Help needed to merge UruExplorer.exe fixes

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Help needed to merge UruExplorer.exe fixes

Postby diafero » Wed May 01, 2019 9:06 am

The UruExplorer.exe that we currently have on Deep Island is basically the version from the official No-CD-patch, but it contains fixes for some crashes that likely stem from the fact that we use this engine way outside of its design envelope... (Thanks a lot to Sirius for help in piecing together the history of this.)

- playing Bink video files crashing on Windows 7 and above
- crash when linking to Teledahn
- crashes when linking out of an Age while another player was in a non-idle brain

Separately from that, there now also exists another "branch" of Uru:CC that derives from the official No-CD patch and fixes the Windows 10 mouse problem (and an experimental version with some widescreen support). From what I hear, Uru is not really playable on Windows 10 without this fix, so I should likely put that on Deep Island as well. However, then we'd lose the other fixes that were done by directly modifying the binary.

It would be great to get these branches merged. Does anyone here have the expertise needed to forward-port the original assembly fixes to the version with the Windows 10 fix?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Re: Help needed to merge UruExplorer.exe fixes

Postby Zrax » Fri May 03, 2019 10:05 pm

I assume you're referring to the 1.1.4b client? I can probably work on patching it this weekend...
Zrax

Postby Zrax » Sat May 04, 2019 9:58 am

And here it is! I only did minimal basic testing, but it seems to work so far...

UU_114b_DI_patched.zip
Zrax

Postby Sirius » Sun May 05, 2019 4:42 am

Wow, that's some fast work, Zrax ! It always amazes me when people patch executables like it's nothing :shock:
Sirius

Postby diafero » Wed May 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Wow, awesome! Thanks a lot. :-) I'll play around with this a bit to test it some more.

Where can I find the unpatched 1.1.4b client? Is that the one at https://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1587 ?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby diafero » Fri May 24, 2019 1:04 pm

All right, I have installed the new UruExplorer.exe on the Shard. :) You will automatically receive it on the next login. I couldn't use the new UruSetup.exe, as that one does not support logging in to a server. But the good news is that the hacked-together widescreen support (through our own custom launcher modifying the dev_mode.dat) still benefits from the game now taking the aspect ratio into account.

I walked a few ages and everything seemed alright. If someone here has Windows 10, it would be great if they could test whether this fixes the cursor issue. If you notice any new problems, please speak up!

Also, I noticed something funny... Chogon even mentioned the Teledahn problems that we have a fix for in his announcement for the beta version. ;)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby DutchRoy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:39 am

I no longer experienced the mouse problem while playing on Windows 10 Home edition. Thanks for the update.
DutchRoy

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:51 am

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. :)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby hhhenry » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:43 am

It's the old unstable Teledhan again. New character - won't drop me out of the bucket. Existing character Teledhan power intermittent. Restarting power didn't fix. Win7 pro
hhhenry

Postby diafero » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:08 pm

As long as it's not a crash, I don't think that's related to the .exe changes though.

You could try resetting the age. (That's the button at the bottom of the book in the Relto shelf.)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Deep Island