Patch for digital releases of Myst V to work with Drizzle

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Patch for digital releases of Myst V to work with Drizzle

Postby hgdagon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 am

I made a little patch that "converts" files that are different in the Steam/GOG versions of Myst V back to their "original" retail state, so the Drizzle output files match the ones the server expects.

Instructions:
1.1 For GOG: Do NOT install Myst V! Especially if you already have Myst V installed, you don't want to mess with your registry. Instead extract the installer with UniExtract2, innounp, innoextract, or any other tool you prefer. Note, that innoextract also works on Linux and macOS.
1.2 For Steam: Doownload the game with Steam/Steam Console/SteamCMD and exit Steam.
2. Download the patch. The location of the patch itself doesn't matter, but if the patch is ran from the game directory it will automatically detect it.
3. Run the patch. If running from an external folder, click "Browse", point to the folder that contains eoa.exe
4. If you chose the correct folder, you'll see a message declaring the detected version.
"Examples" Show Spoiler

5. Click Start. The patching should take less than a minute. You're done!
6. For Steam: After Drizzling the files into DI, verify the Myst V cache with Steam, if you're planning to play it after applying this patch.

Notes:
  • The patch addresses all the files that differ between the versions, except GameIntro.bik and python.pak, since those are not used by Drizzle.
  • The patch renames eoa.exe to MystV.exe for Drizzle to recognize the folder, but it does not add/remove DRM or change the file in any way.
  • The patch does not delete additional language files found in the digital versions.
  • The patch is not intended nor tested for playing the resulted Myst V. The sole purpose of this patch is to provide input for Drizzle.
  • You do not need this patch if you're converting for Offline Uru.
  • Myst V will be updated later this year. I will update the patch when I have the new data.
  • [To Admins] Feel free to remove the link if my patch (somehow) breaks any rules/infringes any copyrights.

Download
Last edited by hgdagon on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hgdagon

Re: Patch for Myst V (GOG) to work with Drizzle

Postby Maroonroon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 am

hgdagon wrote:At the moment, it is unclear to me if we'll get the updates for free or if we'll have to buy the games again.

If you already have a GOG version of a Myst game, you will not have to buy a new GOG key for this game ; it will be updated as soon as the new version will be shared. :)
Maroonroon

Postby diafero » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:09 am

That's great, thanks a lot. :) I will add a link to here from the pinned announcement.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby hgdagon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Maroonroon wrote:If you already have a GOG version of a Myst game, you will not have to buy a new GOG key for this game ; it will be updated as soon as the new version will be shared. :)

Awesome! That's what i wanted to hear.

diafero wrote:That's great, thanks a lot. :) I will add a link to here from the pinned announcement.

That's real nice!
hgdagon

Postby Maroonroon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:42 am

Maroonroon wrote:
hgdagon wrote:At the moment, it is unclear to me if we'll get the updates for free or if we'll have to buy the games again.

If you already have a GOG version of a Myst game, you will not have to buy a new GOG key for this game ; it will be updated as soon as the new version will be shared. :)

To be more precise, it's not your installation of the game which will be updated, but the installer, from GOG ; I think that you'll probably have to unistall the game and install it again using the new installer.
For Steam, if you have enabled the auto-update for the game, the new version will be downloaded automatically and installed.
Maroonroon

Postby Ehren » Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 pm

For days I tried to install Myst V on this computer, but the disks of the initial release no longer worked for me. I tried for a very long time to get them to work, even going as far as rubbing toothpaste and other stupid fix ideas on them to try to get them to work. Finally, I bought Myst V on Steam instead, I convert them with Drizzle and now I get "Ages Removed" from the Uru Starter thing trying to get into Deep Island!

Now here is a possible fix, might as well try it for Steam, but the instructions here make no sense to me...

"1. Do NOT install Myst V! Especially if you already have Myst V installed, you don't want to mess with your registry. Instead extract the installer with UniExtract2, innounp, innoextract, or any other tool you prefer. Note, that innoextract also works on Linux and macOS."

Extract an installer? I don't know how to use any of those tools from any of those links, or even what links to click after I click the links! Also, since I did it through Steam do I even have an installer to access? Why would editing an installer help anyway if I'm not suppost to use it for a new installation? Won't the install files (in "dat" directory) themselves still be the same?

It's funny, I wasn't THAT crazy about accessing these ages through DI until it became something that now seems impossible. If nothing else, maybe for everyone's sake, the installer extracting could be made more clear?
Ehren

Postby Chacal » Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 am

Ehren wrote:"Extract an installer? I don't know how to use any of those tools from any of those links, or even what links to click after I click the links!

The files for the GOG version are all archived into a exe file, which is "the installer". Installing Myst V means running this installer. If you do this, it will install the Myst V files, but it will also make unwanted changes to your registry.
The tools mentioned will extract the files from the exe, without running it.

Ehren wrote:Also, since I did it through Steam do I even have an installer to access? Why would editing an installer help anyway if I'm not suppost to use it for a new installation? Won't the install files (in "dat" directory) themselves still be the same?

They should. With the Steam version you don't have an installer. You should find the folder for the Myst V game and enter this information in Drizzle32.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Ehren » Fri May 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Chacal wrote:With the Steam version you don't have an installer.

Yeah, I'm starting to figure out that this makes it an impossible task to fix... I'm stuck with Steam's files which Drizzle can't convert properly.

Thanks, for letting me know what this tool actual did for the GoG .exe though, now that I know it actually extracts files rather than compiling a new installer it makes more sense.
Ehren

Postby hgdagon » Sat May 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Ehren wrote:I'm stuck with Steam's files which Drizzle can't convert properly.

Feel free to try this patch on the Steam files. As mentioned, I haven't tried it, but it might work if the files in the DAT folder are EXACTLY the same as in the GOG version. The easiest way to know is to go ahead and try this patch (just click "Browse" and point to your Steam MystV folder). Let us know how it goes!
hgdagon

Postby Ehren » Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 pm

hgdagon wrote:
Ehren wrote:I'm stuck with Steam's files which Drizzle can't convert properly.

Feel free to try this patch on the Steam files. As mentioned, I haven't tried it, but it might work if the files in the DAT folder are EXACTLY the same as in the GOG version. The easiest way to know is to go ahead and try this patch (just click "Browse" and point to your Steam MystV folder). Let us know how it goes!

"File hash mismatch!

Please check your program version!"

I even tried unchecking the "verify hash" box, so I guess they are referencing different hashes?
Ehren

Next

Return to Deep Island