MagiQuest Online Ages

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

MagiQuest Online Ages

Postby Korovev » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:42 pm

I was wondering, is there a legal way of getting the datafiles for MQO? The installer can’t download them for obvious reasons, and I couldn’t find any full installer like the MOULa ones.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Re: MagiQuest Online Ages

Postby Deledrius » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Unfortunately, no. :(
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Seppolo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 am

Magic Quest is no longer available for some time. The MQ Although it was nowhere think made ​​public were shut down is. I also no longer get in the game. :cry:

I still have the complete installation. Perhaps we can agree it somewhere to store? To make it free for everyone to be downloaded to the age to explore at least in a Uru installation. But that is probably as always pose a legal problem.
:roll:

greeting
Seppolo
„Myst will never forgotten“

Seppolo

Postby janaba » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:47 am

The shut down of MQ was actually made public by JWPlatt on October 1st, 2012 on the MOUL forums, please have a look here ... There was even a final celebration and they were celebrating Mac_Fife's birthday by the end of that year 2012 ... :P

If it is still possible to explore those online worlds on other shards or offline if you still have the files I don't know, but you could ask JWPlatt per PM or so if that'd be officially or unofficially possible ... I believe the rights might be with Creative Kingdoms still and I don't know if they are still in the business with their plans back then as posted by JWPlatt here, to keep it all up as a 'Live Action Adventures Game' not online but in RL on the surface so to speak ... The Yas Waterworld at least is still available as it seems, just have a look here what exciting stuff they're providing for the fun and delight for the whole family ... :)

Of course, as Deledrius confirmed it already, those without the files from back then have no alternative to get their hands on those now, but hey, we have so many games and ages and shards around Myst and Uru/MOULa etc. and the world is so full of games haha, we'll never make it through all of them in our present incarnation lol ... :D
janaba

Postby Korovev » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 am

Yep, I’ve read that thread... after the fact :)
I opened my account on MOULa a few month before MQO closed, but I didn’t even know it existed at the time.

That and Hex Isle are the only titles I’m missing to have the Compleat Deep Island :lol:
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Deledrius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Seppolo wrote:Perhaps we can agree it somewhere to store? To make it free for everyone to be downloaded to the age to explore at least in a Uru installation. But that is probably as always pose a legal problem.

Unfortunately, this would be entirely illegal in the US and other countries with similar morally-corrupted intellectual property laws.

Korovev wrote:That and Hex Isle are the only titles I’m missing to have the Complete Deep Island :lol:

I hope that Cyan can get Hex Isle up on GoG.com at some point. I'm sure doing whatever paperwork is needed for that is not a priority for them, unfortunately for us.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Annabelle » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 pm

You know me, you know my style, if not... you'll learn quite fast.

Read my comprehensive guide of all the "Extras" that can be added up to your URU Offline install or Deep Island install using the Drizzle conversion tab:

I own all the "extras" that you can drizzle (Myst 5 EoA, Crowthistle, MagiQuest, & Hex Isles).

Extras that worth the buy:

Myst 5 EoA: Well-known ages although they are not playable, it's nice to be able to explore them with an avatar. Some skydiving tricks can be done here and there too.

Added ages on URU: Releeshan, EoA's Myst Island, Tahgira, Noloben, Todelmer, Laki'ahn, Direbo, & EoA's D'ni-Tiwah (The last age is the most impressive)

Crowthistle Ages: Well-made ages that are very enjoyable to visit. Many discoveries awaits.

Added ages on URU: The Great Marsh & Rowan Green

Extras that you should think twice before buying or importing them:

MagiQuest Online: Unsatisfying. (Disclaimer note: I paid for MQO, I had an account but I never actually played on the server, so everything that follows comes from my own impressions of what I've seen after importing the ages in URU)

Under "Restoration Links" in your Nexus, you'll find the age named "Portal Well". Once linked there, you are in the middle of a pentagon giving you 5 choices...hmm wait, there's only 2 choices :roll: : ClanCourtyard & Twisted Woods.

