Wavesets, can we play?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Wavesets, can we play?

Postby Aloys » Fri May 16, 2008 5:25 pm

Are those similar to the pillar shadows in Tsogahl?
Aloys

Postby boblishman » Fri May 16, 2008 5:29 pm

so ... just so I dont spend a lot of time doing something I don't need to ... if i want to use the latest "nightly" plugin I have to go to every single material in my age and unclick the shadbuf button (and, beleive me, there are a LOT of materials in my age (in excess to 200) ... ?
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Postby Paradox » Fri May 16, 2008 5:36 pm

yes, this has been the intended behaviour since version 1.0.0, but a bug prevented the shadows from being rendered.

It's fairly easy to write a quick Blender script to unset all materials.
Paradox

Postby D'Lanor » Fri May 16, 2008 5:37 pm

I see it now. Some objects have nice shadows but for most objects it doesn't do very much. I suppose we could leave Shadbuff enabled for a few select objects.

Edit: All is fine again. The waveset would not render because the objects shadows were taking up too much CPU. The Shadbuf fix worked fine and the wavesets look better now than before. :)
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby greendragoon » Fri May 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Is there a reason you would need a dynamically generated shadow other than for objects that move?
Robert "greendragoon" Starbuck
As Long as there is MORE,
I will explore.
And as long as my Relto shelf is unfilled,
I will build.
greendragoon

Location: Stuck in Indiana because the cavern door is locked.

Postby Paradox » Fri May 16, 2008 9:07 pm

no, it's mainly intended for animated objects or objects like Gira (which is entirely dynamically lit and where shadows cannot be done with vertex paint)
Paradox

Postby Nadnerb » Fri May 16, 2008 9:57 pm

heh, looks like this all blew over before I got around to reading the forum again.

The attenDist fix was not what fixed the shadowcasters, it was simply added because having large and/or non-ten attenDists in the shadowMasters caused severe clipping issues with shadows, and because every Cyan shadowMaster I've seen has had an attenDist of 10. The change that fixed the shadowCaster was changing the way it was referenced in the sceneObject.

Now that we do have shadows, you will need to remember to turn off shadbuf in all your materials to prevent them from casting dynamic shadows just like your avatar does. Allowing everything to cast shadows will both look horrible, and bring graphics card to it's knees. If you have very large existing ages you will probably want a fast way to disable this property on all your objects. This can be done with a simple script.

Code: Select all
matList = Material.Get()
for mat in matList:
   mat.mode = mat.mode & ~Material.Modes["SHADOWBUF"]

For those who don't know, you can execute python by typing it into blender's python console widget, which is available from the scripts window. (Scripts > System > Interactive Python Console)

Also, since this was brought into question: object shadows are useful already, because we do in fact have moving objects. Kickables.

Edit: And for those that don't want to type that out.. (hopefully nobody :?) you can drop this in your blender scripts directory and select it from (Scripts > Materials > Clear Shadbuf)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby andylegate » Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Just tried it both ways, and sorry. Shadows is still enabled on all my materials. I guess I'll have to manually undo them.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Nadnerb » Fri May 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Uhm, no, this should work. I've tested it. (because I have several large ages I had to fix with this :?) Are you looking at "Shadbuf"? This does NOT change the "Shadow" button, it changes the "Shadbuf" button.
Shadbuf.jpg
Shadbuf.jpg (18.14 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby andylegate » Fri May 16, 2008 10:33 pm

No,...I was not looking at the right button ....YYYAAAWWWNNN. Mainly because it's 1:30 am here......and yes it did work, thanks......

Would like to try this, but reading is good enough for now. I'm still fighting my buttons......night all.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development