SOMEWHERE & ICEWORLD

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

SOMEWHERE & ICEWORLD

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:07 am

hello everyone, kirk and i have been playing SOMEWHERE for a few days, really enjoyed it until the point when we came to the pool like area with special tiles through which we can go to the grey room below and other lower green room as well. well, the problem is the the tile with the special design that leads to the green (lower room) is almost impossible to reach. it sometimes take 30 minutes of blind jumps to finally fall through. this takes all the fun away from the game and makes us give it up :( i wonder is there any reasonable way to reach this tile because blindly jumping for 30 mins is really ridiculous.
P.S. we have managed to get through and mind you it took half of our gaming time to do it but today, in order to continue the game we have to do it again. :evil: please creators of the game make it reasonable because a game has to be fun.
thanks for any inputs.
Last edited by Zesty of Xeniphers on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zesty of Xeniphers

Re: SOMEWHERE AGE

Postby Kirk of Xeniphers » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:24 am

I agree , jumping to that tile is very hit and miss , or have we missed something ???
Kirk of Xeniphers

Postby Annabelle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:41 am

You have in your hands my walkthrough as Zesty asked me where she could find one...

25 should be your lucky number ;)

Oh and BTW... you should maybe ask before making assumptions:
P.S. we have managed to get through and mind you it took half of our gaming time to do it but today, in order to continue the game we have to do it again. :evil: please creators of the game make it reasonable because a game has to be fun.

Somewhere wasn't intended to be solved in 1 day. I finally made it after quite a few months. My walkthrough isn't 69 pages long for nothing... these 2 ages (Somewhere & Iceworld) are quite complex. All the clues are inside the age itself, reading story & exploring is sufficient, you have even my walkthrough.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:42 pm

not sure we understand each other here. we didn't mean to solve the game in one day. we asked for a walk-through because of that place, a specific place in the game that we find amazingly frustrating. it took me today one full hour of jumping to finally go through that tile. when that happened we had only a little time left for further explorations so we didn't go far which means we have to do that jump again tomorrow in order to continue :shock: . we really won't go far if we have to dedicate 2/3 of our playing time to a single jump....... it doesn't really make any sense to me. and annabelle we didn't mean to use you walk-through to take us through the game, it would spoil the fun for us, it was meant to be used when and if we get stuck for a long time which happened with that wretched tile but there is nothing in your walk-through that helped us understand why we have such a great difficulty with it. we are still not sure if it was designed to be so or is it some sort of a glitch. it just doesn't make any sense :(
Zesty of Xeniphers

Some puzzle-solving philosophy needed :)

Postby Annabelle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Let me help you with the way we have to solve Somewhere & some puzzle-solving philosophy...

Denost, despite the big lagging effect still present in his age did one marvel age (in fact 2...Iceworld is a marvel too). It might not be appealing to all explorers though, it appealed to me. I SO hated solving Kadish Tolesa for instance...

Why Kadish Tolesa is unlogical for me? Because it makes no freaking sense... You stumble on scopes which are not well-aligned, you must understand that there's a Gallery somewhere else (in Ae'gura) built in the grandeur of this delusional Guildmaster who thought he could master time & space (in fact he wasn't, he just pretended he could and made Ahnonay for the sake of luring d'ni civilians into thinking he could master time & space...how sneaky :lol: ). So back to that gallery... You see paintings & art objects all over the place & you get all the answers from them. You have no insight, no backstory, nothing (at least not that I'm aware of). So you just wander from one location to the other inside Kadish Tolesa not knowing exactly what you are doing or what your goal is. It's amazingly astonishingly beautiful though. I love Kadish Tolesa, I don't get the point of the puzzles inside it though...

Here you have a fan-made age: Somewhere. You are lost at the beginning not able to go far. You have to wander through what you can visit easily. Someone went there before you, Gary. He left you clues, he tells you his journey. You have to connect together the clues as they are spread across that huge area. It's like a detective on a crime scene.

------
Let's see 2 case-scenarios and choose the best-fit one.

Scenario A: the criminal put all the clues in a secluted room in his first crime location to help the detectives find his motive & all the other crime scenes yet to come...

Scenario B: the criminal leaves some clues in one crime scene, then some others in the 2nd crime scene, etc. One day the detectives will end this crime-spree as they will have enough clues, as they will have enough connections between clue A, clue B, & clue C to build a whole portrait & reach the villain before the next crime...

The scenario B is more plausible
------

Somewhere solving scheme is far more advanced than most ages including those of Cyan...(especially Kadish Tolesa). An age-writer coming to me and asking me tips on how to build puzzles for URU fan-age: I'd say to them to tackle on Somewhere/Iceworld, I mean it. :)

You not only have a story on one side and puzzle on the other side which are not interconnected... It's great to learn about the delusion of grandeur of Guildmaster Kadish on one hand but if all his puzzles left in our ways intended to block our paths toward his secret have no bloody explanations other than, here's a gallery exposing my grandeur, serve yourselves every puzzles are solved right before your eyes...it's not even fun. Gary left clues all over Somewhere & Iceworld so another explorer coming after him could reach or try to reach him, maybe to help him escape (we don't know much).