In ClanCourtyard, you learn that there are 5 clans, namely the "Warrior" (armed guys), the "Shadow" (mysterious guys), the "Majestic" (beautiful, top of the crop guys), the "Woodsy" (nature carers), & the "Trixter" (the joking guys), in other words...the Jocks, the Gothics, the Queen Bee & her followers, the ecolos, & the funny guys, in other words, listen to any Teen oriented movie of the last 2 decades, you'll get the point... In that age, you see 5 nice paintings & you have 2 windows that let you see a landfield.

In Twisted Woods, you are in a more immersive age. Exploring it, you see that there are 2 distinctive parts: the good & the evil. In the good side (where you'll link in), you'll encounter a pretty little fairy, the trees will be full of leaves, the grass green, very friendly side. There's a huge building near the separation line. It's a giant mill with protective tall walls just like a medieval castle. The door will be close. Use flymode to enter. Explore the building normally on foot. Going down to the basement, you can see all the rods & mechanisms at work. There are bird sounds in the background.

You'll come to a small water stream with 2 bridges. Crossing one or the other, you'll find yourself on the evil side. The trees have no leaves, the bird sounds are more creepy (mostly crows), the ground has no greenery. Even the rocks are creepy, I call them "Sorceress' Hat Tops". There's a small canyon at the very end. It has no exit, it's a dead-end. There are some letters spread here and there on the ground.

Twisted Woods is a nice age but it doesn't worth the detour. You can get much more by visiting The Great Marsh in Crowthistle.

Added ages on URU: Portal Well, ClanCourtyard, & Twisted Woods

Cosmic Osmo's Hex Isle: 6 ages...WOW...not really, keep reading...

Catfish Canyon: you link on a floating hexagon over a river at the bottom of a canyon. First thing you see is a skeleton of dead cat"fish" head... let's say cat. The body is not far just 30-40 feet above the head. Looking up high, you see the skeleton of poor "Fluffy" :lol: . That's funny, but again, those are cats not catfish. After the initial shock, you can always jump down in the river. First thing you discover, you are rather small, big as an ant or maybe everything around is rather big, yours to choose. Going on a cat jaw bone, you'll see that your height & the cat canine teeth are approximately the same height...good thing these beasts are dead finally.

Dessert Desert: 2 possibilities here: either you are in paradise on earth, you sooo looovvveee sugar & pastries, or, if you are like me, you feel sick at the display of bad stuff for your health. Ok...there are strawberries, blueberries, & cherries which are good for your health but we do understand that's not the land of healthy. You can explore that whipped cream desert, climbing on desserts or fruits. Again, you feel like an ant considering the size of everything around.

Louder Space: You think at first on your floating hexagon that finally you hit the spot, this age looks gorgeous, there are flying stars, the craters are in fact huge loudspeakers, there are jumping & flying speaker boxes, the space background is really nice, the sound is really atmospheric. Great, you might think... yes until you go off the hexagon :lol: you'll be lost in space let me tell you ;)

Moldy Dungeon: From the Land of the Sugary to the Land of the Fat... You are on a floating hexagon, thanks goodness! There's a lake of... hmm melted cheese. The walls are made of cheese, mostly rotten (they will say blue, I'll say rotten :lol: ) & salty crackers. Just to disgust you, there are flies sound. So unless you are "really" hungry, I wouldn't recommend to take one bite in anything. And giving your size, you are lucky not to see the flies which would be monstrous. You can jump in the fatty lake, you'll drown.

