Alabaster freezes

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Alabaster freezes

Postby philipgr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Good evening

This evening I tried a number of times to connect to Albaster. Once via the linking book in the room in the Elodea age and twice via the linking page in the Elodea age book in my bookcase. In each instance the age froze after a few minutes and then crashed DI. The movement in the age each time prior to the freeze from the minute I linked in is very slow and jerky even in run mode. I had to change from 3rd person view to 1st person view. The furthest I have managed to get is to the journey cloth and the age story book around the corner before the age completely freezes.

In Relto I can move around without any issues. In Elodea I was able to move around without any issues. I did encounter a slight slowdown when I went upstairs in the Alabaster linking book rook in Elodea but it was very minimal.

My PC setup is as follows:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
32GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GT630 Graphics Card with 2GB onboard memory
Intel i5-3330 CPU
2TB Hard drive for Windows
1TB Hard drive for data
2TB hard drive for Linux

Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue I am experiencing?

Regards
Philip
:( :(
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Re: Alabaster freezes

Postby Dulcamara » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Hello :)

please try to change your grafiksetting to low.
I know that there are issues with the age, but it is possible to reach it if you change your Grafik settings. I have had the same problem as you. I said to Diafero we cant get the Age to the Shard, but he said, i have no problems to come in the age. So i changed my settings and after this i have no more problems. I use the linkbook in Elodea and the page in the Relto shelf in Elodea book, Both without problems. The stuck errors in the age on some doors are problems i work on. So please try it again or wait a little bit until i have the update ready. I think 2 month, maybe more.

Greetings
Dulcamara
Dulcamara

Postby Sirius » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:17 am

If I remember correctly, Phillip is living quite far from the DI server, which means he has to deal with more latency when playing (this often causes network errors in Uru). That was an issue he had when trying to access Iceworld.
Drizzle may be able to help, as it's quite good at optimizing both network usage and graphic performance - usually without any visual difference. That's what we used for Iceworld. Might be worth a try. If you want I can have a look and see if the performance gain is significant.
Sirius

Postby Dulcamara » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:20 am

You write:
Drizzle may be able to help, as it's quite good at optimizing both network usage and graphic performance - usually without any visual difference.

Is it possible to use Drizzle for Deep Island ?

If you want I can have a look and see if the performance gain is significant.

Do you mean me :?: If so, i am happy for all help I can get. :)
Dulcamara

Postby Sirius » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 am

No, DI would overwrite the changes made by Drizzle. But I can use Drizzle to modify the Age offline on my PC, then send it to Diafero so he can upload the new version on DI.
This means I'll also make sure it doesn't accidentally alter any of the visuals, and take the time to see what the actual performance gain is. I can measure the graphic performance easily, but networking performance will be a rough estimate (at least until we can test it on DI).

Dulcamara wrote:Do you mean me :?: If so, i am happy for all help I can get. :)
I prefer to ask before trying to alter people's Ages, it just feels more courteous this way :)
Sirius

Postby Dulcamara » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:41 am

That sounds good :)

I have already discovered a bug. One spawn point (the LinkInpointCloth) do not work.
I had to replace him. This problem got in Online an error message.

Also i have had the elevator script double in my blendfile. Maybe it make problems.

I'm still looking for the mistakes. :)
Dulcamara

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:56 am

Ok, did some testing in Alabaster, using the maximum settings in UruSetup (max quality, max antialiasing, with a resolution of 1920x1080).

Original files:
roughly 50fps (frames per seconds) on average, but with freezes every second or so. These freezes are very short but are annoying enough to make the Age unplayable.
At one of the worlds' edges: ~20fps or so (plus the freeze every second).
In computer games, you want at least 30 fps, and preferably 60 for smooth gameplay (60fps is the maximum your monitor can display either way).

Modified files:
80fps on average, no more freezes.
At the same world edge: ~60fps, which means on my PC I won't ever notice any lag. Much better !

As for networking...
There isn't much Drizzle could do. There will be a small increase in efficiency, but I can't say whether it will be significant (probably not as much as in the Iceworld case). Networking is very complex, so we won't be sure of anything until we can actually try it out on Deep Island.

Oh, and while I was at it, I also fixed the bug with bumpy collisions throughout the Age, and fixed the sky's anim so it loops correctly now ;)

For those who want to test the new version on their offline install, here are the files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/anfps2abr0xyj ... d.zip?dl=1
Can one or two person confirm it works fine on their end ? If it does we can send the updated files to Diafero so he makes it available on Deep Island as well.

(I'm really impressed to see how big Dulcamara's Ages always are :shock: Not only is the amount of work impressive, but also Uru was never optimized for huge open worlds like these. And yet even an average PC can handle these Ages pretty well :geek: )
Sirius

Postby Annabelle » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:58 am

I don't have any issue with Alabaster. I even used FRAPS to record my entire gameplay there.

I'll still give a try to the newest version of Sirius. Merci !
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:21 am

Annabelle wrote:I'll still give a try to the newest version of Sirius. Merci !

De rien ! :D

Annabelle wrote:I don't have any issue with Alabaster. I even used FRAPS to record my entire gameplay there.

Of course, people with very good PCs won't be bothered by such annoyances... :P
Sirius

Postby philipgr » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:41 pm

Hi Dulcamara

Following on from our chat yesterday evening. I have turned all my graphics settings down to the minimum and I can move around. I had a few instances last night when the game became very slow so I had to exit and login again. As Sirrius mentioned in his post it could be because of the distance I am away from the DI server in Germany. The game still freezes fairly often especially when I click a door lever or a button. I have wait a while to see if it will recover but it never does.

Besides all the issues I am having it is a very nice age.

Regards
Philip
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Next

Return to Deep Island