Book in museum to 5th pod age

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Book in museum to 5th pod age

Postby philipgr » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi

Please bare with me I wish to explain how I got to the question that I wish to ask. I hope this is the right place to ask this and that all yr knowledgeable people will be able to help me.

It all started when I read this post 'http://www.mystcommunity.com/board/index.php?/topic/36534-aegura-guild-hall-and-other-places/'. I was looking for information on Ae'gura. One of the model pictures would not download (broken link) so I did a search for 'Ae'gura models' and found this link 'http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=383280'. I then started reading from page 1.

This is my question. I found on page two a mention that there are fourteen pods and that one of them is in orbit around the ringed planet you can see from Todlemer in Myst V. The author, Larryf58, mentioned that the linking book is in the museum on the middle pedestal which usually has a relto page on it, and that it appears under certain conditions. He has a screenshot of it. This got me thinking, the only place I can recall seeing a 5th linking book is in Deep island's museum. Does the book on the 5th pedestal there link to this 5th pod? I tried it but I need to import the Todlemer age.

This has me very intrigued. What creatures and vistas can you see from there?

Regards
Philip
:?: :?: :?:
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Re: Book in museum to 5th pod age

Postby Sirius » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:44 pm

From memory:

The fifth pod isn't canonically a museum pod, because it's not at all in the same Age as the other 4 (or fourteen, but Cyan only released 4 of them). This fifth pod just shares a very common design with them, which is why fans placed its book next to the others in the museum.

And yes, it's an area from Todelmer in Myst V, so you'll need to get the game and convert the files to explore it. About the content...
General info Show Spoiler

In details Show Spoiler

Oh, and also, for those who already played Myst V...
Spoiler on Age puzzles and design. Don't read unless you played it ! Show Spoiler
Sirius

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:21 am

Couple of clarifications to add to Sirius' response.

1. While the fifth pod isn't canonically a museum pod, Todelmer is canonically a museum age. The original linking book and information pamphlet for the age would have a appeared in the museum. So when we added it to DI and the Drizzled improvements to Uru CC, we chose to put it in the museum as thats where Todelmer was originally going to go.

2. There's at a minimum of 25 pods. Its highly unlikely that the D'ni would have placed random numbers for their pods, because the map shows only 14, we can assume there are more because the map doesn't show all of the planet. Using rational reasoning its safe to assume that the other 11 pods are somewhere on the other side of the planet.

And of course number #2 gives higher credence to #1 and why we chose to put the Todelmer book where we did.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby philipgr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:07 am

Hi Sirrus

Thank you for yr response I do have Myst V on DVD. How do I convert the files in DI? I have downloaded drizzle and I installed the file into a copy of my Uru CC installation.

Regards
Philip
:) :)
Last edited by philipgr on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Postby philipgr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:08 am

Hi GPNMilano

Thank you for yr very interesting response.

Regards
Philip
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Postby Ainia » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:59 pm

philipgr wrote:Hi Sirrus

Thank you for yr response I do have Myst V on DVD. How do I convert the files in DI? I have downloaded drizzle and I installed the file into a copy of my Uru CC installation.

Regards
Philip

Shorah philipgr,

The Drizzle tool has a tab where you can add the paths to your current installs of importable Myst products. Once you add the paths, use the two buttons to 1) import the needed files and 2) decompress the sound files.

It works very nicely. :)
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Ehren » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Now that it has been mentioned, it IS pretty confusing to have a Todelmer book there, it heavily implies that it's part of the same planet and potentially part of the same portal puzzle thing. Especially since it's in the MIDDLE of all the books.

That Todelmer book is supposed to be hidden to people without the Todelmer files installed to Uru, right?

Oh wait, from what I remember I don't think it is, but it probably should be.
Ehren

Return to Deep Island