ZLZ PRP Importer

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: ZLZ PRP Importer

Postby JulyForToday » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:52 am

Poking around this part of the forum, found this thread.

You might already be aware, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
For the most part ZLZ works rather well. Any time I've imported an age by Cyan it works fine.

But I've noticed that some weird things can happen with some fan ages.
If I import Chiso, or the GoMe Pub for example, here is what it looks like:

A bunch of objects are in the wrong place, many clustered near the world origin. Some of them are scaled oddly. Not sure what causes this.
JulyForToday

Postby Doobes » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:47 am

Most likely due to those Ages being exported with Korman instead of 3DS Max. Not sure why that would make a difference though.

If you just wanted to play around with the blends to see my work under the hood, I'd be happy to furnish you with the originals. :)
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Maroonroon » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:55 am

Doobes wrote:If you just wanted to play around with the blends to see my work under the hood, I'd be happy to furnish you with the originals. :)

If you're agree, I'd like to have them too, please; it could help me to understand how to build a few things. :oops:
Maroonroon

Postby Sirius » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:54 am

If it affects only colliders and regions, then that's a known bug. I already have a fix for it and tons of other things, but it's not yet available through the Wiki as I'm still working on it.
(Next version of ZLZ will require an updated version of libHSPlasma, which means I'll probably release it around the same time as the next Korman if everything goes well.)
Hopefully it's not too annoying :? I recall there are less bugs with Ages from PotS, you can try importing the PotS version instead...

I'll also import those Ages with my current version to make sure everything goes as expected. As Doobes said, Korman and 3dsMax have subtle differences which may change how well Ages are imported.

I'm glad to see people using this plugin :)
Sirius

Postby Maroonroon » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:37 am

Sirius wrote:I recall there are less bugs with Ages from PotS, you can try importing the PotS version instead...

I already tried to convert POTS version of ChisoPreniv, GoMePubNew and VeeTsah; same result:
JulyForToday wrote:A bunch of objects are in the wrong place, many clustered near the world origin. Some of them are scaled oddly.
Maroonroon

Postby Sirius » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:54 pm

Okay, I tried importing the MOUL version of Doobes' Ages.

JulyForToday wrote:A bunch of objects are in the wrong place, many clustered near the world origin. Some of them are scaled oddly. Not sure what causes this.

I can confirm there is some issue with object transforms exported with Korman which still happens with my version of ZLZ. Noted, will find a fix for the next version.

(The rest of this post is just technical stuff...)

Korman exports object transforms into the icicles' l2w/w2l matrices for drawable objects without a coordinate interface. 3dsMax usually ignore those and bake transform directly into vertices. Should be simple to fix.
... Which also means I have proof that Doobes does not always apply scaling to his objects :twisted: :lol:

I also noticed there is something funky with the MOULa version of VeeTsah. Theoretically its sequence prefix should be 40004 with a pageid of 1 for Temple.prp, but my version of HSPlasma instead reads it as -40260 and 33, which means ZLZ will completely skip importing it. Sounds like my version of HSPlasma still uses a wrong mask to read those IDs, but haven't digged deeper than this.
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:59 pm

Sirius wrote:Korman exports object transforms into the icicles' l2w/w2l matrices for drawable objects without a coordinate interface. 3dsMax usually ignore those and bake transform directly into vertices. Should be simple to fix.

I think I remember making the decision to do this. IIRC I didn't want to waste time doing that per-vertex in Python, which would slow down the already slow exporter even more. Maybe one day, when the mesh exporter is rewritten in C++.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:17 am

Just a heads up: ZLZ is still being improved from time to time. The current version is now able to setup most Korman 0.12 modifers (ladders, audio, swimming, grass...), and has tons of bugfixes. I'll keep updating it whenever new versions of Korman are released (although I'll probably lag behind a bit ;) ).

The download link now always points to the latest version on the Git repo (actually it has been the case for a while now). I just updated the Wiki entry to give new instructions on how to install it.

A few of the latest improvements from roughly ~1 month ago:
Show Spoiler

Some details about texture formats and HD textures:
Show Spoiler

If you already have an Age imported with ZLZ, and want to use Cyan's higher-res source textures instead, you might try out this script... (this might be of interest to you, Doobes)
Show Spoiler

Hmm, that should be all. ZLZ still isn't perfect, so as usual don't hesitate to report bugs. I'm glad to see people use it every now and then :) Have fun !
Sirius

Postby Chacal » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:17 pm

Thanks for doing this. I've made a note to go and try it.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:50 pm

Hello Sirius!
Thanks for all your work on the ZLZ Importer over the years!

I have a couple projects that require importing individual .prps, and had used the PyPRP importer in Blender 2.49B very successfully doing that.
So when I read that your newer version running under 2.79B now has the ability to import individual .prps, I installed it. However, my imports are failing. And I’m sure it’s due to some bonehead move on my part (or something obvious that I’ve overlooked).

This issue may be partially due to an inability to set the texture source in the importer’s designated slot.
Clicking on the folder icon adjacent to that slot, I get this error:
I’ve tried copypasting the folder path of my saved comprehensive .tga textures from the Intangibles dump...but ZLZ declares it somehow invalid.

Show Spoiler

And the ZLZ texture importer only seems to go to the first .age it can find in my MOULa folder, which is Ahnonay of course... but that also fails. I can give you the log info on that as well if it helps.

p.s. - obviously, I’ve used the second of the installation-location options in your wiki page.
And yes, as you recommended I am running Blender in admin mode for this purpose.
Emor D'ni Lap

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development