Fan Age expedition: Jo’nae Hood [spoilers]

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Re: Fan Age expedition: Jo’nae Hood [spoilers]

Postby SereneTiki » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:24 pm

OK, I was a bit too thorough freeing the solar sails. Some mutinous gnomes flew off with them. The gnomes and sails have been brought to heel. I have taken down the previous versions of the files.

https://app.box.com/s/ydu8jlhanqyqktm5aywc4v5fpjofbhr2

TikiBear
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:20 pm

Shorah, Explorers!

Here is a link to a version of Jo'nae Hood that supersedes the previous iterations. I have made simple, but more-naturalistic, lighting. So, the "flat" look is addressed.

https://app.box.com/s/kljezy5m46xbgq7tzmn27hzzoujgx99t

ametist has provided beautiful lightning artwork that I have animated.

FYI, since people will want to ride the Corsair together I have docked it and rigged it to fly in the Sprite Gallery in an upcoming update to that age. I'm thinking of having the Corsair visit the planet with the dark tower of the Gorgas story. The initial release to DI will be for testing.

Your Serene Tiki,
TikiBear
SereneTiki

Postby diafero » Sun May 15, 2022 8:58 am

So I wonder, what would people think of making this modified Jo'nae Hood available on Deep Island and UAM?

Usually, I would only let the original author provide updates for an age. Is this update clearly enough in the spirit of the age that we can make an exception? Or should we instead upload this as a new age, similar to what we did with some of the "restoration" ages?

I personally don't have a lot of stake in this discussion, but I do want to make it clear that we don't just let anyone overwrite "your" age, so we have to tread carefully here. On UAM, it is easy to just offer multiple different versions (though one of them will be considered the "latest" and thus installed by default); on the Shard, only one version of the age can be provided so we have to make a choice (unless we duplicate the entire age with its own sequence prefix and filename and everything).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby hhhenry » Mon May 16, 2022 4:39 pm

When it's over 100 degrees in Texas, this is the age to explore!
hhhenry

Postby Korovev » Sun May 22, 2022 9:13 am

All of Tiki’s restorations, I think, have been in the direction of fixing bugs and improving visuals, respecting the author’s intentions as much as can be desumed.
That said, I think I’d be a bit more comfortable with the cautious approach of continuing the Restoration pattern, and make it a separate age.

In the hypothesis that an author gave the approval to do so, would it be complicate to add the restored version as the latest and retire the Restoration one?
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby diafero » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:52 pm

In the hypothesis that an author gave the approval to do so, would it be complicate to add the restored version as the latest and retire the Restoration one?

We'd figure out out. ;)

So, SereneTiki, can I ask you to register a new sequence prefix and filename for your restored version of these ages, and do an export with those sequence numbers and filenames? Then I will put those on the Shard and UAM. :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby SereneTiki » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:03 pm

I have had a bit of a disaster with texture resources being in an unexpectedly-volatile directory, so I have to recover several age files. In the interim, I discovered that I was exporting animation incorrectly with Korman. I'll be making corrections everywhere!

Then, there's the Corsair. The Jonae Hood ship flies to the location of the story in the hidden story book (translated to English by Minasunda) in the pending update of The Sprite Gallery. The potential Jonae Hood Restoration file just has the solar sails furl in preparation for launch.

Anyway... I'll move forward with a Jonae Hood Restoration (as a separate age) in some form.

Thank you for your well-considered analysis of the situation! Let me know what you think of including the flying ship scenario (vs. having it in the Sprite Gallery). Maybe Jonae Hood will even get a fire pole...

Oh, that hidden book:

I did witness Korovev climb to the hidden book without any "artificial" assistance. I suppose that I could just make that easier and not have an external linking book to get there. It is one of several spawn points throughout the age that take you to otherwise-unreachable locations. I don't know what scenario those spawn points were intended for.

TikiBear
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:21 pm

I hadn't looked at what I had for the Restoration in a while. It's pretty complete, minus flying.

I was able to climb to the secret book. It's probably OK as-is. I added a visual hint that there's something to find up there.

I found the laser gate logic nonsensical, so I replaced it. Let me know if it was actually an elaborate game or something.

I'll upload the age soon.

TikiBear
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:36 pm

I have uploaded the new Jo'nae Hood Restoration age to diafero. I have removed the zip file that I had available on Box. The new age supersedes that.

Things don't always work in Deep Island the way they do in testing, so we'll see if anything is amiss.

TikiBear
SereneTiki

Postby SereneTiki » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:16 am

I realize now that the texture colors are off for some materials. Korman's materials have their textures multiplied by the material diffuse color. Somehow the MAX materials have the color overlaid instead. I can do that manually, but does anyone know a way to automate that?

TikiBear
SereneTiki

Previous

Return to Deep Island