A strange crash and some questions...

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

A strange crash and some questions...

Postby Tehlrov K'hris » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:59 am

Hello, all you awesome experts,

I just got into Deep Island after quite a while, and I have a feeling that some things have changed. I don't know whether it's the way I installed it or if they were intentionally changed, but it isn't the way that I remember it from years ago.

1) When first linking into Relto back then, my bookshelf was already completely filled with books. Now, it's empty except for the two books that you would usually find in the regular game. I did discover the fact that books are added to the bookshelf when downloading the ages using Drizzle, so has that changed? The instructions at the top of the forum still say that a bunch of things are downloaded when you run the game for the very first time and I think I remember reading somewhere that that has something to do with all the ages being put in the game if that means anything.

2) Tying in with that, the Nexus used to have a long list of fan ages already filled in there, but they only are added once again using Drizzle. Another change?

3) Now to get serious: when trying to leave the bookshelf in Relto by pressing the "Escape" key, I get a close up of my waist and I can't move using my WASD keys (I mapped them before I started playing.) If I attempt to move, and if I'm lucky enough that the game will let me, I "float" a few feet above and move very quickly across Relto when navigating before eventually falling into oblivion and panic linking when I get too far away from the island. I discovered that I can press the "Escape" key TWICE to be able to move normally and be able to get in a regular view. I can use that to get around this problem, but obviously this isn't supposed to happen, so I thought I would let you all know.

4) The blue book on the upper right corner of the bookshelf causes my game to crash right after I slide it out, and I never have a chance to see what's inside it. I have an error message that the computer allowed me to copy:

Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):
0x76DF6359
0x00869D54
0x00475CF0
0x00476029
0x00641570
0x00640F3C
0x0064112F
0x00845139
0x008486F4
0x0084D88A
0x0084E5B6
0x0062730F
0x0050688F
0x004BBB8F
<end>

These last few ones are just silly preference-related ones.

5) I have a shortcut icon to Uru.exe on my desktop. After an hour of bashing my head wondering why the game wouldn't load correctly, I figured out to do a compatibility check and Run as Administrator. This is just a minor nitpick, but is there a way to run the game as an Administrator by just double-clicking on the icon instead of right-clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the menu? .....ehh, I can live with it, but I'd like to know if there is an option or way to enable something like that if possible.

6) Another nitpick: when running the game (as Administrator of course,) the regular menu that normally appears when you put the actual physical disc into the computer's drive and do AutoPlay shows up. I click "Play Myst Uru," and then the right menu comes up with the "Account," "Graphics," and "Audio" tabs. I think I remember a long time ago that when clicking on the icon, the correct menu comes up first and the CD menu is skipped. Is it another change? Sorry if these last two seem too trivial; it's just something that I don't remember happening when I played a long time ago...

I know there's a thread at the top of this forum that says "Known Issues." If any of these happen to be on that list, sorry for mentioning it again. It's just that I don't fully understand what the problems are that are being described. Also, if I happen to come across other things I find strange, I'll only post them here in this thread instead of spamming with more than one thread.

Thank you,
Tehlrov K'hris
Tehlrov K'hris

Re: A strange crash and some questions...

Postby Korovev » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:03 am

It sounds like you’re calling “Deep Island” an offline installation of Uru edited with Drizzle; Deep Island is an online shard.
Show Spoiler

Going with the assumption that it’s an offline install:

1) The content of the lower shelf can be customised by editing the ULMLinkBook.inf file inside the Uru folder. If you only have ULMServerLinkBook.inf, try duplicating and renaming it. The syntax is something like:
Code: Select all
[Book]
cover:Elodea
text:Title,Description.

[Book]

2) The full list of Ages shows up in Deep Island; offline, you only see the Ages you install. With Deep Island, Drizzle should NOT be used, just link to the Age.

3) What you describe is the reason I’m assuming it’s an offline install you’re talking about: escape enables flymode, which is admin-only on Deep Island. To move away from the bookshelf, just use the S key.

4) That blue book is for the Myst V Ages (the only reason I can think of why it’s there is that you imported those Ages at some point). Try removing direbo.bik and direboWithAlpha.bik from the avi folder.

5) As far as I know, Uru.exe and UruSetup.exe are equivalent, but Uru.exe does not require admin access (which is preferable). Deep Island has its own version of Uru.exe, which should be used instead. Check which one is actually opened by the shortcut. I’m on Windows 10 and the game runs fine with no compatibility modes, but I’m using a digital download version. In any case, from the shortcut Properties you can click Advanced > Run as Admin.

