Reseting Elsewhere

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Reseting Elsewhere

Postby D'evokan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:56 am

For the third time I played the beggining of Elsewhere, trying to activate le links the shuttle and the plateforms . I let it yesterday with 4 opened links and both shuttle and plateforms activated. Knowing that I try to play without /spawn. I spend a few hours online and then I found the age reseted AGAIN ( for the third time) this morning. I don't think I could be able to explore this age in one single day. is the reseting automatic ??
D'evokan

Re: Reseting Elsewhere

Postby Annabelle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:52 am

Hi D'evokan,

is the reseting automatic ??

as I said to you online it might be the case. I will contact Diafero to let him know about the issue.

Elsewhere takes 9 hours at least if you play without cheating. Apart some fools (I won't tell who... :lol: ), no one can do it in a single day.

I think it's an automatic process since Lonirvan is always resetted also. I don't think someone with bad intention comes at night to do some mischief. ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby D'evokan » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:59 am

This morning I don't know if it has been reseted, if I remember how I let it last night two links are now closed. The first one with the golden doors and one with a rail ... all the part we made with Christo yesterday morning. Both plateforms and the shuttle are inactive now, the rails are down.
I'm not searching for someone with bad intention :P
I try to understand if they could be closed by accident : an area opens if you reach it or if you activate a button ? Did it closed if you press again on this button ?
Did every player had is own progression ? then as I reached first the areas and Christo press the buttons it could be logical i have the result of my own progression.

Second possibility: After an automatic reseting someone played and this is the result of his progress (the " I agree" button in the bottom cave is inactive and it was yesterday morning too)

In fact I can't play this age at home because (new computer and old connection ) the game crashed every time I try to reach it, and when I finally enter the linking area it used to crash when I use a link And the first timed run is really impossible on this computer. (too fast timer too much lag)

Last problem : there is a ghost in this age ;) ; when I opened the client I'm alone on the server, when I'm online there is a player on the neighbors list and he is supposed to be in Elsewhere. when I try to contact him he never gets the message (linking?) Could be an "ignore" problem or could be a ghost as we had in Moul. The only time I met him really last week I was ejected.

Annabelle, did you had some of those problems when you played it first ? for me I wonder if playing offline (it means reinstall an offline game :? ) or gave up and wait a few months.
D'evokan

Postby Annabelle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:42 am

Hi D'evokan,

I sent an email to Diafero, he will be aware of that "potential" issue.

---

I try to understand if they could be closed by accident : an area opens if you reach it or if you activate a button ? Did it closed if you press again on this button ?
Did every player had is own progression ? then as I reached first the areas and Christo press the buttons it could be logical i have the result of my own progression.

I don't think so. The activation of a given area is not revokable. When it is activated, it is for everyone following your path. Within an area if someone comes after and reset the puzzle then they can replay it. If you were in a dead end, you can become blocked by their action.

For example,
on the Crescent Island, if you successfully open the 8 barriers and go through the tunnel to the other end, if someone coming right after you press a button to close 1 barrier, you will be blocked on your way back.

---

Second possibility: After an automatic reseting someone played and this is the result of his progress (the " I agree" button in the bottom cave is inactive and it was yesterday morning too)

Maybe your second possibility is the right one. If the age has been resetted automatically, the "I agree" button will be active. If it's not then someone has invoked the "/!resetage" command.

---

For the Ghost problem, it's a phenomenon that can happen to anyone. I've already been a ghost. I was there 24/7. No one could ever reach me even myself. There are 2 ways to solve this. The fastest way is to link back yourself (with the same avatar). Or wait for a server reset (automatic or pushed). I don't think it affects the age in which the ghost is though.

---

As to your question:
Annabelle, did you had some of those problems when you played it first ?

I never had such issue playing offline. I never played online. I linked 1 or 2 time online only but very briefly. Maybe you should consider playing offline for the time being. At least until Diafero brings his thoughts to this issue.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks, Annabelle, for pointing me here :)

There is no automatic reseting of ages. It is possible for me to configure an age such that it resets whenever it is empty, but only a few authors requested that for some of their ages.

However, ages have make sure that they properly store their state in SDL for it to be restored. That said, if the state is kept when you link out and back in immediately (with nobody else in the age), then it should also be kept when you log out and come back the next day.

So what I would guess is happening is that someone is reseting the age because they want to start on a fresh instance. I just added some more logging so that in the future, I can check whether that's the case.

Are you having this trouble with any other age? Or can you confirm that for some other random age with state, that state *is* preserved overnight just as it is preserved over linking out and back in?

Btw, regarding these ghosts... they happen if someone crashes "in between" two ages. Uru's network architecture is... horrible, and there's times when no server is in contact with the client, but the client is "in transit". I never bothered to implement the additional tracking necessary to catch this. You can get rid of you being a ghost by logging in again, it doesn't matter which ages you visit. The only alternative is for me to remove the ghost manually - they persist over a server restart, and continue haunting us until I get out my ghost buster equipment ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Deep Island