Updating the lower shelf in Relto

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Updating the lower shelf in Relto

Postby Korovev » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:00 pm

Looking at the complex, good looking Ages released in recent years (or yet to be released ;) ), and considering the Ages most popular these days, I thought this could be a good time to renew the list of linking books, featured in the lower shelf of Relto on Deep Island, with more representative Ages.

Below is my draft proposal; I likely forgot some important ones, or maybe I’ve put in too many. A few comments:

• The first half is dedicated to recent releases and updates, and in fact could benefit from an extra slot. In that case, the Game Ages book is perhaps the one that could be taken out. (done)
  • The first two Puzzle Ages books have the authors interleaved, to make the first Ages from each series more accessible. (later changed)
  • In my understanding Elodea and Alabaster have a mechanism to link players to the last cloth visited. If that is per-player, perhaps only the first Age from each is needed; on the other hand it’s handy to have all the sections available.
  • The GoW contests book was apparently made at the time of the DAWN contest, but the list of entries I have is different and now reflect it. The City Locations book includes Ages from the subsequent DLC contest.
  • Since Crowthistle is not the only non-D’niverse game that can be added, I have expanded the Green Book with areas from MagiQuest and Hex Isle, previously accessible – to those who have them installed – only through the Nexus.

initial proposal Show Spoiler

current revision Show Spoiler
Last edited by Korovev on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 am, edited 16 times in total.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Re: Updating the lower shelf in Relto

Postby Théodore » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:56 pm

In cover:BigFunAges, I would add Jonae which is already there in the current book. Maybe you forgot it or deleted it by mistake.

Other than that, I find your proposal great!
Théodore

Postby Korovev » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm

My thinking was that the two are connected, so only one is needed. Come to think of it, however, it’s easier to get from Jo’nae to Jo’nae Hood than the opposite.

I’ve added both in the revision in any case.
Korovev

Postby Dulcamara » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:10 am

I miss the wonderful ages
Laki'anay, Argosy and Gilotto. Or did I miss something?
I would also count them among Puzzle ages.
Dulcamara

Postby Korovev » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:38 am

Dulcamara wrote:Laki'anay, Argosy and Gilotto

Good point. Should all three be in the book or just Laki’anay? Argosy and Giloto are also missing the book panel.

By the way, is the hand mechanism in Elodea and Alabaster, that links to the last cloth visited, recorded separately for each player, or is it the last location saved by anyone on the server? I’m wondering if all sections of your Ages should be available or only the start zone.
Korovev

Postby Korovev » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:19 am

Also, if we go with Puzzle Age books, they could use a custom cover. Ideas are welcome, this is one I came up with (based on this scan):
Show Spoiler
Korovev

Postby Dulcamara » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:12 am

Lakiany, Argosy and Giloto: It's a good question if you should get a page at a time in the book. On the one hand, the Ages build on one another, on the other hand, you should be able to visit them separately because they all are beautiful ... maybe we should ask the builders.
For my ages, I would definitely like to have them on as a separate book page.

To your 2. question. The linkcloth that is at the beginning of one of my ages, is only linked to the respective link points in this age. There are 7 Cloth in each age and there is a link point near these cloth. It does not matter who pressed the last cloth, this cloth now, decides the starting point of every player.
So it is not always advisable to use the link cloth right from the start, because you don't know where you will end up. (unless you play offline)
It only serves to shorten distances and it is only saved until the age has been reset by a player, then you have to touch a cloth again and get another link point.
In addition, there are link books in each of my Ages.
From Elodea there are the link books to Elodeas underworld,
Elodeas treasurrooms and to Alabaster. (Gallardien is still pending).
To get the link book for Elodeas tunnel way, you have to walk through the entire underworld.
The Ages Alabaster, Alabaster2 and Alabaster3 were originally intended as one world. Because of its size, I had to divide it up. The cloths are distributed over the Ages and only if you have also the seventh cloth, which hangs in Alabaster but can only be reached through Alabaster3, you can open the door (meteor rock) at the end.
Here, too, the link points are exclusively connected to the cloth in this Age. So you have to take a link book to get from Alabaster to Alabaster2 or Alabaster3.
Another link book in Alabaster(1) will be activated in the near future. It is located in a tunnel below the Animal Palace and from there you can reach the first part of AlabastersDepths. :-)
Dulcamara

Postby diafero » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:44 am

Thanks Korovev for taking initiative for this long-overdue update. :)

The GoW contests book was apparently made at the time of the DAWN contest, but the list of entries I have is different and now reflect it. The City Locations book includes Ages from the subsequent DLC contest.

