Server down or ?

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Server down or ?

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:43 am

When Kirk and i tried to log into Deep Island a few minutes ago we got a message - 'disconnected from server, not authenticated". :shock: what is going on ? is the server down ? i don't remember this happening ever. :cry:
Zesty of Xeniphers

Re: Server down or ?

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:09 am

I am log today into DI and not have received message, no problem for enter. Is possible is only a problem of a moment.
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:51 am

yes but kirk and i still can't go in. still the same message. :cry:
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:10 pm

I have the same problem as Zesty and Kirk

For the past 2 days When I attempt to logon I get the same ERROR
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 pm

thank you for posting this Wamduskasapa, now know it is not only us ........... hope it gets fixed really soon. we didn't finish lonirvan ;) :lol:
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:11 am

I can confirm the problem. And as Hoikas already suspected in the other topic, it *is* related to the move to HTTPS. The cheap HTTP client I am using in Alcugs (essentially a hand-rolled one on directly on TCP sockets) does not support HTTPS. Hoikas, you caught me off-guard here ;-) (The reason it still worked for you is the authentication cache, I suspect.)

Now, is there any chance that we could have, at least temporarily, a subdomain that provides the `cgas.php` *without* enforcing encryption? The script (as far as I recall) already validates the sender IP address, so it can't be used by anything but the Shard. Furthermore, it forwards the challenge-response protocol that's run between client and Shard, and doesn't transmit the password in unencrypted form. So it's not super-ciritical to do that via HTTPS (unlike, say, the board login. Thanks for going encrypted here!).

In the long run, of course the server should support HTTPS. But I have no idea when I'll get around to implement that, I never worked with curl or wget (which would be the obvious candidates to use here). Of course, the code is all open source, so anybody could help here :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:54 am

I temporarily disabled the connection to the GoW forums. That means that if you ever logged in before, then you should now be able to use whatever password you used back then. New users are locked out until we can get the connection back, sorry :(

However, I also had an idea for that that involves no change to the Shard, and no change to the GoW server. It's a horrible hack, but whatever ;-)
(I'm going to set up a reverse proxy on DI that connects to the GoW server, and tell the Shard to use that one. The proxy will only be available locally. Didn't I say it's horrible? ;-) )
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:56 pm

Well....best of nothing i think. I hope you can solve all in not much time, for all visitors naturally.
Good Job Diafero, and thanks for your assistence. :D
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Yay, may crazy idea worked :D

So everything should be back to normal now, plus the connection between the Shard and GoW is now https-secured. For some reason, I hda to disable validation of the certificate for this to work. Oh well...^^

Thanks for your patience!

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Awesome, thanks diafero. Sorry I caught you off guard--I didn't consider for a moment that your scripts would dislike 301 responses. It's also good to encrypt the old-style auth request considering the hash it uses...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Deep Island