Fan Age expedition: Ahra Pahts

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Fan Age expedition: Ahra Pahts

Postby Korovev » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Ahra Pahts Show Spoiler

For the 3rd expedition of the Fan Ages Touring Club, we visited one of the most ambitious projects in the history of Uru modding, conceived at a time when there were many more active builders than today: Ahra Pahts.

First released on May 7, 2006, the main authors are Aloys, J’anim Paedet and Robert the Rebuilder, and it includes help by The Enlightened, Besharen, Darryl, Chacal, and others. It also has its own website.

It’s a massive city, whose name means “City of Outsiders”, and is divided in five triangular districts. The IC story is that it was built under King Loshemanesh, in an effort to encourage more interaction with other cultures.

Each district is divided into wedge-shaped ‘shells’, for a total of 150. Any builder could reserve one (or more) shells and fill them however they liked (with some limitations). At some point in 2010, 121 shells were reserved; unfortunately only 13 were actually completed. Reservations lasted 6 months unless renewed, so today almost all the reserved shells are technically free for grabbing (except Doobes’ and Deledrius’ :lol: )

Conveniently, there are numerous books to a mini-nexus: Prin Pahts. From there, you have access to any shell, never more than a short walk. The book in the middle links to the two levels of the central tower, with a nice vista of the nearest shells.

To compensate for the lag that the size of the Age would cause, bits of the city are paged in and out on the fly to only show the visible parts of the Age. Two drawbacks are that the game freezes for a moment while swapping parts, and respawning to a sector that was not paged in results in humorous visual issues :lol:

There are only two actual puzzle shells, 111 and 415; the latter is also part of the Devokan Trust storyline (which we’ll tackle at a later time).

For someone new to Age building, who might be intimidated by the idea of working on a whole Age, working on a shell could be an excellent mini-project. Porting the Age to Korman is something that has been discussed recently, mainly to assemble, improve (e.g. by adding actual water) and perhaps simplify the structure in a single place without page-swapping. A usual, available hands (and heads) is the limiting factor!

I’ll openly admit having a soft spot for this Age and the concept behind it; as with the early Ages, some shells are more developed than others, but each has its little interesting details worth seeing. One day I’ll manage to push that ball all the way up, in shell 427 :D .

Next time: Somahoglahn, by Jhon J. Jaguar Andy Legate’s Ages!
(Previous tour: the early Ages)
Last edited by Korovev on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Re: Fan Age expedition: Ahra Pahts

Postby Deledrius » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:20 am

I love everything about this place. It still looks gorgeous today.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Claidi Song » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 am

Wonderful Tour! I learned so much. Both about Ahra Pahts, from those on the expedition who create fan ages and about fan age creation. Thank, again, Korovev!!!
Claidi Song

Postby Claidi Song » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:14 am

Deledrius wrote:I love everything about this place. It still looks gorgeous today.

I agree 100%!
Claidi Song

Postby Théodore » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:44 pm

I really enjoyed the expedition!

Thanks for the historic background Korov'ev in the OP.

I'll try to be on schedule next time. I just stumbled on you guys by pure chance; I was going on DI to see if Diafero had put Somahoglahn and there you were!

I'm looking forward for the next upcoming expeditions. I hope Jhon J. Jaguar will be there next Sunday.

I might be able to pull out something for the 2 shells I visited with you (119 & 111).
Théodore

Postby diafero » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 am

So, which time of the day are y'all meeting usually? I also ran into you by pure chance when testing Somahoglahn. ;)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Korovev » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:59 pm

It's on Sunday at 11 KI time :)
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Théodore » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:26 pm

Théodore wrote:I might be able to pull out something for the 2 shells I visited with you (119 & 111).

Here you go:

Ahra Pahts Shell 119
https://youtu.be/A0DCtbuCL_Y

Ahra Pahts Shell 111
https://youtu.be/4p3XsIeaM-8
Théodore

Postby Aloys » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks a lot for the nice comments! And write ups, and videos. :)
It's always nice to hear people enjoying your Ages. Eventhough that one is over ten years old, and I wish I had the time to work on completing one of my other Ages. :/ (or my own shell)
That being said, it really makes me want to work on Ahra Pahts again. Make it Korman compatible. Maybe also make a smaller version of it. It's been discussed before, and I agree it's a good idea. It's just that this Age is so biiiig. Working on it is a pain in the butt.. It was nice working on it at the time, because I was jobless, and I was basically working on it full time for a while. Today it's a different story...
Aloys

Postby Claidi Song » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:07 am

Aloys wrote:Thanks a lot for the nice comments! And write ups, and videos. :)
It's always nice to hear people enjoying your Ages. Eventhough that one is over ten years old, and I wish I had the time to work on completing one of my other Ages. :/ (or my own shell)
That being said, it really makes me want to work on Ahra Pahts again. Make it Korman compatible. Maybe also make a smaller version of it. It's been discussed before, and I agree it's a good idea. It's just that this Age is so biiiig. Working on it is a pain in the butt.. It was nice working on it at the time, because I was jobless, and I was basically working on it full time for a while. Today it's a different story...

Hi Aloys :)
1st, very glad to hear your job circumstances are different. Life without an income has a downside. :)

2nd, Thank you for such an amazing show case for fan age creators and all URU fans!
I'd so love to see more shell development. And, I'm spending my spare time learning Blender and dreaming up my own ideas. Looking forward to whatever happens in Ahra Pahts!

Hmmmm ... I'm wondering if, to help with the hugeness problem, Ahra Pahts could be set up so that it looks exactly the same but entering a shell links to it in a separate 'age'. Something like what Dulcamara has done with her ages in Deep Island. And/or, also in the Path of the Lost Ages in Deep Island with links to each other and which also has linking books to all sorts of fan ages. And/or, in Doobes' ages in Gehn Shard.
This is a idea straight out of nearly complete ignorance, so ... toss it if it is ridiculous. 8-)

Take care and don't let our collective enthusiasm make you lose sleep. :)
Claidi Song

Next

Return to Deep Island