Elodea

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Elodea

Postby TrapperDave » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks Ainia :)
But I guess I still don't understand something ? Are you saying if I had all the journey cloths
and the blue button worked for me, which it did three times. Then someone else resets the age,
I will loose all my journey cloths and need to start all over again ? When the blue button
stopped working for me I reset the age thinking that might fix the problem, but it didn't.
If I reset the age do I loose all my progress ( all the journey cloths I had) ?
Or worse yet, if I return to the game and another person has reset the age while I was gone from
one day to the next, are all my journey cloths lost and I need to start all over again ?
Maybe a good reason to play offline ... :lol:
Thank You for your help !
TrapperDave Ki #00151142
Lost somewhere in Elsewhere for a long time
TrapperDave

Postby Acorn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:02 am

TrapperDave wrote:Maybe a good reason to play offline ... :lol:

Yes, but we don't have the update of Elodea on UAM yet :cry: - still waiting, Dulcamara and Diafero, any news on when we might get it?
Acorn

Postby Annabelle » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 am

TrapperDave wrote:Thanks Ainia :)
But I guess I still don't understand something ? Are you saying if I had all the journey cloths
and the blue button worked for me, which it did three times. Then someone else resets the age,
I will loose all my journey cloths and need to start all over again ? When the blue button
stopped working for me I reset the age thinking that might fix the problem, but it didn't.
If I reset the age do I loose all my progress ( all the journey cloths I had) ?
Or worse yet, if I return to the game and another person has reset the age while I was gone from
one day to the next, are all my journey cloths lost and I need to start all over again ?
Maybe a good reason to play offline ... :lol:
Thank You for your help !

Yes, anytime you reset an age, you loose all of your progress. If someone else reset the age, the same phenomenon occurs. It might be frustrating but see it from another point of view. If you play let say on Friday night and you got 25 clothes out of 28. Someone comes in Saturday morning and see that clothes are mostly all touched, that person won't be happy at all so they will reset the game to start from fresh.

And if someone like me play in a given age, you can be sure that I will reset the age I was playing in before I log off because I find it better for the next person that come and play.

So with that said: 2 choices
1) playing offline (which is what I'm doing most of the time, apart when a new age is only available online (New Elodea))
2) playing online but reserve a lot of time to play, and if you are short of time, take good note to remember all the tricks, nips, clothes, or whatever puzzles of the age you're trying to solve
:)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Sirius » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Acorn wrote:We don't have the update of Elodea on UAM yet :cry: - still waiting, Dulcamara and Diafero, any news on when we might get it?
As far as I know, Diafero is away for the moment - he might be back soon, though.
However, as long as you have visited the Age on DI once, you can play it offline quite easily, if you don't mind a bit of "manual" labor. Copy any file starting with the Age's name from DI's dat, python, sdl and sfx folder to your offline install - that usually does the trick, although you may miss a file.

Annabelle wrote:Yes, anytime you reset an age, you loose all of your progress. If someone else reset the age, the same phenomenon occurs. It might be frustrating but see it from another point of view. If you play let say on Friday night and you got 25 clothes out of 28. Someone comes in Saturday morning and see that clothes are mostly all touched, that person won't be happy at all so they will reset the game to start from fresh.
Yes, that's a bit annoying in these public instances. It would be cool if we had a command to save the current Age progress on your local install, so that it can be restored anytime. I'm not sure that's feasible though. Saving Elodea's journey clothes would be possible, however I'm not sure if it's possible to save animations - imagine a door that is entirely PRP controlled, these may not be saved.

Although it's not much of a problem in Fan-Ages, there is also the issue of using this feature to cheat.
Sirius

Postby Annabelle » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:49 pm

@Sirius: I did try to copy the new Elodea files prp, sfx, avi, python, sdl, etc. but it didn't work out well. I was denied access on URU:CC. So I reverted the whole mess I made. Maybe I missed something in the process...
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby TrapperDave » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Thank You Annabelle for the Info :)
--
Annabelle wrote: If you play let say on Friday night and you got 25 clothes out of 28. Someone comes in Saturday morning and see that clothes are mostly all touched, that person won't be happy at all so they will reset the game to start from fresh.

--
You are implying 28 cloths in all 4 ages ? Am I to understand that if any one of the four ages are reset, then all 4 of
Elodea ( main island), Elodeas Unterwelt, Elodeas Tunnelgang, and Elodeas Schartzkammern are also reset?
So if someone else in Elodea resets that age, then I will also be reset in Schartzkammern?
Then you must be cautious & check if anybody are playing in all four ages before you reset any one of them ?
hmm ... an angry peep might come looking for you LOL
How do you see if a cloth has been touched by another ? Maybe I just didn't see that happen yet ? The cloth doesn't work
for another if it's been touched before ? i am just curious because I don't want to mess another peep up ! :)
TrapperDave Ki #00151142
Lost somewhere in Elsewhere for a long time
TrapperDave

Postby Ainia » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:28 am

Shorah again, TrapperDave,

So far as I can tell, the only way to tell the Age's current state is to check the sun stone for each level (the cloth inside a big shiny sun symbol at the beginning of each level) and the blue button for each level.

