Current and up coming GoW PyPrp features

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Current and up coming GoW PyPrp features

Postby Grogyan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:34 pm

I was thinking today, that we don't yet have a place where all the known features are summarized, including a summary of whats to come.

I was thinking about this at the same time considering how much rework of the code would need to be done to be compatible with Blender 2.46 which is due out sometime between late April and early May in conjunction with the Peach movie.

Is there someone willing enough to do this please?

I can't because I don't know whats been added, and because its all scattered here through the forum or lost.

eg
- Baisc fork from Almlys implemented
- Includes new AlcScript
- Removed cached images when importing
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Re: Current and up coming GoW PyPrp features

Postby Lontahv » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:42 pm

There's lots of stuff. I'll try to find the stuff. But... WHY does it need a big rework? The only problem would be blender API thing that are removed(not sure how much there'll be of that).

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Lontahv » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:58 pm

I don't have them in order but:

Animated textures,
Vis-regions,
Sounds,
Specular materials,
Vert-groups,

Those are some of the features I can think of right now.

There's also LOTS and LOTS of behind-the-scenes stuff added.

Hey, if the PyPrp team can't get it working with the new version the DAY that it's released... no big deal, if the new features are SOOO good then you can export .obj and import into an "old" one.

Here are some of the things I'm hoping to get working soon(at the top is the easiest stuff):

Good Lookin' water(currently working on this)
Sit regions
Cluster-Groups
Object Animation
Custom OneShotMods(custom avatar anims)
Custom Clothing
Rewriting some of the code so that it behaves better(this means faster exports and imports and it'll be much easier for the Devs).

We'll get it working with the new version of blender as soon as we can.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Grogyan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:12 am

Thanks Lontahv.

There is a pre-release of Blender 2.46 in their SVN, I dunno if you want to keep working on current and new features and wait for the next version of Blender to be publically available or make sure the current plugin (in our SVN) works ok with the pre release of Blender 2.46.

Yeah I know that there is a lot of behind the scenes work going on, and some including myself just like an idea of a general schedule of the plugin, nothing specific, just for an example, sit regions would be next then cluster groups (what are they?).
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Aloys » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:42 am

By just having a quick look at the lists of changes for Blender 2.46 I don't see anything that woud be really useful for us.. There are mostly rendering/animation/particles improvements and additions. Nothing we can use for now.
The two only things I could find useful would be some slight improvements for the UV editing (which also seem to come with interface changes); and the new 'Mesh deform modifier'. There are also a couple minor modelling improvemens with vertex groups.
All in all nothing we can't live without IMO. (Version 2.5 on the other hand will bring a ton of important changes)

Is it really worth it to spend the time making PyPRP 2.46 compatible?

Also:
Good Lookin' water - cool
Sit regions - cool, been looking forward to that for a while
Cluster-Groups - what is that? :?:
Object Animation - very cool obviously.
Custom OneShotMods - very cool too, although I have no idea if we have decent enough animators among us to actually use that.. :? Which is really too bad because it would allow a lot of new interactions for puzzles and such..
Custom Clothing - I'm sure some people will love it.
Rewriting some of the code so that it behaves better - yay, refactoring fun ahead! ;)
Aloys

Postby Lontahv » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:11 am

ClusterGroups(plasma-term) are plasma's "dupli-verts"(blender-term). They're used in Kemo and some other places. Saves on space and link-in time. If you have a forest that has duplicate trees... well, you get the idea. ;)

I'm not sure how hard sit regions would be... I'll look at them after I finish with the water. If I can get the sit-regions done in an afternoon I will do them next(I think I can). About WHY I want ClusterGroups so much... look no farther than Ahra-Pahts and Yinfara(Who I'm the modeler for 8-) ). Yinfara's going to have a forest... and forests mean thousands of trees. Since I can't model thousands of different trees I'm going to use duplicates anyway--why not just have a few main trees and then use ClusterGroups. :D It's mostly for myself but AhraPahts will benefit amazingly(no more 2min link-ins).

You notice that I put rewriting parts of it at the bottom--that means it's LAST--that means it's hard-ish--that means I'll shovel it over to Paradox, Nadnerb and Zrax. :P

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby andylegate » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:52 am

Speaking of the Custom One-Shot's, I do know that when we got the Clickable sounds to work, D'Lanor was telling me about the Avie Animation.

Putting in a one-shot avatar animation was a breeze after getting the clickable sound to work. What took me back was the fact that I didn't see it anywhere in the tut's, or on the board. At the same time, I've had people go bannana's over this!

I'd make a quick tutorial or post about how to put in one of the Uru Avatar animations, but I don't know what all we have. I did take a look into one of the python files and found the male and female animations, and figured out you just drop the male or female for the name of the animation, but a list of ones that can be used and a quick description of how to put it in would be quite helpful to some people.

One other thing, and I know you guys get tired of hearing it, but at the same time it simply a fact:

New features of the plugin are of course great to have!
Knowing how to use them would be even better.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Whilyam » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 am

Good looking water, I assume, is the ripply look you can see in Noloben, Laki, Teledahn, etc.?
Whilyam

Postby Aloys » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 am

Yes, it's also in the Hoods, the City, Kemo, Gira.. etc.
Aloys

Postby boblishman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:51 am

Andylegate wrote:New features of the plugin are of course great to have!
Knowing how to use them would be even better.

It would be nice to have a "current" pluging where the sound actually works! (The present version 1.3.0 has broken sound and requires manual download from the trunk to work and has been that way since it was released). This fact is not even mentioned in the 1.3.0. version download post ... very confusing for new writers coming on board ... as at least one thread I read recently showed.

I know the dev's are very busy with things but surely it's time for a new release that has all the "established" functions working properly (sound, soft volumes, animated textures, etc) ... I, for one, am still using 1.2.1 (until the broken sound is fixed) ... this means I can't use animated textures or soft volumes or and of the other new features (even if there is no "official" documentation on how these work) ... at least we could have a plugin that is fully functional.

I have stopped working on all my ages ... and I am waiting for the next release before I continue ... whilst I suspect that several other writers have just given up altogether (by their lack of presence on the forums recently) ... is making a new "working" release really so time consuming or difficult ???
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Next

Return to Plasma Development