A Small Request

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: A Small Request

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Fear not Zesty, I have sent the clothing files to Diafero. Hopefully they should be up soon. I'm very sorry it took so long, however as a special bonus for waiting so long I've included a special clothing item to go with your hair style. There's a slight issue with the special clothing item, and how it looks in the closet (mostly an alpha issue with the texture, that when i get some time to fix I will do so.) However it's only really noticeable in the closet. I do hope you enjoy it, I know I do.

Wam, I'm very sorry but I forgot to work on your headdress while I was awaiting approval from the other clothing owners. Please forgive me. I do intend to get to work on it with my next batch of clothing updates, and I'm so sorry you've waited this long. I only remembered Zesty's because she was so persistent in her request that it was difficult for me to forget it.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Hey I am a patient individual - LOL

My next dream and possible request would be for a Coup Stick - this would allow others to make use of their collected feathers if they did not desire a headress.

Thank you for all of the hard work that you have done for us, Believe me - we do appreciate it
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Wamduskasapa wrote:Hey I am a patient individual - LOL

My next dream and possible request would be for a Coup Stick - this would allow others to make use of their collected feathers if they did not desire a headress.

Thank you for all of the hard work that you have done for us, Believe me - we do appreciate it

Wam, I like this idea. As you pointed out, Native American Headresses are traditionally made from no more than 4 different birds. Is this the same with the Coup Stick? If it is, then the 13 feathers that are in Uru could fit on the two (Headdress and Coup stick) together without breaking that tradition.

Also, regarding the Coup Stick, I've been doing an image search on Google of them, can you fill me in on any information I need to know when designing one. I've noticed that some have bird claws and other items besides feathers on them. Is this normal?
GPNMilano

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:16 am

Counting coup refers to the act of a warrior of the Plains Indians of North America and their winning of prestige in battle. Warriors won prestige by acts of bravery in the face of the enemy, and these acts could be recorded in various ways and retold as stories. Any blow struck against the enemy counted as a coup, but the most prestigious acts included touching an enemy warrior with the hand, bow, or with a coup stick then escaping unharmed. Touching the first enemy to die in battle or touching the enemy's defensive works also counted as a coup. Counting coup could also involve stealing an enemy's weapons or horses tied up to his lodge in camp. Any act during wartime that involved the Risk of injury or death was counted as a coup.

Escaping unharmed while counting coup was considered a higher honor than being wounded in the attempt. A warrior who won coup was permitted to wear an eagle feather in his hair and or a feather attached to their Coup Stick. If they had been wounded in the attempt, however, they were required to paint their feather to indicate this.

After a battle or exploit, the people of a tribe would gather together to recount their acts of bravery and "count coup." Coups were recorded by putting notches in a coup stick and attaching their feathers. Indians of the Pacific Northwest would also attach an eagle feather to their coup stick for each coup counted, but many nations did not follow the tradition of placing feathers upon a Coup Stick some only used a spirit stick with attached feathers. There were even some Nations that did not use Coup Sticks, Spirit Sticks or Dance Staffs. Among the Blackfeet and Blackfoot nations, coup would be recorded by the placement of "coup bars" on the sleeves and shoulders of a special shirt that bore paintings of the warrior's exploits in battle. Multiple shirts of this sort have survived to the present, including some in European museums...

Image Image

Here are two pictures of my coup Stick (Spirit Staff) without the attached feathers. With the attached feathers the Spirit Staff would be barely visible. Yes it only had 13 eagle feathers, but it also had 25 other feathers denoting injures and other acts of recognized bravery. I will not brag about what was accomplished while I was in the military. By custom I keep the staff bare and the sacred feathers placed within their cedar box, until a pow wow or a meeting of elders. Then the staff is blessed, smudged and the feathers then attached.
Wamduskasapa

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:23 pm

aw i am to get a special clothing item too ? aw, thanks a lot milano. and if doesn't look well in the closet it really doesn't matter much. i know it bothers you as a creator, it would bother me too but finally nobody see us when we are in the closet right ? it is important how it looks like in the game :)
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:07 am

GPNMilano wrote:Also, regarding the Coup Stick, I've been doing an image search on Google of them, can you fill me in on any information I need to know when designing one. I've noticed that some have bird claws and other items besides feathers on them. Is this normal?

I you look at the Coup Stick (Dance Staff, Lodge Staff, Spirit Staff, etc.) it will identify the individual and/or nation. No two are ever the same. The feathers (if attached) are displayed in the order that they were received. and could be of many different birds. In addition they also could have animal parts attached or could be caved in the likeness of an animal.

If we were to take my staff it is carved in the fashion of a snake (identifying my Spirit Guide {a Wamduska} Snake) The color of the eye is also significant, it is also significant that the eye has an eyebrow (the type of hair is also important) mine is cougar). The staff also identifies my birth information. It has the cured hide of a bear and lacing of a buffalo. The very first feather is of a raven, then my Eagle feathers (and three Golden Eagle feathers). There are also owl and hawk feathers. finally you will notice that my staff is stained black, white and red, this is also significant. The staff as a whole identifies me as an individual (showing that I am retired USAF), and from the Dakota Sioux.
If you have visited the above internet pages you will have noticed that all feathers are hand painted turkey feathers, this is to avoid federal regulations as pertaining to the endangered species act.
At the bottom of this internet page is a Medicine Wheel Reference Chart
Wamduskasapa

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:22 am

I just installed the update Chloe (aka GPNMilano) sent me. Of course I could not test the new female hair styles, so please let me know if it works :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby GPNMilano » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 am

diafero wrote:I just installed the update Chloe (aka GPNMilano) sent me. Of course I could not test the new female hair styles, so please let me know if it works :)

Just tested the female stuff. It's working like it did in my offline tests. Others should try it out just to confirm though. :)
GPNMilano

Postby Acorn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:11 am

diafero wrote:I just installed the update Chloe (aka GPNMilano) sent me. Of course I could not test the new female hair styles, so please let me know if it works :)

Will we get them on UAM too? It would be fun to have some new looks to try out!
Acorn

Postby diafero » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 am

Well, I could release a new version of the Offline KI containing these changes. I'd not really be comfortable making them a separate package as we have to replace Cyan-provided files. However, I'd prefer to wait a bit longer until some more changes accumulate, to avoid having too many releases.
Until then, you can help yourself: After logging in to Deep Island, copy all the files starting with "GlobalClothing" in the dat folder from your DI to your offline installation (you should already have the Offline KI installed!).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island