Myst 5 - white edition

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Myst 5 - white edition

Postby janaba » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:08 am

And ... it's done, it is on its way to you now ... It wasn't very expensive, 3.70 Euro to be precise (you can see the prices here)... I can live with it, Zesty, but in case you'd feel better otherwise I'd send my email address for Paypal to you ... :P

I was just looking for how long it will take, and it seems it might take 2 to 4 days, so, if you're lucky, you'll have it at the weekend ... Yay!!! ... I wish you, however, much much fun with exploring Myst EoA in a multiplayer environment with Kirk and others ... :)
janaba

Postby Sirius » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:32 am

Wow, that was a quick deal ! It always makes me glad to see how nice and charitable people are here :D It's relaxing, compared to the rest of the internet.

Korovev wrote:Would it feasible to modify Drizzle to use the GOG one, even if that meant to lose compatibility with the other versions?
We had a similar topic a while ago, but to sum up: it seems the GOG version has additional content in it (mainly new translations but other minor differences too). While it doesn't bother Drizzle much, it still results in a slightly different file once converted. DI wants to ensure everyone has the same game files to avoid issues, as it's unable to handle two different versions of the same Age :/

Patching Drizzle to make the files compatible with DI doesn't sound straight impossible though...
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 am

Has anyone documented what those differences are? I wasn't aware they'd messed with it.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Nobody ever documented these differences, AFAIK. But yeah, it's mostly new soundbuffer objects (one for each language) which mess up the checksum (along with some other minor differences). For reference, this is the thread in which we previously discussed the issue.
Sirius

Postby Korovev » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:02 pm

The last post I could find is this one (edit: in the same thread Sirius linked); it seems that to make such list, both versions are needed.

Of course I have no idea of how complex patching Drizzle would be; I was just considering that nowadays explorers are more likely to have the GOG or the Steam version (I guess they’re the same?), so it might be worth it to make one of those the standard.

@Zesty: I’m glad you already found a dealer :lol: .
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby janaba » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Korovev wrote: I was just considering that nowadays explorers are more likely to have the GOG or the Steam version (I guess they’re the same?)
@Zesty: I’m glad you already found a dealer :lol: .

... and I've had only one of those outdated, antiquated discs lol ... :lol:
janaba

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:25 am

THANK YOU again Janaba. i sent you an email to make sure i got the address right. after that of course, i am sending the funds to your PayPal :)
and thank god for antiquated discs, :lol: .

it is true though that it would be much better to adjust DRIZZLE to the newer versions. but it is probably a lot of work so ....

doing another happy dance here. btw, in the meantime i got several offers from different people all willing to jump in and help. what a wonderful community !
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:46 am

I have found that it is possible to modify the other editions to create a workable Myst V installation and with the public lack and dearth of available "White Editions" this seems to be the only viable solution. I have accomplished this on 4 different installations for the creation of a working Deep Island installation.

It involves installing the GOG version of Myst V. Then THE deletion of the Files within the Dat, Python and SDL Folders. The installation of the "White Edition" replacement files and then running the Myst 5 patch.

If someone wishes to do this PLEASE contact me on the forum and we will use Skype to do this simple modification.
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:59 am

our Wamduskasapa is an expert. he guided me through the whole, several hours long process of installing DRIZZLE on my computer. and O M G comes to mind. what a trial ! but one thing is certain, Wam is a very patient person and a very helpful buddy (HUGS)

the best solution as i see it is to contact Diafero. not everyone has Skype or is willing to go that far to install MYST 5 on DRIZZLE. you were my Skype buddy already Wam. if i didn't have Skype already and didn't know you already i am not sure if i would do it.
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Wamduskasapa » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:04 am

you are welcome Zesty
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island