Cannot sign on to some games

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Cannot sign on to some games

Postby DASauer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 am

Hello Deep Islanders! First I must say how delighted and impressed I am with the fan-created ages and how much fun I have had exploring them. However, I am sorry to say that I can not play a few of them due to a mysterious and vexing server or connection error. This only happens with a few specific ages: Iceworld, Elsewhere, Lonirvan, and Snake River.

For these four ages, the same problem occurs: I select the age from the Restoration list in the Nexus, the book for the age appears, and when I click on the book I receive this error message: #05 (TERMINATED: Server LogOff. I have fast cable internet service (in San Diego, California), an excellent desktop computer, video card, monitor, cable modem, etc., etc., and when I ping the server, the results are t=189ms to t=206ms. I have tried changing video and other settings, turning off virus SW, etc. but still cannot get to these games.

This does not occur with any other ages (how many are there? 80? 90? 100?). I have spent many hours playing Myst/shards/fan-created ages, and I think my favorites are City of Dimensions, Elodea (ausgezeichnet!), and Relativity. I am disappointed that I cannot reach these four games.

I have many years of experience with computers (build my own), was on the Internet when it was Arpanet, wrote books about SW (all obsolete now!), and have been playing Myst since the 1990s. I am not trying to brag or be an "ugly American," I only want you to know that I know how tricky our beloved electronic devices can be. Perhaps as I enter old age I am missing or forgetting something. Can anybody please give me advice about solving this problem?

Andre/DASauer/UncleV
DASauer

Re: Cannot sign on to some games

Postby Karkadann » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:09 am

There is a way of downloading them from here and adding them manually, so you don't hafta download them in-game.
I think its just matter of putting the files into the right folder
But just in case, like they always say 'if its important to you, back it up"
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:02 am

Hello DASauer :) Nice to see that you enjoy the ages on the Shard!

First of all, please don't manually place any files into the Shard folder. I took lots of measures to prevent you from shooting yourself into the foot with that, but theres only so much I can do - really, any kind of manual copying is only going to make things worse. You want Uru to manage these files, since Uru knows where they belong. and I can carefully tell it to do the right thing.

It may well be that you are running into the same issue we recently discussed concerning Iceworld. I took some measures to make this issue less likely, though... strange. Could you please, in the Uru launcher (where you select your avatar), go to the "Connection" tab and make sure that it is set to "T1" (the fastes one you can select)?

Could you also please try one of the ages again and tell me exactly when you tried to visit which age? I can then check the server logs for more details. Finally, if you could describe the crash more precisely, that may help. In particular, when exactly does the error message appear? Do you see the loading screen of the new age, or maybe even the first few frames of the age you were linking to?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby DASauer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:09 am

Thanks for the advice, Diafero, I checked my settings (connection was not set to fastest!) and tried to connect to the games again. Here is what happened:
Elsewhere - crashed at 4:13 a.m. and 4:24 a.m., US-Pacific Time, morining of July 27
Ice World - crashed at 4:31 a.m., US-Pacific Time, morining of July 27
Lonirvan - crashed at 4:36 a.m., US-Pacific Time, morining of July 27
Snake River - crashed at 4:53 a.m., US-Pacific Time, morining of July 27
For Elsewhere, Lonirvan, and Snake River, the crash occurred immediately when I clicked on the Elsewhere, etc. book (Nexus image and sound remained in the background behind the error message). I clicked "OK" on the message and the game closed.
For Ice World, the game started; I was able to walk to the sign asking me to agree not to use fly mode and click on the "agree" button. A page or book with an image of flags appeared and I clicked on it, then the error message appeared and the game froze (had to stop it with Task Manager).
Thank you very much for any clues to this mystery that you might uncover.
- DASauer
DASauer

Postby diafero » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 am

I am seriously confused now. Which Shard are you even logging in to? I checked the server logs, and the last time anyone was in Ice World was on July 23rd. I also could not find any trace of a user called "DASauer" ever logging in to the Deep Island Shard. So, I think you are actually logging in to some other Shard (or maybe playing offline?), but you are definitely not playing on Deep Island. Please follow the installation instructions if you want to log in to Deep Island. Maybe post some screenshots of the login procedure (the windows showing up when you start the game), if you don't know which Shard you are playing on and want us to find out.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby DASauer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:02 am

Oh my! You are correct. I am logging into the Open Cave (TOC) shard! For some reason I confused myself into thinking that TOC and Deep Island were the same. Maybe because I am downloading fan-created ages from the deep island server using Drizzle.
Maybe I just need to change the server address in the login screen? I'll try that and see what happens -- but I will read through your installation instructions before I try that.
Curse my ancient brain! But this is good news for me, since I have enjoyed exploring all of the shards I've found so far (Minkata, Ghen, Atlantis). Now there's another I can try.
Sorry for all the confusion.
DASauer

Postby diafero » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:03 am

Phew, that's good. I already started to question my sanity ;-)

Maybe I just need to change the server address in the login screen? I'll try that and see what happens -- but I will read through your installation instructions before I try that.
Please don't! You have to set up a new client. Follow this link to see the instructions: viewtopic.php?f=111&t=4611

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby DASauer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 am

Yes, I thought that would be the case after I read a post in the Welcome forum about setting up DI in addition to TOC.
Thanks for the warning, I will set up a separate client for DI.
DASauer

Postby Acorn » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:34 am

Have you found your way to the TOC forums, DASauer?
http://forums.the-open-cave.net/viewforum.php?f=18
You could post your questions there, if that's where you're having problems.
Acorn

Postby DASauer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:28 am

Yes, Acorn, and I hope to post my questions there soon. I have been retired for a few years but seem to be busier than when I was working. Plus (I think this is a law of physics) as you get older everything takes longer and time actually speeds up so you have less time in which to do anything. And some day, perhaps before the end of the year, I hope to get the Deep Island shard installed so I can try the games using the DI server!
Thanks for reading/commenting.
DASauer

Next

Return to Deep Island