The list seems to match pretty well the "RAD November 2008" contest plus DAWN, but it is possible that we mixed something up back then.

Why is the puzzle age I book ordered to strangely?
Code: Select all

I would have expected first al Elodea ages, then all Alabaster ages (or vice versa).

For the order in which to show the GEOLOGICA ages, it is probably best to consult ametist.

You have two books called "Game Ages", that mean very different things. Honestly I am not convinced it is worth having a book for "ages with competitive games".
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby ametist » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 am

Regarding GEOLOGICA - I think the order you are proposing is quite good, starting with the ages that have the most information and are representing' now' in time. Then comes Precambrian - 1 billion years ago, Ordovician - 450 MYA, Cretaceous and CretPark - 80 MYA, Eocene - 50 MYA. But then you have Wind River and Snake River, which also are 'now' so I think they both should come after Kinnekulle.

I also think that Dragons-tooth1, aka Dragons Tooth Classic should come last because there are no links to other ages, and it stand as kind of starter experiment.
Dragons Tooth1 was the first age Metabasalt wrote. After discussions he remade it and I built Kinnekulle, so those two have links to each other. Precambrian has no links, Ordovician links to both Kinnekulle and Dragons Tooth, Dragons Tooth has links to Ordovician and Wind River. Wind River has a link to Cretaceous. Phu!

Would it be appropriate to say something in the text that they were built for use, and also were used, for education in school? The ages have after all no connection to the Uruverse.

If I speak for those ages I built - Kinnekulle, Precambrian, Ordovician, Cretaceous, CretPark and bits of Eocene, I have to say there are a lot of things I would like to redo in a better way, but as they stand they tell of the skills I had then ;). (I am about to fix some things in Kinnekulle though, i e the tables that are floating in the air, and the boxes, which now are a bit hard to push around.)
ametist

Postby Korovev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Dulcamara wrote:The Ages Alabaster, Alabaster2 and Alabaster3 were originally intended as one world. Because of its size, I had to divide it up.

Indeed, while for new players it would be preferable to only have the first books of each, for convenience and because of the public nature of the Ages I think it’s preferable to have all the chapters available.

diafero wrote:Why is the puzzle age I book ordered to strangely?

I would have expected first al Elodea ages, then all Alabaster ages (or vice versa).

The idea was to have the first chapter of each series at the top. If grouping them by series is less confusing, I’d put the more recent series first, with the suggested internal order, i.e.:
Show Spoiler

Personally I’m a fan of hub areas like Toroolbah, which with one book allow access to a few more. I can’t reveal more ;) but I know one Writer is planning to create such an area, so the three volumes may need a reshuffle in the future.

diafero wrote:You have two books called "Game Ages", that mean very different things. Honestly I am not convinced it is worth having a book for "ages with competitive games".

Yes, the ‘giant board games’ book is the one I was more uncertain about; it’s neat to have them in one place, but as far as I know they’re not particularly popular, so it could be removed for an additional “auto” spot.

For the other book I couldn’t find a title, since Crowthistle isn’t the only possible addon. Other ideas I had are “Imported Ages” or “Cyan Ages”, but neither is completely satisfying. “Speakeasy Ages”?

ametist wrote:Dragons Tooth1 was the first age Metabasalt wrote. After discussions he remade it and I built Kinnekulle, so those two have links to each other. Precambrian has no links, Ordovician links to both Kinnekulle and Dragons Tooth, Dragons Tooth has links to Ordovician and Wind River. Wind River has a link to Cretaceous. Phu!

Need a map? :D
Show Spoiler

If anyone’s wondering, the minimum list of Ages for Geologica would be: Dragon’s tooth/Kinnekulle/Ordovician, Snake River, Cretaceous Park, Dragon’s tooth Classic.

ametist wrote:Would it be appropriate to say something in the text that they were built for use, and also were used, for education in school? The ages have after all no connection to the Uruverse.

I’ve sorted the Ages and changed the description; ideas for improvement (for this and other descriptions) are welcome.
Geologica is a collection of educational Ages - actually used as teaching material in a Swedish school in the past! - based on the geology of areas in the United States and Sweden. You can search for fossils, solve geologic puzzles, and travel to ancient worlds.

Question time: what’s the difference between “age:” and “link:”? Are there other useful tags other than “cover:”, “text:”, “age:”, “link:”?
Korovev

Next

Return to Deep Island