Lonirvan:The Challenge

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Lonirvan:The Challenge

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:29 am

thanks JJ. i didn't know that you are the creator of SHORAH PATHS. well done !

btw, i found a way to trick the beast. if someone wants a spoiler feel free to contact me.

regarding the ramp/bridge i think it's a glitch. it works fine if i reset it, meaning - close/open the door again. if you are already on the island though, you will need another player to help you with that.

regarding the puzzle, i solved sudoku but have no idea what to do with it. also i can read musical notes , again no idea what to do with that. :(

hints are welcome :)
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Shorah. I have test to enter in Lonirvan with a female Avatar, and i have test all things....No problem for me. I don't understand what is your problem, but i have think can is a problem of DI upgrade. I have spoke with Diafero about this, and he have said me it checking the server installation. But for the truth, i have test it and all work correctly. I am going straight until level 4 without problems. I'm sorry for you, but there isn't a reason for your problem with the game....Sara J. Connor (The female Avatar who i have use) not have these problems. Ask to Diafero about this.
I remember too in Shorah Pahts some female players have said to have some problem with the age (The stairs in the labirint for precision). But i remember too Janaba have said not have see problem in Offline game. And too for this i have test Lonirvan with a Female Avatar too, for are sure all players can explore without bugs.
I hope this thing is solvend in not long time.
Shorah and Have fun for now.

PS. All things in Lonirvan have a reason to be. Read the books...on they there are all things you need to know. ;)

Jhon J. Jaguar 8-)
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Annabelle » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Shorah everyone,

I have made some progress :)

I need help from you guys now...

1) I made it past the beast
2) The 'S' bridge over the pit is completed
3) The 8 panels crossing is open
4) I'm over a pyramid right now...

I left everything as is in the age, so if you do not reset the age, it will stay the same. I left it on purpose so you can go faster to reach my spot. If you reset the age, it's fine with me also. I know the steps & codes up to the pyramid anyway... ;) :lol:

I need your help now, I think it involves Sudoku. Check the image below. Thanks for helping me (you can PM me on the forum). I think we must associate the thingies you see in the picture with well... you all know sudoku right? ;)

BIG SPOILER (YOU ARE WARNED!)
Show Spoiler
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:17 am

Annabelle wrote:
I left everything as is in the age, so if you do not reset the age, it will stay the same. I left it on purpose so you can go faster to reach my spot. If you reset the age, it's fine with me also. I know the steps & codes up to the pyramid anyway...

In perfect Kadish stile, is possible to reset all puzzles after have solved they. There are buttons over the puzzles for it, like there are in Kadish Tolesa. I have think to do that for all will go straight on his way, but not ruin the job of the players are online and need to solve the puzzles before. (For to understand, if a player is to Level 3, and another is on Level 1, the player who have solved the first 3 levels, can reset from his position the puzzles, for to give the funny of solve it to the player who follow it.)
Said this, i wait for now....Have fun ;)
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby TrapperDave » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:18 pm

LOL
There is a bridge to far side:
Show Spoiler

But I keep falling off the 2nd one, I tried R/J to start, W/J & walk, & just plain walking or running it.
No success yet LOL But haven't really put much time into yet :)
I need railing on the sides ha hah he
Edit: oooooopps I reset the Age, I always do to start & when done before I read these posts
TrapperDave Ki #00151142
Lost somewhere in Elsewhere for a long time
TrapperDave

Postby Annabelle » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:46 pm

TrapperDave wrote:Edit: oooooopps I reset the Age, I always do to start & when done before I read these posts

I saw that this evening. I don't mind as I'm still trying to understand the Sudoku puzzle. On one hand I have a sudoku grille and on the other I have the picture above... it doesn't make any sense! There's no way a given number {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} can be associated with a colour marble. Maybe my assumption is false then. It might be the result of an addition...

Given the result of 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1, which doesn't have to be calculated to understand it's huge... we cannot just try cracking that solution by brute force!

TrapperDave wrote:But I keep falling off the 2nd one, I tried R/J to start, W/J & walk, & just plain walking or running it.

We all know that Dave... except JJJ himself!!!

I don't know how to call this... maybe "misplaced pride"

EDIT: I have a "way" that works!

You cross carefully the first bridge by walking, non continuous walking, go very slowly. Once on the middle rock, when the 2nd bridge is stopped completely, do a simple walk-jump (make sure to aim the centre). If you are still alive after that, walk slowly until the other end.

You'll see that I've reach a new level. It's passed the pyramid. You have a huge hole and at the bottom you enter an area with... let me show you this in an image ;)

SPOILER
Show Spoiler

In that area you must find your way jumping from one rock to the other. For now, I'll take a break because it's too hard to do it when you cannot go more than 4 or 5 rocks before making a false move which will inadvertably send you to your Relto. I'll wait for the offline version to speed up the process of finding the right path.

Overall Observations
With what I've seen so far, I'll say the title of the thread is well-chosen: "Lonirvan: The Challenge".

It's a real challenge. It put you in every steps of the way in a different challenge that test different abilities. The great thing with that kind of age is that you always want to return to push further more but the downfall of it is that inevitably, you'll find a challenge that won't be of your taste at all. The area I'm in right now is perfect... for someone like me who like to jump everywhere. It won't be the cup of tea of everyone and yet, we must go through that area. I'm already fearing the "musical challenge" that must be right after or maybe a little bit further as I'm tone-deaf. It will be such a pain.

