Rell-too

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Rell-too

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 am

... a really nice made age that we started to play today only we had a player stalking kirk and me for the last 20 mins of our playing and telling us what's there and what he found although we politely asked him to leave us alone and stop spoiling our game. he didn't respect what we said and continued staying very close to us, following us everywhere and we had no other choice but to leave the game. :(
Zesty of Xeniphers

Re: Rell-too

Postby Sirius » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:21 am

Push him off the edge next time ! :lol:

I wish the server could auto-kick stupid people...
I think Gehn has a /shun command which makes stalkers magically disappear, but IIRC it's not in DI.

By the way, Rell-too is a community project. If anyone is interested in contributing, you should contact Jojon 8-)
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:47 pm

I've met people like that in real life. They just don't understand when they're violating someone's desire for solitude.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ainia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Shorah Zesty,

Another interesting way to experience Rell-too is to download the older versions and use Drizzle to play each one in order. During Rell-too's development, it was always a treat to look for what each Writer had changed in each new release. Some of those changes are now completely gone from the Age, so the only way to experience them anymore is with one of the older versions.

Obviously, this can be done only offline and only solo, so I realize you and Kirk may not care to try this. ;)
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby janaba » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm

It's a dilemma for both parties ... I mean, some people search for, install and log into an MMO game to explore and enjoy whatever beautiful worlds with other people and then esp. in MOULa and its available shards in the recent years they meet either no one or they meet mavericks or lone wolfs or 'private parties' or 'clubs' who love to stay with or amongst themselves ... :P

This is absolutely not meant to put blame on anyone, and it is also understandable for those who decide and love to enjoy their own company sometimes or even always, but when I read or see this it goes through me somehow sometimes, and no, I don't let it come to me too much lol, but it's a pity somehow ... It was just last week that a newly arrived asked on the MOUL forums where everyone would be, he just arrived in the cavern and there was no one ... I just feel this a bit, I imagine how they excitedly find out about Uru Live, install the whole 'thing', maybe even with complications and challenges for their computers, then when they're set to go and meet all those great people and link into the cavern there is nobody and even if they meet someone they might want to be with themselves, which is their right, absolutely ... OK, just sayin' ... it is just a pity and a dilemma for both sometimes ... that's life, yeah, of course ... :)
janaba

Postby Jojon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Thank you for visiting and enjoying the efforts of the contributors, Zesty. :)

Sirius wrote:Push him off the edge next time ! :lol:

I wish the server could auto-kick stupid people...
I think Gehn has a /shun command which makes stalkers magically disappear, but IIRC it's not in DI.

Hmm, we do have /shout, so perhaps a /fus-roh-da... :P

Sirius wrote:By the way, Rell-too is a community project. If anyone is interested in contributing, you should contact Jojon 8-)

Indeed. :)

Here is a slightly less involving way to take part, should anybody want to, that doesn't necessarily require taking a full turn:

When the "commentaries" standard was added, I was thinking of also adding multi-tiered help nodes, that players could hit repeatedly for progressively less subtle hints on how to solve a puzzle.
Does anybody feel there are currently any places in which such hint nodes might be needed? (I imagine something to reveal the locations of combination code parts would be a prime suspect :7). -Any suggestions on what these increasingly blatant help texts should say?

In addition: Any ideas on how to make the puzzles (...or puzzle-oids, as the case may be) more intuitive (but still taxing), in the first place? -A puzzle must, as we all know, never /require/ one to read external guides, in order to get past them; If pointers to the solution are not innate to the puzzle itself, it should involve non-contrived hints, through the narrative of the world, that feel like they fit in. (In the case of the Rell-Too combination lock, e.g; the code wheels suggest a logical numbering system, and one part of the code is scribbled right there, in the same room, suggesting that others can be found in the environment and in what form. The other parts come paired with their digit place (none of which is, naturally, larger than the length of the combination total). Is this enough, or should it be designed in some manner that doesn't leave you with quite so many ways to interepret it?)

Also: I'll take ideas on how to make the "puzzle box" (you'll know if you have seen it) interactive.
I intended it as a two player game, but couldn't think of any good game mechanic, given the box's limited entropy depth; just ones that inevitably end up in Tic-Tac-Toe kind assured_victory/deadlock scenarios. :7
It could also be a puzzle of any sort., or a sub-puzzle, which produces a hint to another, once completed, or whatever your imagination sparks...
Jojon

Postby Ainia » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Shorah Jojon,

I'd always found the combo lock rather non-intuitive myself. I'm wondering if your puzzle box could be used to the same effect as the Riven classroom game, providing clues about the combo lock symbol meanings (or somesuch). For instance, perhaps the correct symbol combo spells something?

Hmm, dunno...
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:19 am

well, first of all kirk (my husband) and i by no means want to be alone or have out 'private party' or play alone all the time. we LOVE interacting with people but like in RL not always and not with ALL the people. we are founders of GUILD OF HELPERS are we help new players regularly in MOULA. but we want to reserve the right to be LEFT ALONE when we choose so. and also the right NOT to have our game spoiled by someone telling us how to go through the age even though we politely asked not to be told that. i would never ever imposter myself on a group of people that are obviously in the middle of doing something of their own and ask not to be disturbed. such behaviour is rude, selfish and inconsiderate and there should be a way to get protected from imposters and rude people.
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Annabelle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:05 am

Zesty of Xeniphers wrote:well, first of all kirk (my husband) and i by no means want to be alone or have out 'private party' or play alone all the time. we LOVE interacting with people but like in RL not always and not with ALL the people. we are founders of GUILD OF HELPERS are we help new players regularly in MOULA. but we want to reserve the right to be LEFT ALONE when we choose so. and also the right NOT to have our game spoiled by someone telling us how to go through the age even though we politely asked not to be told that. i would never ever imposter myself on a group of people that are obviously in the middle of doing something of their own and ask not to be disturbed. such behaviour is rude, selfish and inconsiderate and there should be a way to get protected from imposters and rude people.

Put that explorer on the ignore list. This way you won't be spoiled no more.

because you cannot tell anyone on Deep Island to leave a public age... They have the same right to be there as you are.

And consider something that might not be obvious coming from a native English-speaker but that is always a possibility in the mind of a native foreign language speaker ---> not everyone playing URU speaks or even understands English ;). Even if you use simple English words, they might not even understand it at all. How many times I saw age writers trying to please the mass translating their age e.g. denost's Somewhere & Iceworld ending up with texts hardly understandables? For instance, his texts are written in English using French syntax...
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:54 am

he is an english speaker annabelle. he was able to make completely correct and game spoiling sentences. we said no, thank you. is NO so difficult to understand ? and also, it is not about what he said but about what he did. how can you play when someone is constantly standing on your way, so close to you that you can't see anything except his avatar face or body ? he did that intentionally, there is no doubt about that. and his intentions were not good. he was literally pushing his avatar into ours :( following us every step of the way. it was impossible to play. i see he is in the game right now and if he stays we are not going to play in Deep Island today.
btw how do i put someone on 'ignore'. as far as i know i won't receive his messages but he will still be there, pushing himself into us :( that really should not be allowed.
Zesty of Xeniphers

Next

Return to Deep Island