MYST 5 online on Drizzle

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

MYST 5 online on Drizzle

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:19 pm

hello, i have successfully installed Drizzle, Crowthistle and finally MYST 5 but .......... (why there always have to be some 'but' ?) my MYST 5 book on the Relto shelf won't open :( i can go to MYST 5 through Cleft but whenever i try to link to MYST 5 through its book the screen and the whole game freezes. any ideas why is this happening ?
Zesty of Xeniphers

Re: MYST 5 online on Drizzle

Postby Sirius » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:27 pm

That's a known bug - that's because it's one of the rare books with an animated linking panel, and it causes issues on some pcs.

The easiest way to solve it is to delete or rename avi/direboWithAlpha.bik. This forces the linking panel to revert to a static picture.

(I don't recall what causes this exactly, but IIRC there were suspicions about installing DI in Program Files, and some talk about setting compatibility mode on Uru to fix this. Either way, removing the bik file should always work)
Sirius

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:10 am

thanks Sirius , i deleted the file now to check how it works ....
LATER: it worked Sirius but, i would like to know why is it happening and if there is a way around to keep that animated picture in my book.
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby janaba » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:10 am

Hi, Zesty, it is good that it works now, and I've just checked the animated linking panels in my offline version, and I've tried both, with and without setting a compatibility mode, I usually don't need it and don't use it, and I don't need to set administrator rights either, because I have all Uru installations together on a separate partition, yes they have their own space on my pc ... :D

The MystV book to Direbo on my Relto isn't animated at all, but the linking panel to Direbo from Descent and to Descent from Direbo are, under all above mentioned conditions, and I've also tried it in third and first person view, I see the animation in both perspectives, but in general, when linking the book doesn't come up into your face at all, I just hear the linking sound and find myself where I've linked to ... :P

The files in my avi folder are the following --> direbo.bik and restStop1(2,3,+4).bik --> all with a size of 10.257 Kb, two of them 10.258 Kb (restStop2+3), to be precise ... That's it from me ... /wave ... :)
janaba

Postby Wamduskasapa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:49 am

As may be seen from the Picture I have ALL of my Cyan Games within a Discrete Folder called "Cyan". All five of The POTS's installations (Proceeded by a yellow Bar) have active Myst 5 linking Panels.

Those Panels Are: Destroyed Myst, Direbo, and all four of the Descent (Rest Stop) locations. These active Panels are Viewable in first and/or second person.

The Relto linking books containing the Destroyed Myst Panel and Direbo Panel are also active..

Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby janaba » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:02 am

Ahhh, interesting, I have the same (plus some fan ages biks) except mystWithAlpha and direboWithAlpha ... :P
janaba

Postby Sirius » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:49 pm

Zesty of Xeniphers wrote:LATER: it worked Sirius but, i would like to know why is it happening and if there is a way around to keep that animated picture in my book.
Glad it worked !
Unfortunately, I don't have this issue, so I'm not sure how to have the videos working. From the Uam wiki, it is mentioned that setting compatibility mode on UruExplorer.exe (like I previously mentioned) is actually a bad idea, so try to avoid that.

Then there is the possibility to do like Wamduskasapa and install DI outside of "C:/Program Files" (and outside of "C:/Program Files (x86)" ). I heard it might fix things.
(Personally I install all my games in C:/Games, which isn't protected like Program Files is. Thank you Microsoft for forcing us to install programs outside of their designated directories)

As for what each bik file is...
direboWithAlpha.bik is the linking panel seen in the Relto book to Direbo
direbo.bik is seen on the 3D models of linking books in Myst V's Tiwah (this one won't cause any issue)
restStopX.bik is seen on the 3D models of linking books in Direbo (and won't cause issues either)
mystWithAlpha.bik is used on both the 3D model in K'veer, and as a linking panel in a book on the Relto Bookshelf. So you might want to delete it as well (this will revert the K'veer book to a static image).

Oh, and if you accidentally deleted one of the files and want it back, you can simply copy/paste it from Myst V's avi folder. They're the same.
Sirius

Postby janaba » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Ohh, why didn't I get the idea myself, haha ... I just copied the 'direboWithAlpha.bik' from my MystV avi folder and now my Relto MystV book has an animated panel too ... /cheer ... :P

And as for your hints to installing the games somewhere else than program files etc. blah, blah, haha, I say this all with every opportunity I see, indirectly, as above e.g., when you'll have no probs with compatibility or administrator rights etc. ever again ... but ... lol ... np, everyone finds out somewhere along the road lol ... However, interesting and somehow funny to be able to interchange and modify everything to everyone's liking ... :)
janaba

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:13 am

.............. and i have it animated now too without freezing the game :). transferring the whole DI folder form Program files to the CYAN folder fixed the problem. thanks for all the help Wamduskasapa :)
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:03 am

The One Thing to always REMEMBER NEVER place Games in the Program Files Folder or the Program Files (x86) Folder.

Personally I use 3 different major Folders for Games Cyan, Games and UDK (in other words Epic Games) sometimes called Unreal Games.
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Return to Deep Island