Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Age

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Age

Postby philipgr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Since Wednesday last week my friend Grandbad and I have been trying to play together in the Cathedral age. Sadly we keep freezing and getting dumped. This evening I have frozen numerous times and I have received a crash dump four times. Each time trying to go upstairsn to the bell rooms (Grandbad told me what the rooms are). Also since Wednesday after I have logged into Deep island it keeps freezing while getting updates. Windows then says it has stopped responding. It takes me between three and five attempts before I eventually get it and reach Relto. I am using Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition with a NVidia GeForce GT630 graphics card, Intel i5-3330 CPU and 32GB memory
Attachments
Crash dump number 4.jpg
Crashed again going upstairs to the bell room
Crash dump number 4.jpg (111.7 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Crash dump number 3.jpg
Crashed going up the stairs to the bell room
Crash dump number 3.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 587 times
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
User avatar
philipgr
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Boksburg, South Africa

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby dendwaler » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm

pff, thats difficult to answer for me, its the first time i hear this issue.
The type of crash is mostly in combination with animations.
If the bells are swinging , because someone ended the cathedral, that wil take a lot of graphic memory.
Show Spoiler

I see your card is very low on memory , only two Gb as i found.
That might be the problem, but i am not sure, i never have tested the age on a card lower then 16Gbyte.
Does any one with a higher graphics carsd have the same problems?
I am sorry that i can't help you any further, but i am very happy to see, that there are still folks playiing the age.
Dis you enjoy it sofar? .. just curious, because i hardly got any feedback in all these years and no comments at all does not stimulate building.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.



Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
User avatar
dendwaler
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Nederland

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby Ehren » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 pm

dendwaler wrote:I am sorry that i can't help you any further, but i am very happy to see, that there are still folks playiing the age.
Dis you enjoy it sofar? .. just curious, because i hardly got any feedback in all these years and no comments at all does not stimulate building.


I had fun with your age up until the gongs, I tried to understand the relation of the patterns of the cloth symbols and the gongs for a long time. In the end I gave up and haven't been back to The Cathedral for awhile. Not enough clues to understand which gongs it wants.
User avatar
Ehren
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Planet X

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby dendwaler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:29 am

Ah, thats pity, because then you probably have missed the best part of the age, you have seen only half of the cathedral's environment.
There are some clues about how to solve these puzzle.
first clue in the west wing.
Show Spoiler

second clue in the north wing
Show Spoiler

third clue in the north wing on the two banners!
Show Spoiler

fourth clue on the journey clothes
Show Spoiler

fifth clue on the gongs itself
Show Spoiler

conclusion
Show Spoiler

If you still don't succeed with these clues, then ask again and i will give the correct order with a map of the northwing with the four gongs highlighted.
have fun with the yet to come best part of the cathedral, you are about half way and there exist a big cellar in Dni style.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.



Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
User avatar
dendwaler
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Nederland

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby Sirius » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:26 pm

dendwaler wrote:Dis you enjoy it sofar? .. just curious, because i hardly got any feedback in all these years and no comments at all does not stimulate building.

I think it's hard to get feedback on Ages on CC/DI in general. Not a lot of players want to setup a modded CC. There are also a lot of Ages already on DI, I guess it's hard for most people to know which are really good and worth playing.
Getting the best Ages on MOULa would probably make those visible to a lot more people IMHO. And, it would be a tremendous help figuring out where the crash comes from...
User avatar
Sirius
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:46 am
Location: France

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby philipgr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 pm

I have been playing the age the last few days in my offline CC. The graphics in the age are really great. I am still freezing/crashing but it is happening a lot less than in DI. A few times, for some unknown reason, I have frozen when taking KI shots of various items in the places where I find them.

The places where I crash the most is going up the circular tower stairs to the rooms above. I crash whether walking or running. Walking back down does not cause any issues and I do not crash. I have had to resort to using the float and Z commands to get to the top floors in the towers. I like to play without having to use commands. The only other time that I have had to use a command (spawn) was to get out of the Teledahn bucket.

Despite the freezing and crashes I am enjoying the age. It took me quite a while to work out what I need to do. The hexagonal top on the pedestal confused me for quite a while.

In the one area I did not find anything in the two corridors/area behind the curtains. The one corridor has these funny cone shaped items which remind me of Chinese laterns.

Show Spoiler
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
User avatar
philipgr
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Boksburg, South Africa

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

With the recent-ish release of the PotS beta executable, I have gained the ability to fully interpret stack dumps from crashes from that particular build of the game. Unfortunately, philipgr posted a screenshot of the stack dump instead of copying it, so the 14th and most important level was cut off. That being said, the crash occurs inside the renderer when doing something with a texture, potentially sending a new one from system RAM to the video card. This could support the idea that dendwaller brings up -- there isn't enough graphics memory. If you have not done so already, you may want to lower the texture quality to minimal in the graphics options before starting the game. The 14th level of the stack trace would be helpful in learning more about the nature of this crash.
Image
User avatar
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction
 
Posts: 2027
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby philipgr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:50 pm

The next time it happens I will try and copy the crash dump. I do not crash playing any of the other fan ages. I will set my textures to the minimum and see what happens. If there is not enough memory on my graphics card will the game not then an take what it needs from the 32GB on board memory?
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
User avatar
philipgr
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Boksburg, South Africa

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby dendwaler » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:47 am

i am pretty sure that the cathedral is the most demanding age there exists on graphics demands.
i have done all what i can to lower this, the engine does not support "streaming graphics " There are many visregions used in a way to avoid loading graphics of areas you can not see from your point.
I don't know how this behaves in a multi player environment, where it has to serve multiple players.
I simply do not have enough of that kind of knowledge.
When i made the age i had to export the age page by page , because prp could not handle it.

If you want to know more background about the hexagonal diagram as you call it, i can tell you this.

Show Spoiler
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.



Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
User avatar
dendwaler
 
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Nederland

Re: Keep getting a crash dump while playing the Cathedral Ag

Postby Sirius » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:24 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:With the recent-ish release of the PotS beta executable, I have gained the ability to fully interpret stack dumps from crashes from that particular build of the game.

Oh, cool !
I would have never suspected Uru created textures during regular exploration. I thought everything was in VRAM once the Age was loaded and no new data was created afterwards.

philipgr wrote:If there is not enough memory on my graphics card will the game not then an take what it needs from the 32GB on board memory?

Unfortunately, no. The RAM generally does not extend the VRAM (Video RAM), so running out of VRAM will cause Uru to crash. It is however possible to force some applications to use software rendering only (rendering with the CPU instead of the GPU). This is much slower so you'll have less FPS, but means you will use all your 32 gigs of RAM.
Lowering the texture resolution should be much easier though. It's best to try it before attempting software rendering which has its own issues.

dendwaler wrote:i have done all what i can to lower this, the engine does not support "streaming graphics "

Uru's engine lacks a lot of optimizations in general. Having identical meshes (like benches throughout your Age) being duplicated in memory, for instance, is quite sad.
Could be worse, though. Streaming graphics are cool, but they make game engines much less stable and laggy.
User avatar
Sirius
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:46 am
Location: France

Next

Return to Deep Island

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron