Installation Snafus

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Installation Snafus

Postby Drewsko » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:36 am

I've just discovered these alternative shards and find them quite intriguing as expansive means of playing URU these days. Being able to revisit Myst Island in full in any form does sound nice, so i'm happy to try and get DI set up.

Naturally, that's where I'm still stumbling the most. I have the CD release of Complete Chronicles as part of my Myst collection, and have been trying to get it set up again for use of the DI client (I'm using a Windows 10 system, other spec details available if necessary). However, standard installation has been tricky. After trying and messing up several times with leaving the game in the Program Files folders, I finally noticed the bit on this website of transferring the installed files into the Saved Game file of my Users folder. But upon doing that (which I did with the click n drag trick of leaving two windows open in File Explorer), trying to start the game gave me this error:

"Can't Open File: error #"

Is there a step in transferring the game installation location I'm missing? And since I'm just trying to set up Dream Island, should I really be concerned if I can't get Complete Chronicles working right on its own, or would setting up the DI client fix all these errors and make it work like a charm on its own?
Drewsko

Re: Installation Snafus

Postby Dulcamara » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:53 am

Hello Drewsko, :)
pity that you have such problems with the installation. I would like to help you, but my english is not so good.
I have two PCs Win 7 and Win 10 and on both PCs the installation of Deep Island was not a problem.
On my PC are several shards, Moula and an offline installation next to each other. This is not a problem if you change the installation path early during the installation of the CD.
If you have an offline installation on your PC and have already played some worlds, a new installation is needed for Deep Island.

For this you enter the CD again into the PC. After a few steps, you will be asked where you want the installation. Then you enter your own path. For example C: / Deep Island. Then just keep clicking until the installation is finished.
It is also possible that you will first be asked if you want to uninstall. You can do that, because only registrations are removed.

When the CD has been completely installed, on the self-created path.
Open the path (C: / Deep Island or another path) with a double-click. In the opened file you give the Patcher. The Patcher makes now from the offline game an online game.
Then click on the Uru.exe with the right mouse button and run as administrator.

I hope to see you in Deep Island soon :-)
Greetings
Dulcamara
Dulcamara

Postby Drewsko » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 pm

Finally got it working now, thanks!

Just trying to hook up the Myst V ages now, so that's being annoying. Downloaded Drizzle 31 first and went through an installation of my 3-disk version of MystV, but the installation's frozen at 100% Most of the files seem to be there, but the game itself isn't running (though given the Windows versions differences, I'm not sure if I should mind. Uru:CC was like that before I set up DI, and now it's working fine.). Tried to convert the ages, but from trying to get to decayed Myst via K'veer, the game crashes the moment the linking book popup's supposed to come up. Tried downgrading and doing the conversion with Drizzle 30, but got the same results. Any advice from here on?

Here's the error I get when I try to open the book:

Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x76088654
0x00869D54
0x00475CF0
0x00476029
0x00641570
0x00640F3C
0x0064112F
0x00845139
0x008486F4
0x0084D88A
0x0084E5B6
0x0062730F
0x0050688F
0x004BBB8F
<end>
Drewsko

Postby diafero » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:14 am

On some systems there are issues with the animated linking panels that we use for some of the linking books to Myst V ages. You could try to delete the file "mystWithAlpha.bik" in the "avi" directory. Does that help?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Drewsko » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:02 pm

diafero wrote:On some systems there are issues with the animated linking panels that we use for some of the linking books to Myst V ages. You could try to delete the file "mystWithAlpha.bik" in the "avi" directory. Does that help?

That did the trick! "Thanks, mate!"
Drewsko

Return to Deep Island