The sun stones behave like the Yeesha journey cloth/spiral pages we get in our Age books, linking you to the last touched cloth in each level. If Elodea has been reset, then the sunstone won't link you anywhere because no cloths have been touched yet.

And the blue buttons won't work until all seven cloths in the level have been touched.

Unlike the Cyan Ages, each Elodea cloth is hard coded for its sequence. For instance, at the Cleft, the first cloth touched will illuminate as cloth 1, etc. while in Elodea the first cloth touched will illuminate as its assigned number. So in Elodea, the cloth illumination will not tell you how far you have progressed, only which cloth number you have found.

I expect this behavior is inevitable because of the coding requirements for the cloth behavior, and is why all the journey cloth/spiral cloth Cyan Ages are private instances. Likely it's either a coding nightmare or literally impossible to have personalized states in a publicly shared Age. Which means that since Elodea is a publicly shared Age on DI, occasional Age resets is the best compromise we have.

An Age reset applies to all four levels in Elodea (I.e., the entire Age), so yes, it's very important to check first before running the reset command! On DI, it's easy to see everyone on the shard since there is only one Hood, which makes everyone neighbors. The KI will show you everyone's location; or you can send a KI message to your neighbors to check if they are in Elodea. The former is more reliable since some of us turn off our KIs or might be /afk and so miss a KI message.
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Dulcamara » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:59 am

Hello everyone :)
Elodea, ElodeasUnterwelt, ElodeasTunnelgang and ElodeasSchatzkammern
are four separate Ages.
Although there are a total of 28 clothes to find, but that does NOT mean that if on of the ages was reset that all cloth must be re-searched. :lol:
You have found the 7 cloth in the upperworld? You have open the closed door and found the Key for the next age behind?
You are readdy. Upperworld is done.
So to the next step......Underworld
Each Age is playing separately for itself.
This means it is not necessary to find all 28 Cloth to open the doors in ElodeasSchatzkammern.
You need seven cloth to open the door near the treasure and you need the hint or "key" from Underworld to open the next door.
If an age is clomplete, you can directly link through the second Elodea book in your shelf in this next part.

The sun with the linkcloth at the beginning on each age is only a help to find other explorers after a crash.
But it is true: Was the age reset you see that you do not link. You see a wellcome in the chat. Was anybody before you in the age, you link to the place of his last
touched cloth.

Yes Elodeas update is not yet on the UAM :oops:
Firstly Diafero is on vacation, on the other hand I'm still working on corrections.
But I hope I can release it soon. :)

Greetings
Dulcamara
Dulcamara

Postby Sirius » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:13 pm

TrapperDave wrote:You are implying 28 cloths in all 4 ages ? Am I to understand that if any one of the four ages are reset, then all 4 of
Elodea ( main island), Elodeas Unterwelt, Elodeas Tunnelgang, and Elodeas Schartzkammern are also reset?

Ainia wrote:An Age reset applies to all four levels in Elodea (I.e., the entire Age), so yes, it's very important to check first before running the reset command!

This seemed strange to me, so I decided to take a look at Elodea's files...
Resetting a part of Elodea should NOT reset all four Ages, but only the area you're in. Any mechanism used, door opened or journey used in this area will be lost. But all areas outside the "linking bounds" are considered other Ages by the engine, and therefore safe from any reset. However if you want to link to ElodeasUnterwelt from Elodea, you will have to solve Elodea to gain access to the book again (unless you go Annabelle's way ;) ).

[tedious technical details]
From what I understood, what /!resetage does is tell the server to destroy the SDL record it has for the Age. This StateDescriptionLanguage record contains some variables used by Python scripts (journey clothes) and animations progress. This means any progress in the Age is reversed. Since the current instance of the Age is unable to save progress, the server relinks everyone to a new instance where an SDL record is created anew.

Saving progress so that it isn't affected by /!resetage is possible (using something called chronicle), but I think at most 1 Fan-Age uses it. Which is better, because of the previous reason, and because it is often saved per-player and not per Age instance, which causes even more trouble with journeys.
Which is also why, try as you might, you'll never get Cyan's journey clothes to reset :(
Sirius

Postby Annabelle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Hey guys... do not try to complicate things here... I made a mistake thinking I was clear and didn't have to explain in details, sorry for the confusion :oops:

The /!resetage command is applied only on the current age you are located in and only if you're the only one in the age. It even prevented me of doing it while someone was linking very slowly in the age at one occasion. The guy took 5 minutes to appears but during that 5 minutes I was really angry because the /!resetage command was blocked.

I just stated that there are 28 clothes in the whole 4 separate ages. Usually, I will go in the 4 ages and reset them all at once. That's the "small" detail I forgot to tell yesterday ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island