Fan Age expedition: Oolbahnneea [spoilers]

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Fan Age expedition: Oolbahnneea [spoilers]

Postby Korovev » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:02 pm

Oolbahnneea Show Spoiler

On the 29th expedition of the Fan Ages Touring Club we visited Oolbahnneea, first released by Wodan in April 2009. See Minasunda’s video!

The Age, immersed in fog, is divided in two by a river of lava. On one side is a closed temple with six columns, on top of a cubic structure; on the other, a pyramidal structure. Only one door can be opened in the latter, on the left side. At the end of a maze (keeping to the left side is quickest) is a room with paintings, a tomb, and 12 coloured buttons. Solving the 12-button puzzle will open the door to the left side of the pyramid.
Solving the 8-button one in the second maze will open a secret door with another journal. Further along, there is a second room with a large pool of quicksand and stepping stones; if you step on the wrong stone you will be sent back to Relto.
It is also possible to jump down the bridge and go behind the pyramid (from the left side). There is a code there that will be useful for the stepping stones. On the other side of the quicksand, a painting will show a location in the Age with the last code.

The puzzles are quite complex and thought out, they require a large amount of notes about any symbol or colour. All codes are sorted right-to-left, for a bit of added difficulty.
Show Spoiler

Unfortunately, the Age is incomplete: the remaining two mazes, two room and central room are not accessible by normal means. So there is no real payoff, except a code for a future puzzle.

Oolbahnneea is quite an atmospheric location, with good-looking textures; one of my favourite Ages. If I had to find something to criticise, it would be the stepping stones that send the player to Relto, as I am not a fan of this type of ‘punishment’, and the invisible walls at the corners of the pyramids, which prevent the otherwise physically possible trick of jumping over the low walls.

A recording of the Twitch stream is available.

-----

Next time (September 13 at 11:00 KIT) we will finish our adventure in Oolbahnneea, then visit Torilacha by the Mystpedia.net folks. Until then!

(Previous tour: Botan & Moysenland)
Last edited by Korovev on Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Re: Fan Age expedition: Oolbahnneea [spoilers]

Postby philipgr » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:56 pm

I tried this age in my offline Uru CC. I was not able to workout the 12 and 8 button puzzles. In the start area I had no idea which was the start pillar for each puzzle. I created an Excel spreadsheet with pictures of each of the icons on the pillars. I was able to mark the different ones but that was as far as I got. Thanks for the spoiler pictures. I could not make out the pictures on those two icons. The path to the button was fairly simple.
Show Spoiler
I agree with your view about the blue floor tile puzzle. It is verry irritating to get sent back to Relto all the time. I found that you need to stand exactly in the middle of the blue tile and move off it exactly in the middle of the side you are moving from. Any slight deviation to either side and off to Relto you go.
MOULa KI#24852041
TOC KI#00320847
Gehn KI#00252463
DI KI#00274303
UAM KI#00149988
philipgr

Return to Deep Island