Mistakes with Details

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Mistakes with Details

Postby Ehren » Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 pm

I know this could really make me look over-complaining or nitpicking, but I always thought the details of Uru were important, and there are some mistakes that have bothered me for awhile because they seem like they'd be easy to fix anyway... I just feel like I need to point them out, even if they don't actually get fixed. Though I hope it will at least be taken note of. I swear I'm trying to be helpful not rude!

1. In Payiferen, the lighting is messed up, which is especially apparent at night. The small rocks and sand clouds outside the pod windows are lit up in an odd way while the rest of the scenery is dark. The problem comes from a page called Payiferen_District_payiWalkable.prp. The problem could be fixed by not using the page anymore, or maybe by editing out the weird light it makes? It really makes things look wrong at night, so I think this would be highly worth fixing.

2. In the city, there are some link books, they have the page textures from MOUL with the left share page and the right Yeesha stamped page. For some reason though, the textures show up on the books backwards. Both the left and right page are applied to the correct side of the book but it displays each texture itself as mirrored. So in first person you will see "share book" written backwards with a backwards hands design and a mirrored Yeesha symbol on the other page. This is a smaller issue, but I wouldn't think it would be hard to correct.

I am posting this at Deep Island forum because I don't currently use the offline User KI on my offline version of Uru (I've been doing my own hacking experimenting there), so even though I'd guess these mistakes exist on that version too I'm only 100% sure about them existing on Deep Island.
Ehren

Re: Mistakes with Details

Postby diafero » Thu May 30, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks for your reports - I did not notice either issue before. It's amazing which little mistakes are noticed by people ;-)

1. In Payiferen, the lighting is messed up, which is especially apparent at night. The small rocks and sand clouds outside the pod windows are lit up in an odd way while the rest of the scenery is dark. The problem comes from a page called Payiferen_District_payiWalkable.prp. The problem could be fixed by not using the page anymore, or maybe by editing out the weird light it makes? It really makes things look wrong at night, so I think this would be highly worth fixing.
That page makes it possible to walk around outside the Pod in Payiferen, which is lots of fun, so I'd prefer not to remove it. I guess it's possible to edit the prp and remove the light (it contains two plDirectionalLightInfo), which I assume was added to light the avatar. Of course it'd be best if the light could be changed to affect the avatar only. Does someone know the flags on the PRP objects needed to achieve this?

2. In the city, there are some link books, they have the page textures from MOUL with the left share page and the right Yeesha stamped page. For some reason though, the textures show up on the books backwards. Both the left and right page are applied to the correct side of the book but it displays each texture itself as mirrored. So in first person you will see "share book" written backwards with a backwards hands design and a mirrored Yeesha symbol on the other page. This is a smaller issue, but I wouldn't think it would be hard to correct.
Those books were created by GPNMilano, and I just have the PRP files. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to patch the PRP to fix the texture mapping. Chloe, if you are reading this, do you still have the source files available to fix this?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby GPNMilano » Fri May 31, 2013 11:33 am

diafero wrote:]Those books were created by GPNMilano, and I just have the PRP files. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to patch the PRP to fix the texture mapping. Chloe, if you are reading this, do you still have the source files available to fix this?

My old source files for this are unfortunately on an old internal drive that I don't have access to at the moment (Old Drive was IDE versus SATA for the new build system) however I patched the prps for you. You can get them at CityBooks053113
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby GPNMilano » Fri May 31, 2013 11:51 am

Also, because I'm awesome like that, here's an updated PayiferenWalkable with the light only affecting the avatar. PayiferenWalkable05312013
GPNMilano

Postby diafero » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:56 am

Wow, cool :) I'm going to install them this evening or tomorrow.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 pm

GPNMilano wrote:Also, because I'm awesome like that, here's an updated PayiferenWalkable with the light only affecting the avatar. PayiferenWalkable05312013

:+1:

(Aww, where's the thumbs-up emote?)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:10 am

How about:
Attachments
Thumbs-Up.gif
Thumbs-Up.gif (13.73 KiB) Viewed 7026 times
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby diafero » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

I just put these files on the Shard. Ehren, I would appreciate if you could re-check, you seem to have a good eye for such details :)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Ehren » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm

The outside of Payiferen and the museum books look perfect now. The library is almost perfect, the Minkata book is the ONLY one that still has anything backwards. And even that is only on the "share book" side, the Yeesha stamp page is correct.

I would definitely say they are all big improvements!
Ehren

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Wouldn't you know, my luck I'd miss the one book that had a different layer name than all the others. New version with fixed Minkata book here
GPNMilano

Next

Return to Deep Island