Wavesets, can we play?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Wavesets, can we play?

Postby D'Lanor » Sat May 17, 2008 12:42 pm

inccharacters: 2 also shows only the avatar on a white plane. Now testing -1

Edit: and so does -1

Edit 2: Oh well, a high refreshrate is still a good workaround. I have set the dynenv refreshrate to 60.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby D'Lanor » Sat May 17, 2008 4:04 pm

How do I stop the current? I tried decreasing ampoverlen but that just slows it down. The ripples keep moving in one direction which is not very realistic for a pool.
D'Lanor

Postby Nadnerb » Sat May 17, 2008 6:19 pm

well, if your waves aren't traveling in any direction, than it would be unrealistic to have ripples at all, yes? It's not really "current" either... There is a vector in the waveset for "wind direction". We currently haven't decided on a method for setting it. So ah... you can't. For the moment.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby boblishman » Sun May 18, 2008 12:42 am

I've noticed something odd about the avatar shadow when you add a waveset ... I'll try and explain it as simply as possible ...

1) This behaviour is only exhibitied when using the mouse to control movement ... it does not happen when using the arrow keys ...

2) It only happens If I am moving in the (opposite direction) to the y axis of my age

3) it only happens with a certain proximity of the waveset (still trying to work out this distance in relation to the envradius setting ... not sure, but seems to be about 2 x that setting in distance)

OK, my avatar shadow shows "normally" if I am standing still.

However, (and only if I'm facing directly away from the y axis) if I hold down my right mouse button (which obviously produces no movement of avatar) the shadow disappears ... :o ... however, if then continue to hold down the right mouse button and press the left mouse button at the same time, (the avatar starts running of course) but the (running avatar's) shadow returns ! ...
BUT... if I press only the LEFT mouse button (to walk) the shadow dissappears - and if I then "add" the right mouse button (to run) the shadow is still missing.

It's most weird ... and specific to (quite a narrow angle radius) to the (opposite) direction to the y axis ...

The easiest way to see it "in action" is to hold down ONLY the left mouse button ... and walk around in a circle, watching the shadow

Also, this behaviour only happens within a certain proximity to the waveset object ... luckily my age is quite large, and if I run a distance away from the waveset, the shadows behavious returns to normal ... it's weird ... :roll:

(oh, and of course, if I remove the waveset, export and link in ... eveything is working "normally")
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby D'Lanor » Sun May 18, 2008 4:01 am

Nadnerb wrote:well, if your waves aren't traveling in any direction, than it would be unrealistic to have ripples at all, yes? It's not really "current" either... There is a vector in the waveset for "wind direction". We currently haven't decided on a method for setting it. So ah... you can't. For the moment.

I disagree. Hoe realistic is whitewater kayaking in a puddle? ;) I mean, movement is ok but it is just way too fast. And ampoverlen is no solution because it slows down everything.
D'Lanor

Postby Nadnerb » Sun May 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Bob: We have noticed this effect, and described it as accurately as you just did. We have no idea what is causing it, and if we ever figure it out, it will be fixed.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby D'Lanor » Sun May 18, 2008 2:11 pm

You probably haven't seen the racing stream effect that I am seeing. I tweaked the waves on my old PC which has an nVidia FX 5600 and they looked good after I changed the wind direction inside the PyPRP Python file.
Now I just found that they look totally different on my laptop with a Radeon HD 2600. Kind of faint and gentle. Reflections were in different places and there were less of them. Rather dull actually. :( So your mileage may vary.
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Mon May 19, 2008 2:39 am

OK... well... gold (Maintainers) star to Corvus ... who has established that the missing avvy shadow issue is KI related ... HERE ...
boblishman

Postby boblishman » Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 am

Nadnerb, I just downloaded your new Tunnel Demo 3 (- GREAT wavesets in there - ;) ) and noticed that you Age does NOT have the "avvy shadows/Ki" issue at all ... so, I'm guessing that you have used (many) more parameters in your waveset than I have ... I ONLY have :

Code: Select all
waveset:
   type: waveset
   waveset:
      envradius: 100
      depthrange:
         opac:
            start: 0
            end: 0.5

so, I'm guessing that this issue is being caused by either a "missing" parameter (or a "default" one that the plugin currently exports if the parameter is absent from the AlcScript) ... yes?

If you could supply me with the Alcsript for your waveset in Tunnel Demo 3, I'm happy to test it in my age and see if it corrects the "problem" ...
boblishman

Postby D'Lanor » Mon May 19, 2008 8:49 am

I doubt that the alcscript is causing those bugs. In my experience this is very vertex sensitive. Too many vertices is a no go for me (invisible waveset). The only screwed up Cyan age in this respect is Er'cana.

Overlapping faces in the 2D projection produces z-fighting (striping/flickering).

And as I mentioned previously, even if the waves show up without problems the look of the resulting reflections is still very GPU dependent.

I will try out Nadnerb's age when I get home. And did anyone take a look at the puddle in Prad? (and don't complain if it is missing: weather conditions are subject to change)

Edit: I meant faces, not vertices.
Last edited by D'Lanor on Mon May 19, 2008 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
D'Lanor

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development