Fan Age Exp: Gavster, Denkasen, Canyon [spoilers]

Announcements and discussion regarding the Deep Island Alcugs Shard.

Moderator: diafero

Fan Age Exp: Gavster, Denkasen, Canyon [spoilers]

Postby Korovev » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:56 pm

Gavster Show Spoiler

On the 58th expedition of the Fan Ages Touring Club we visited Gavster by Calena, and Denkasen and Canyon by Sirius.

Gavster, released in December 2013, is a pirate cove! After a hard landing from linking atop a long shaft, explorers find themselves in a cave with the skeleton of a massive animal. An (apparently ;) ) unreachable door leads to a series of tunnels, ending in a second cave where the pirate treasure is hidden, haunted by ghosts.

Calena made this age for her then-10-year-old grandson, who gave his official approval. The music is by Kevin MacLeod. At some point the cannon was to be moved inside the ship pointing out to blast a hole in the cave wall.

Denkasen, released in August 2015, is a nice tropical beach, surrounded by tall dunes that hide … tourist villages?

The real feature and ‘secret’ of this age is an interface (look for a turtle ;) ) that allows users to change the water parameters, including colour, wind effects, wave period, etc. and see the results in real time (the visual changes are only only visible to the client that makes them). The feature was meant for use with AlcScript/PyPRP, but it is still an intuitive way of understanding waveset parameters.

Canyon, released in February 2018, is a demo for a massive age (inspired by the game NaissanceE) set in a wide canyon, with mysterious floating domes connected by ramps, containing strange machinery and what look like offices; a village clinging on a rocky wall is visible in the distance. As Andre put it, an “end of the movie, throw the bad guy down a shaft” feel :lol:

A recording of the Twitch stream is available.

-----

Next time (April 4 at 11:00 KIT) we will begin the Secret of the Rainbow series by Jhon J. Jaguar, with Shorah Pahts. Until then!

(Previous tour: Elodea)
Last edited by Korovev on Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Re: Fan Age Exp: Gavster, Denkasen, Canyon [spoilers]

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 am

I had a good time, and I hope everyone else had too ! :) I might pop up for a few more expeditions when I have the time.

Concerning the story and lore of Canyon, it was a bit too hard for me to explain in the chat, so here is a better version:

The goal of the Age was to find and help some NPCs scattered around the city. Navigating the place was the main challenge, since a lot of the machines and elevators would be powered off. (And in a way it already is a pain to get anywhere due to the missing rides :lol: ) Each time you helped an NPC, they would reveal a bit more about the story of the Age.
A key point is that the planet has a very long day/night cycle of a few hundred years each. The prolonged exposure to sunlight (or lack thereof) cause both sides of the planet to have extreme temperatures. Either boiling hot or freezing cold. The only livable areas are between day and night, where the sun is low on the horizon. Hence the current sunset in the Age. The planet is inhabited, but its population and animals have to migrate every dozen years to stay on a meridian between day and night.
Historically, the city was built by the natives of the Age, who come dwell there when the surrounding area is livable. Every now and then, the D'ni came to either trade (at times the city was inhabited), or run some experiments (when it was vacant). However the last time the D'ni came, one of their experiments failed dramatically...
The rest of the story is barely a draft, so I prefer to leave it to your imagination. But I regularly get new ideas for this Age, about why the city is deserted save for a few people, what's the purpose for the Domes, why the place is built so high up, what's the big volcano shape you can see in the distance, etc. Hopefully over time I can gather enough ideas and time to finish it one day :)
Sirius

Return to Deep Island