc.) and then it stalls on the next setup box with the "Account", "Graphics", "Audio" tabs. The "Player" field is blank/inactive and the "Play" button is greyed out. I can only hit "Cancel".

Flynt

Postby diafero » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:00 pm

That's while it is loading the content of that white box. The only thing coming to my mind is trying various compatibility modes (assuming Windows 8 still has these?).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Flynt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 am

diafero wrote:The only thing coming to my mind is trying various compatibility modes (assuming Windows 8 still has these?).

Yes, Windows 8 does have compatibility modes and "Run as Administrator". I should have originally stated that I have tried different compatibility modes, etc with no success. Hopefully, as others move to Windows 8 (I switched when my prior computer crashed), someone will find a way to run these legacy programs.

Flynt

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:59 am

Here's what another user sent me:

I would like to let you know that I HAVE managed to get Deep Island to work on Windows 8, after much trial and error. Basically, what I did was to first get it installed and running on a Windows 7 O.S.; then, after having applied the Uru Launcher and downloaded all the user-created ages, etc. and actually getting online, I copied the folder containing my Deep Island to an external hard drive. I made sure to set Deep Island to RUN AS if on Windows XP, Service Pack 2, and that it had ADMINISTRATOR privileges.

In Windows 7, I set Deep Island to run on Windows XP, Service Pack 2, then was able to log on, have all the updates downloaded and log onto the Shard. Once I was satisfied that it was running properly, I copied the folder containing Myst Uru Complete Chronicles (now converted to run as Deep Island) to an external hard drive.

Now I went back to running my Windows 8 Professional, 64-bit operating system, connected my external hard drive containing my working copy of Deep Island to my PC, then opened the Myst Uru Complete Chronicles folder containing all the files, selected them all - including all hidden files - and copied them to an identically-named empty folder (Myst Uru Complete Chronicles) in my Windows 8 OS located in Users/ UserName/ Saved Games. Once this was done, I was able to start and run Deep Island on Windows 8.

Hope this helps anyone else who wants to have Deep Island installed on Windows 8 PCs. It was a bit of an effort to get it all to work - AND, it is IMPORTANT to note that Win 8 INSISTS that all such games be SAVED TO - their folders located in - USERS / USERNAME / SAVED GAMES - or it will not run!!

However, I fear that the next time I update an age on the server, it's broken again - the problem sounds as if downloading updates is the cause of the issue. The updater has been an issue on Windows 7, as well, but setting compatbility mode to "Windows 7" fixed it for that OS.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am

It sounds like people need to install Deep Island somewhere other than Program Files.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby diafero » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Well, that's what I am telling everyone since Vista was released: Put Deep Island (and your offline installation as well) into your user profile, e.g. "Saved Games". Then at least the basic stuff (like, file access) will still work the way it did when Uru was written...

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby MarkWilliam81 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Diafero, curious am I understanding you now that the shard should be installed "as in using the uru.exe file" (first) separately, (then) overlapped it with the CC game that was copied to the Saved Games folder?
Doesnt sound right, but just checking if I understand.
MarkWilliam81

Postby diafero » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 am

No, you should have separate Uru folders for each installation. For example, store DI in "Saved Games\Deep Island", and the offline-Uru:CC in "Saved Games\Uru offline", or whatever names you like. Also see this Uru installation guide.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Deep Island