Rell-too

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Rell-too

Postby Jogi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 am

Deledrius wrote:
Wamduskasapa wrote:As far as a "Run-Lock" key why don't you use the "Caps-Lock" key??

CapsLock only toggles the run modifier. I'm talking about using the typical NumLock to cause my avatar to auto-run without the need to hold down a key.

For all my favorite W-A-S-D games I use the left-half of my gamepad (the right hand is still on the mouse) in conjunction with JoyToKey.
There are many additional options such as, for example, a toggle function.

Jogi

Postby Jojon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 am

Ainia wrote:...I'd always found the combo lock rather non-intuitive myself. I'm wondering if your puzzle box could be used to the same effect as the Riven classroom game, providing clues about the combo lock symbol meanings (or somesuch). For instance, perhaps the correct symbol combo spells something?

Hmm, that's a thought. It would require deciding on a new location for the box, that is reachable before the code-locked door, and figuring out a way to make it a learning tool, without needing a learning tool to understand the learning tool, but I'll certainly keep it in mind. :)

I could fall back on the tried and tested Note/Journal formula, to hint the combination, even though it is rather overdone... Leave a notepad with some scribbles on in the lab perhaps, outlining somebody's quest to figure out the code... Maybe have the bottom of the page torn off and make it obvious it held the completed code -- could have made for a traditional pencil-rubbing puzzle, had URU been an inventory-based game. :7

Calena wrote:...drop down that rock chute and that "Poof!" thing happens...

Little bit of trivia: As may be obvious, the poof sound is the simple product of blowing into the microphone, as is the bang the stone door makes when it falls - the latter has "a bit" of digital reverb added, though. :9
The "drum" that follows, however, is a just palm slapping a small metal staircase inside a wind turbine pylon (if you listen, knowing what you hear, you can hear traffic go by, outside), so its reverb is 100% natural. :) (The horrible tummy-ache wailing, that was there briefly, was taken at the same time, whilst taking a rest halfway up the ladder in the pylon. :P)

Calena wrote:...run, run, run...

There was a worry about how much hate there would be, from players who'd run all the way up the first tower and then all the way down again, on its less protruding helix, only to discover that they need to climb down and power the lift before it can be used, and then do the cork screw all over again. :P

Rarely have trouble with griefers myself; prefer solitary playing in general. :7
Jojon

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:23 am

so nice of you to share the photo of yourself Wamduskasapa :)
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Ainia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Shorah Jojon,

Jojon wrote:
Ainia wrote:...I'd always found the combo lock rather non-intuitive myself. I'm wondering if your puzzle box could be used to the same effect as the Riven classroom game, providing clues about the combo lock symbol meanings (or somesuch). For instance, perhaps the correct symbol combo spells something?

Hmm, that's a thought. It would require deciding on a new location for the box, that is reachable before the code-locked door, and figuring out a way to make it a learning tool, without needing a learning tool to understand the learning tool, but I'll certainly keep it in mind. :)

I could fall back on the tried and tested Note/Journal formula, to hint the combination, even though it is rather overdone... Leave a notepad with some scribbles on in the lab perhaps, outlining somebody's quest to figure out the code... Maybe have the bottom of the page torn off and make it obvious it held the completed code -- could have made for a traditional pencil-rubbing puzzle, had URU been an inventory-based game. :7

In Rell-too's current state, it would work fine for you to leave the puzzle box in place, though solving the puzzle of the chute would be redundant. But I've always wanted to explore other areas of that underground cave (caves?), so perhaps adding a bit more to explore in there (as a reward) and a locked door to the lakeside would work nicely. (And while I'm at it, I've been hoping for other explorable nooks and crannies to appear along the path down to the lake... No such thing as too much 'splorin'! ;) )
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby diafero » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:35 am

The behaviour you describe, Zesty, is definitely not acceptable. We don't have any official policy or anything about such incidents as honestly, this is the first time I get reports about someone misbehaving like this. So if you would like to tell me some more details (like the explorer's avatar name) in private message - or even better, via e-mail - then I can recognize that person if there are further complaints, and I could send him/her a message. Of course I could ban the DI account (or Hoikas could ban the associated forum account), but I don't think that would be of much help as everyone can easily register a new accounts in the forums.

Is there anything you do on the Gehn Shard in such cases, except for offering the /shun command (which is like, self-defence)? I don't think I will have the time to implement /shun in the near future, but of course contributions to the Offline KI are all welcome. The code is available at gitorious (https://gitorious.org/offline-ki). I think the easiest solution would be to hide avatars which are on the ignore list, but it seems to me that the gehn /shun list is independent of the ignore list?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Deledrius » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:30 am

As far as I'm aware, no such incidents have occurred on Gehn thus far.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Previous

Return to Deep Island