------
My preferred marvel in Iceworld is not the landscape nor the bases nor the final area, it's right on the ground in the middle of nowhere in the frozen desert. You see something, a landmark. Later on during your journey, if you come across this landmark again, it will have evolved, it will have followed you through your journey, it will tell you exactly your past, your present, & hint you at your future. You don't have to look up in the sky, you have it on ground level. You need to force yourself & follow the paths. You have no idea so you take, let's say, the path "A". You'll eventually realize you followed a path going to your past. Back to the landmark, you then decide to follow the path "B" instead, unchartered unlike path "A". Hurray! You found a path to your future, but which future it is? The near future, the one right after, the far future? You have no clue other than hints accumulated up to your present time. Your future is easy to foresee, you can do trial-and-errors. At one time, you'll eventually find the near future, the "future" that will become your "present", and then your "past". Iceworld is one marvel age in its design.
------

So back to my walkthrough/journey log (In Search of Gary's Whereabouts)...the key is right before your eyes. It took me hundred of hours to come up with that text just because the age solving is so complex. Once solved you realize how clever it was designed. Gary (despite my opinion he went mad) gave all what you need to solve by your own this age. You even get the goal during the story unfolding through the 5 imagers. I just ordered my walkthrough/journey log in the way I think it's the most logical.

If I'm telling you: "400, 400", you should after a while know exactly where to look at. You should have done some links in your head and say: "Oh ok she (Annabelle) is talking about ..., yes because I saw an object lying over there with different numbers, & another one with different numbers too."

If Gary says:

Show Spoiler

I don't know for you but it's as clear as mountain water to me :D

Essentially, I landed in this strange age without any clue whatsoever. I took a path leading to a 1st imager, interesting but yet not telling much, I kept exploring, I stumbled on a 2nd imager, kept going, found a 3rd, then a 4th, & finally found a 5th imager. I gather all the info & make connections between the story told by Gary and the landmarks, the buildings, the landscapes of Somewhere.

Advice:

So basically, my advice is:

build a strong foundation before erecting the house... (make all the necessary connections between the story told by Gary & landmarks/landscapes/buildings before venturing forward in faraway locations...)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Re: SOMEWHERE & ICEWORLD

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:16 am

enjoyed both ages very much in spite of numerous crashes in ICEWORLD. well done !
now we have a question and a request.
Q: is there any possibility to go beyond the wooden gate at the starting point ? we see flags and rocks that seem to have an entrance...
R: is for Annabelle. could you please send us all your marker games for SOMEWHERE and ICEWORLD ? thank you in advance
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Annabelle » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:39 am

Zesty of Xeniphers wrote:enjoyed both ages very much in spite of numerous crashes in ICEWORLD. well done !
now we have a question and a request.
Q: is there any possibility to go beyond the wooden gate at the starting point ? we see flags and rocks that seem to have an entrance...
R: is for Annabelle. could you please send us all your marker games for SOMEWHERE and ICEWORLD ? thank you in advance

Sure you can always download them with my mediafire link on my thread "In Search of Gary's Whereabouts..." on this forum.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6iu3ikefjhc2bcw/Anna1stJourney.7z

What you see beyond Somewhere and that is not reachable is ... Iceworld.
What you see beyond Iceworld and that is not reachable is ... Somewhere.

It's basically the same feature as Elodea where you can see a glimpse of the next age...

I'll say the authors did that because those ages are too big and complex, they had to split their worlds.

and all this make me think that I haven't finish the 2nd video in URU and I haven't publish yet my 2nd journey!!! :roll: :lol:
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:27 pm

Annabelle wrote:Sure you can always download them with my mediafire link on my thread "In Search of Gary's Whereabouts..." on this forum.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6iu3ikefjhc2bcw/Anna1stJourney.7z

Thank you Annabelle but I don't know how to transfer this file them to the DI. I never received marker games this way. I always received them from someone through the game itself.
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Annabelle » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:38 pm

ahh you want them in Deep Island.

Ok then. I asked Diafero to transfer them into the shard (he is the only one habilitated to import quests inside the shard). I didn't check my account yet but he told me about a month ago he had transferred the quests to my avatar. I have some hard time login on the shard lately. I'll tell you when you'll have them in your KI as well as Kirk.

Thanks for your interest in my work :)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:51 am

Annabelle wrote:I have some hard time login on the shard lately.

Yes, we have problems with logging in DI as well, especially Kirk. We have to try several times before we start playing if at all. On weekends it is almost impossible :(
Zesty of Xeniphers

Next

Return to Deep Island