Plasma Miasma: My Goodness! Mama Mia! Sacrebleu! Holly Molly! Ayoye! The reaction will be the same in any culture :lol: . If you want to try an acid trip, I'd suggest you keep your money and your health and link in Plasma Miasma. Staring the screen for 20 mins should be enough to have the equivalent of an acid trip. It's even better in 1st pers view. And you haven't jumped from the floating hexagon yet. It's hard to describe what you are seeing. Have you seen the movie "Tron" (the original movie)? You are in the middle of a tubular grid that keeps revolving on its axe make your mind go crazy. There are squares moving fast toward you. There are strange halos of light (purple, blue, green, & red) moving down the tube making a piercing sound. You can also turn around and now the squares will go away from you. Now for the maximum immersion, you must jump off the hexagon. :lol: If you run always in one direction, you can exit the tubular structure, you'll be in the oblivion for a brief moment before the tubular structure comes back and goes away again.

Pumpkin Jungle: very nicely made, you link on a floating hexagon over a field of pumpkins. The textures are really well done, it looks like an organic tissue, linen-like. You hear crickets and birds. The colours are natural, orange, green, brown, grey, the sky going from pink to blue (pink by the effect of the sun). Once over the pumpkins, after you jumped off the hexagon, you can jump & run on the pumpkins and follow their roots (or attachs), you can do some jumps here & there. I guess you can easily figure out, that's my favorite age ;) :)

So out of 6 ages, I only really enjoy 1, Pumpkin Jungle, and only because I have it not because it is a must have. I paid this game 10 USD on eBay. Is it worth the price I paid? Not really for the usage I make out of it. If you are planning on actually playing this game, then go for it. If you have young kids, they might enjoy these ages more than the "serious" "for daddy or mommy" ages that we are all loving so go for it also. If you are already a grown up, you don't see when or why you would play a game controlling a silly green alien on hexagonal tiles in over-the-top ages, don't spare your money on Cosmic Osmo's Hex Isles.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:17 am

Annabelle, dearest Annabelle, thank you for being you and thus tirelessly making the effort to provide such extensive and comprehensive guides as there are in this case the 'Extras' to our Drizzle installation ... :P

I have of course Myst V and I own the Crowthistle Ages, which are beautiful and enjoyable to explore as you say, and as of now I definitely know that I do not really miss a thing when not owning and looking into MQO and Cosmic Osmo's Hex Isle, though MQO might in general and at least be beautiful to look at, but I don't know and it doesn't matter as it is over anyway ... Not that I make my decisions based on the reviews and perceptions of others, not at all, but I never felt an urge to have these games anyway, so it was just affirming in one way or another ... So, yeah, thanks a lot again, Annabelle ... :)
janaba

Postby Deledrius » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:45 am

Hex Isle is a fun little platformer puzzle game. It's pretty impressive and solid, IMO. Of course, playing it inside of Uru will not be a very good experience. Uru's controls are horrid for it, and the engine doesn't support some of the nice graphical enhancements they added to Hex Isle. It's essentially a 3D lights-out type game, with a few twists. If you're into that sort of gameplay, it's great. If you're not, you won't find much else in it.

MQO was disappointing all around, not the least because as a tie-in product, it ends mid-story with "Visit one of our store locations that you'll need to travel to another state for to see the next chapter!" nonsense. Also it was visually unimpressive, the puzzles were not clever, and the live-action acting ranged from "well, that was a bit odd" to "did someone actually pay this person for this performance?" The game wasn't all bad, but it was so uneven and limited that it's safe to say that anyone who didn't get to try it didn't miss out on a whole lot.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Acorn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Annabelle wrote:Extras that worth the buy:

Crowthistle Ages: Well-made ages that are very enjoyable to visit. Many discoveries awaits.

Added ages on URU: The Great Marsh & Rowan Green

If Annabelle recommends it, that's good enough for me! We have similar tastes, after all ;) I've just ordered the book with CD on ebay. :D Thanks for the review, Annabelle - and glad to see that janaba agrees!

janaba wrote:
I have of course Myst V and I own the Crowthistle Ages, which are beautiful and enjoyable to explore as you say

I too have Myst V (of course); I'll pass on the rest for now.
Acorn

Next

Return to Deep Island