Cannot click Relto on pedestal from Cleft

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Cannot click Relto on pedestal from Cleft

Postby Ainia » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:36 pm

Years back, I had a strange graphics problem in MOUL that seemed to have been caused by an OSX automatic update not playing well with an unknown app setting(s). Although the cause and cure were never determined, the workaround which fixed the problem was to create a fresh OSX profile and port my apps from the old to the new. It might be worthwhile to experiment with this and see if it helps.

Since it is an experiment at this point, I'd suggest that you only port the DI wrapper to a different profile and test the wrapper from there.

Also, some other obvious suggestions (just to cover all the bases), ensure that no unnecessary apps are running simultaneously. Especially if you have a limited amount of memory installed, the newer OSX versions make varying levels of demand on system memory. Mavericks was especially bad at handling memory well (though others will disagree with this opinion) and would frequently top out my system and slow things to a grinding halt when I was exploring online. Yosemite (my current OS) is much better at handling memory. Even so, I find it makes a big difference to ensure that non-essential apps are shut down when I am online.

In my current OS (Yosemite), kernel_task, Finder and browsers can be big memory hogs. For the best online performance, I like to close down all my non-essential apps, reboot and then log in from there. A fresh boot will ensure that kernel_task and Finder are using minimal memory.

Hope some of this helps. Keep us posted about your progress!
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Annabelle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:22 pm

iPenguin wrote:Is there a way to tell if you're still connected to the server? Seems odd I'd get disconnected every time.

I don't really have the ability to be wired in - the only working ethernet port has our router plugged into it right now.

!ping
That command will tell you a message. If you don't see anything then you are disconnected. The server of Deep Island seems very fragile. Even wired we get disconnected a lot.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby iPenguin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Interesting discovery...it appears I may not be getting connected at any point. From the moment I appear "in-game" (starting point at Cleft, though all cloths already pressed) and then type "!ping" nothing shows up. Not only that, if I try typing any "chat" text, it lets me type it but it doesn't show up at the top of my screen. Seems likely then that I'm either not getting connected to the server, or I'm losing it very early.

What is the mechanism by which the app tries to connect to the server? Anything I can adjust or swap out, or a setting to change?

I'll also try to provide as much info as I can about what happens:
1. Double-click wrapper, Uru Setup window launches
2. Login info pre-populated. Server: The Deep Island Server Address: the-deep-island.de
3. Server status window is completely blank. However if I switch to the "Ping" tab and click Ping, I get the following:
Ping test starting...
Got reply. t=211ms
Got reply. t=218ms
Got reply. t=1210ms
Got reply. t=382ms
Got reply. t=273ms
Got reply. t=437ms
Got reply. t=273ms
Got reply. t=7366ms
Got reply. t=325ms
Got reply. t=328ms
Ping test complete.
[Note: This time when I tried it, shortly after the Ping test I got a message that I was disconnected from the server, with a reason of "Timed Out". This hadn't happened in my previous tries.]
4. Login
iPenguin

Postby Korovev » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 am

The command should be typed as:

/!ping
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby iPenguin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:59 pm

I just tried that, to the same effect. I don't think I'm ever actually getting connected to the server in the first place. That's what i'm gathering from my last post.

What I'm wondering is whether somehow my wrapper, even though it's pointing to the Uru.exe from the DI patcher, is getting redirected to the main UruCC game. I don't know how the mechanics of this work, but it does seem like UruSetup.exe is getting called to get the game running in the first place, so is it possible that the old .exe is getting called too?

I don't seem to be able to upload attachments, so I can't show you what the entirety of my folder looks like, but some of the highlights are:
ULMServerLinkBook.inf
Uru.exe [from the DI patcher]
Uru.ini
UruExplorer.exe [I think this is what the GoG setup file installed into my game folder, I believe it's the original launcher -- should I have deleted this?]
UruSetup.exe
urustarter-checksums.txt
UruStarter.exe
vnode_cache (folder)
whitelist-checksums.txt
whitelist.txt

Some other notable settings I thought I'd call out:

In the wineskin wrapper, Advanced Options > Configuration tab, the Windows EXE is pointing at /GOG Games/Myst Uru Complete Chronicles/Uru.exe
On the options tab, the "Force use of wrappers quartz-wm for window decorations and not what's on the system" checkbox was checked by default.

Once the game is launched in the setup window it follows what I described in the last post. However, once I click Login, there are a few more tabs:
Graphics tab: 3d Hardware says Direct 3D HAL.
Connection tab: Connection speed says "I don't know" and the Update all ages on launch checkbox is unchecked.
iPenguin

Postby diafero » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:38 pm

I know I'm late to the party here, sorry for that -- I don't check these forums as frequently as I used to...

If logging in initially works, but then playing in the age does not work, the reason often is a broken firewall somewhere. If you had to unlock any ports anywhere, be sure to unlock UDP ports 10000 to 10100. If you have a "personal firewall", i.e., a piece of software that claims to "protect" you by blocking internet access for some applications, I suggest you get rid of it. Windows has a firewall built in since Vista (and XP should not be used anyway...), which is more than good enough for end-user computers. Not to mention that quite a few of these dedicated "personal firewalls" turned out to be horribly insecure, because they actually turn off the Window Firewall, but do a worse job than it. I don't know which firewall products are "in" right now, I know that ZoneAlarm used to be a thing like 10 years ago...

If you don't have a firewall like that, unfortunately, I am out of ideas.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby iPenguin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks for the reply! I am on a Mac, so I went to check in the Security pane in System Preferences to see if I could unblock those ports from there, but it turns out my entire Firewall is off right now, which isn't ideal. I'll turn that back on, but either way it sounds like that was likely not the cause of the failed connection.
iPenguin

Postby iPenguin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:39 pm

So because I wasn't getting anywhere with my existing wrapper, I tried a different approach. I went direct to the WineHQ files and built Wine using MacPorts. This created a /.wine directory in my user folder. I installed the main Uru CC game as before, and then copied the files from the DI Patcher into the Uru Complete Chronicles folder and accepted any replacements.

Then I tried launching Uru.exe. It gave me an error that Uru was already running (it wasn't), but after I closed out of everything I noticed it had created a new "Updates" folder in the Uru Complete Chronicles directory. There was a Uru.exe file in there, so I ran it. This time it took me to DI and let me log in AND it did not appear to lose connection to the server!

However, because nothing is every easy, after it downloaded all of the updates it needed I got the following error message:

"The age dat/Garrison.age is not installed, but required to log in. Uru cannot be started."

However, I checked the dat folder and the Garrison.age file exists. Do you know why it's not being recognized? Could it be because the Uru.exe I'm running is nested within /Updates/ instead of directly in /Myst Uru Complete Chronicles/ where the /dat folder is? I wouldn't think this would matter.
iPenguin

Postby iPenguin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:05 pm

This has been resolved. I copied the dat folder into the Updates folder and it's all working for me so far. Thanks for all the help over the course of this thread. Will be happy to help anyone experiencing similar issues.
iPenguin

Postby woolie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:32 am

iPenguin wrote:This has been resolved. I copied the dat folder into the Updates folder and it's all working for me so far. Thanks for all the help over the course of this thread. Will be happy to help anyone experiencing similar issues.

Sadly this August 2018 & this problem still exist... As a new Deep Island gamer, I landed on the cleft found all the clothes, entered the tree only to find linking book on the pedestal is dead... Have read numerous similar reports since 2010 but have yet to find a workable solution... Stuck in the cleft...
woolie

PreviousNext

Return to Deep Island