If you prefer exploration over puzzles, there are ages out there that are more fit than Lonirvan. As I can see with JJJ's ages so far, they are more centred on puzzle solving. To go from one area to the other, there is no secret: you must solve a puzzle. The whole area is dedicated for that. It takes a diversity of ages to meet everyone's taste. I'm wondering if Lonirvan in its whole concept is not too difficult to be appreciated fully. Because... when you fall off in a pit, you are sent back to your Relto immediately. When you come back... well you have to go through each area one by one. It's really annoying. After 2 falls in the area 4, I decided that: "That's it for tonight!" The fun is out real quick that way. If we take in comparison, the huge Elsewhere. If you do a misstep or you go back to your Relto or you take a break, you got saving points to move quicker around the age. The same with Elodea. JJJ talks about "reset modules" along the way. Yes that could be great but I urge you to avoid touching any of them! Why? Because, you will inevitably fall off & be sent to your Relto meaning that you will have to reopen what you have closed back by touching those "reset modules".

JJJ wants points, here are the points I give so far (Area 4 or 5) not sure where I am actually out of a theoretical 9 levels.

Playability (Movement Controls): 1 (I rarely saw an age so annoying to move around, there was Maw by Whilyam that was a real pain back before he changed some parameters) (The camera keeps going from back to front view and it's not helping us at all. Especially when you should have your focus on "staying alive" like when you cross the 'S' bridge)
Puzzle difficulty: 2 (because of next point, this is why I dislike games like Myst, an array of puzzles that include some that inevitably someone will fall at solving it. Riven which is a perfect game in comparison, is more well-balanced in term of puzzle-solving, Exile & URU too. This is part why I like URU (1st), Riven (2nd), & Exile (3rd). The rest of Cyan games are inattractive to me. Visually they are obviously but not in terms of general gameplay)
Puzzle diversity: 5 (which might not always be a sign of perfection)
Overall Challenge: 3 (mitigate by the fact that the "real challenge" is not what JJJ intended it to be...)
Exploration: 1 (It's mainly aimed at puzzle solving)

For now, I'll wait until the game is out for offline playing which will give me greater power on "when I go back to my Relto". I'm under the impression that age writers have this fear of "cheating" as if it was written in explorer's DNA or something?!? It's great to put panic link zones but why put them as near as a 1 D'ni foot of the normal area? Why are you so protective? Is there such a secret inside your age that we ought to be sent to our Relto if we do a misstep (often, like in the case of Lonirvan, it's not even our fault!)

Because cheating for cheating, anyone with enough knowledge of the codes can do it! Because anything that can be compiled... well... can be decompiled! So it's always good to put some protection in-game but pushing the protections too far is a turn-off.

Conclusion:
I like the age despite all the points I mentioned above. I won't be on my top favourite list but it's quite a challenge. Great job JJJ!
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Sirius » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:21 am

Wow, you all seem to have some good time in the Age ! Can't wait to have a look at it ! (I'm waiting for the offline version, though)

I've only read the second part of your post, Annabelle (since I didn't link to the Age yet), and I can understand your frustration. Personally I think panic-link regions should be avoided, because they mean two annoying Age loading, and because there aren't many "checkpoints" in Uru (except journeys, but few fan ages have them).

I think there are good alternatives to panic-linking, and they are quite simple to use.
Don't want the player to wander in a zone they are not supposed to go ? Use an invisible wall. The effect is the same.
Want to penalize players who fall into a tricky-to-avoid pit ? Put water below it, and allow them to climb out. This forces them to avoid the pit, because it's a long way up, but is less annoying than a panic-link (bam ! Checkpoint system, without any coding).
Want to penalize players who fall into a lava pit, while they could easily avoid it ? Put a panic link, because they're dumb :D
Sirius

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:10 am

HEHE....I understand Sirius.
But there are two things who i have think in Lonirvan.
First, is the correct logic of the events. If a player jump in a lava lake, is not normal he can to swim in it ..LOL.
But in the level 2 for the truth i not have think to insert a mode for to turn back if someone fall down to the bridges. this is true.
Second, is the objective of the age. Is true who not there are many corners for the free exploration, but this age is created for to challenge the minds in different puzzles. This is the power of Lonirvan. Don't worry, Annabelle. This is another experiment for to test a new concept of some applications of Plasma Engine.
My third age have another configuration, and another new concept of puzzles. And many space for to run. :D
Remember too i need to follow the history who is started by SP, and who have 4 deferent characters.
For this i wait the complete solution of Lonirvan before to judge it. I have concealed in all age a reason who is possible to read at the end of the age. (the same thing who you have see in SP.
And if you have quest, ask please. I'm here for that....But not ask solutions....Those are your job :P
Bye for now. And thanks for your impressions :D
Last edited by Jhon J. Jaguar on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Annabelle » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Shorah everyone!

I'm proud to present you my latest journey inside URU:

The Perils of Lonirvan :D

http://youtu.be/KCMnpjGJDdQ

Enjoy!
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:23 am

ok, after playing for several hours Kirk and I do have a request ( since that is what you are open to JJ :) ) we need SAVING POINTS and pretty please.

it really gets frustrating to start over and over and go through all the puzzles and that ridiculously slippery S bridge etc. over and over again. it is a waste of our time and it gets boring too. also, the fact that there are no saving points makes one discouraged to explore a little in fear of not so obvious panic-link areas and having to start the age all over again. really .... :shock: it should not be so.

so what about journey cloths serving as saving points (like in Elodea) after each puzzle ? or something similar .............. ??? i am sure you are not lacking ideas JJ ;)

thanks for all the effort and fun ..... there would be even more of it if we could get some saving points. thanks in advance :)
Zesty of Xeniphers

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island