Drizzle 32 ! (experimental)

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Drizzle 32 ! (experimental)

Postby Sirius » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:25 pm

Ack ! I'm sorry, I really messed up my versioning system and compiled a bad version of Drizzle.
I managed to put it back together. Here, this should work like it should now. Re-run the MOUL and Myst V conversion with this new version of Drizzle (you don't need to copy the other files included in the archives again).
I tested a couple Ages from MOULa and Myst V with this version and didn't notice issues besides the usual quirks listed in the first post on this thread. (It's late here and I didn't thoroughly test - again, let me know if I missed something).

weiskg wrote:that is video folder why would this make problems..

Those are animated panels in some Linking Books. On some computers they crash the game, and the easy fix is to remove the files. Unless your game crashes when clicking a Linking Book it's not related.
Sirius

Postby weiskg » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:43 pm

Maroonroon wrote:If you can't click on anything, it's not the "WithAlpha" issue.
Then, it's a problem with your installation.
You can try to re-paste the files from "dat/Python/SDL" folders of Drizzle32, in your install folder; so, after the Myst V Ages conversion.

that was the problem i gues i copy files from drizzle before converting, working now, if this was problem :) dont know, thx for help
weiskg

Postby Maroonroon » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:43 pm

You're welcome. :)
But anyway, it seems that there was a problem somewhere else as Sirius released a new version, which I'll test tomorrow.
Maroonroon

Postby Maroonroon » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:03 am

Sorry Sirius, but for me with the 01-02-23 version, the click on the shelf's Direbo book is crashing the game.
Maroonroon

Postby Sirius » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:29 am

There hasn't been any change to that book though. Looks like the old bug with the direboWithAlpha.bik file. Did it make your game crash previously ? Upon conversion Drizzle will have copied it into the AVI folder again, so try to rename it and see if it fixes it.

(That linking panel bug is curious - I *think* it only happens if you install Uru in Program Files, or something.)
Sirius

Postby Maroonroon » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:54 am

Oops, my appologies... I forgot to delete the new "WithAlpha" files... (I had renamed the previous ones with the "old_" prefix.) :D

For the linking panel bug, all I know is that I have it on Windows 7, but I don't have it on Windows 8.1 (same machine, pro x64 for both); I don't remember if I have it or not on Windows 10 (still pro x64) and like I don't use Win10 anymore (I lost my notes about it)...

Edit: I installed Uru in "D:\Jeux\Uru" (D:\Jeux\Uru\Uru.exe).
Last edited by Maroonroon on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maroonroon

Postby Sailor » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:50 am

Hi Sirius,
I also have a problem in Direbo with Drizzle 32 01-02-2023 conversion.
Clicking on the link book outside Todelmer bubble in Direbo I get this error message:
"Linking to spawn point LinkInFromTdmlDirebo in D'ni-Tiwah is not possible (OK)".
The other 3 books work fine. Never got this message with previous Drizzle 32 version.
I did this new conversion just to see if the elevator bug in Laki’ahn was solved. Suddenly I overwrite the previous Drizzle 32 and I can't go back.

Last holidays I played Uru again after almost twenty years. Then I discovered Drizzle and the chance to explore Myst V and MOUL ages within Uru. Amazing!

I am running Uru CC (GOG version) on a Mac (Parallels virtual Windows 11), using dgVoodoo 2.55.4 (directX 8) to get in game full Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering.
Cyan ages run smooth and fine, suddenly new fan ages are to heavy for my system and I get very bad frame-rates.

Thanks and congratulations for your effort!
Sailor

Postby Sirius » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:23 am

Sailor wrote:Clicking on the link book outside Todelmer bubble in Direbo I get this error message

Oh, I didn't notice that one. There was a typo that resulted in a wrong spawnpoint name if the linking panel video file wasn't present. Here is an updated version. As usual the archive includes Drizzle and other files - but you don't need to rerun Drizzle this time, you only need to copy the files besides it (in particular, the "Python/mystv.pak" file).

Sailor wrote:I did this new conversion just to see if the elevator bug in Laki’ahn was solved.

Alas no. Elevator and collision bugs in Laki'Ahn are very hard to fix (possibly they are quirks of the game engine), and I've already spent a lot of time on it, unsuccessfully. I have ideas to fix this at some point in the future but it's very slow and tedious work, unfortunately.

Sailor wrote:Last holidays I played Uru again after almost twenty years. Then I discovered Drizzle and the chance to explore Myst V and MOUL ages within Uru. Amazing!

I'm glad you're enjoying it ! Drizzle is an old tool, but it has kept people around in this community. Having to update it every once in a while is a good sign :)

Sailor wrote:Cyan ages run smooth and fine, suddenly new fan ages are to heavy for my system and I get very bad frame-rates.

Hard to say exactly what might cause those slowdowns especially when running through dgVoodoo, but try to disable dynamic shadows in the F4 menu. That's one of the major cause of slowdowns in fan Ages.
Sirius

Postby Sailor » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:22 am

Thanks Sirius!
Patched the python, back to the book in Direbo and the problem was solved.
I will give a try disabling dynamic shadows.
Slowing things down is not so much dgVoodoo, but the generic video driver coming with Parallels.
For gaming, I used to have a partition dedicated to native Windows with Boot Camp on my Mac, but last year I removed it and bought a Xbox. Now I have new Myst, Obduction and other stuff running very well, with high frame-rates at max resolution.
Sailor

Postby Sirius » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:58 am

Cool, seems everyone's problems are solved for now then 8-)

Sailor wrote:Slowing things down is not so much dgVoodoo, but the generic video driver coming with Parallels.

Oh possibly. On my setup (Linux), dgVoodoo actually speeds up rendering compared to what Wine uses. But I've heard it's less efficient on other games or platforms, so go figure.

Sailor wrote:last year I removed it and bought a Xbox

It's hard to beat the price/performance of consoles these days, even for computers. And they are less annoying to setup.

Personally I'm still on PC but recently switched to Linux for everything. It seems both Linux and MacOS are getting better at running Windows stuff, which is good.

It's funny, to me it feels like Windows and Linux switched places, with Linux now looking more and more professional, while Windows just keeps degrading with each major update.
Sirius

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development