6) No idea, however one of the options in Drizzle is the Official No-CD Patch, which would spare you the need to have the CD at hand.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Tehlrov K'hris » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:24 am

Oh wow, it looks like I have an Uru: CC with Drizzle. Are you saying that Deep Island does not use Drizzle? I should probably try just putting the Deep Island patcher on the clean install of CC and not do anything else.

But then, what is Drizzle used for? Just to add ages to the offline CC? If so, I must have accidentally combined the versions of the games together... my memory of installing these shards must be cloudy.
Tehlrov K'hris

Postby Korovev » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:55 pm

If you have the space, you could have both ;) The main caveat with Deep Island is that fan Ages are resettable global instances, so you can’t have a ‘progress’ of your own.

For DI, it’s probably better to start from scratch. To avoid permission issues with UAC, it’s also preferable to move the games somewhere other than C:\Program Files (x86)\, e.g. C:\Uru\.

Drizzle is used to 1) download fan Ages for offline play, with the “UruAgemanager(UAM)” tab, and 2) to import game data in both versions from a few other games – most notably (some versions of) Myst V – using the “Conversion(Simplicity)” tab. These days, it’s better to use Drizzle32, except for Deep Island, which requires Drizzle31.

This is in short how to setup the two:

Deep Island (online)

Make a copy of Uru CC, download the patcher and expand it in the DI folder (I think one dll is replaced). Uru.exe is the program to launch. More info here.

Fan Ages are downloaded on the fly, linking from Relto or the Nexus (which has the complete list).

Ages from a few other games can be imported with Drizzle31: the new one will produce files that are rejected by the server. Myst V Ages will not be playable, though.

Uru CC with fan Ages (offline)

I call this one “Drizzled Uru” :)

Make another copy of Uru CC. The game should be launched using UruSetup.exe, or better yet, by renaming it Uru.exe so that admin access is not required. More info here.

Fan Ages are downloaded with Drizzle; make sure the “Server” field has “http://www.the-deep-island.de/uru-ages/” (it will already be with Drizzle32). The Nexus will list only the fan Ages you downloaded.

If you’re using the CD version, the official No-CD patch will make things easier by not requiring the CD to be on.

To import Ages from e.g. Myst V, in this case Drizzle32 is better, as it will make the Myst V Ages playable.
Korovev

Postby Tehlrov K'hris » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:17 am

I think I'm almost there.

Everything seemed to be okay, so then I installed Hex Isle and got it to work. However, now Uru: Complete Chronicles, Deep Island, and Drizzled Uru don't run. When running the regular CC as a normal user, after I click the final "Play" button, I hit an error message stating "Please login with administrator privileges and try again." When running CC as an administrator, absolutely nothing happens. Hmm...
Tehlrov K'hris

Postby diafero » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 am

Please make sure all your Uru installations are somewhere in your user directory. They should not be in "C:\Program Files". That folder has some magic special behavior that can cause all sorts of problems once you start using Drizzle as well.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Even more questions...

Postby Tehlrov K'hris » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:58 pm

Hey everyone, it's me again.

1.) Sound doesn't play when I try to run Deep Island, which is weird because the intro movies for Ubisoft and Cyan play with audio. Yes, I did run Sound Decompress on Drizzle 31.

2.) I'm having trouble trying to import MagiQuest into Uru. After clicking on "Start..." on Drizzle 31, an error displays saying that it can't find MQExplorer.exe. That's true; when I installed it onto my D drive, away from Program Files, an MQExplorer.exe file wasn't made. When clicking on MQLauncher.exe on the MagiQuest folder, a dialog box similar to the login screen in Uru appears, but, of course, doesn't go through because the server is gone. I suppose that when the server was still operational, it would add more files to the folder?

I even tried renaming MQLauncher.exe to MQExplorer.exe, and while Drizzle went through, this error appears when running Deep Island:

Strangely enough, I can link to Portal Well and be in the "hub," but as a result of the error message above, I wasn't able to go to the Courtyard or Forest.

ImageImage

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)
Tehlrov K'hris

Postby Dulcamara » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:24 am

Dulcamara

Postby Dulcamara » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 pm

After a total PC crash I had to get a new PC.
Unfortunately, I then had to take Win 10 instead of my beloved Win 7.
I had also reinstalled Myst V in order to integrate it with Drizzle in Deep Island.
The blue book could not be opened and always ended with a piece of stuck error. Then I deleted the files
direbo.bik and direboWhitAlpha.bik in the Avi data and behold,
it works wonderfully again.
Thank you for that information Korov'ev :-)
Dulcamara

Postby Korovev » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:18 am

Offline, the Direbo book bug should be fixed by installing the “Myst5/CT Improvements” packet from the UAM tab.

I’m told it also works on DI, but I’ll defer to Diafero whether it’s safe for the shard or not ;)
Korovev

Next

Return to Deep Island