Wavesets, can we play?

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Wavesets, can we play?

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri May 23, 2008 9:12 am

Well done, Sophia!

I gotta play around with this sometime, especially now that PyPRP 1.4.0 RC1 is out.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby GPNMilano » Fri May 23, 2008 1:28 pm

Okay, this may be a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway.

I'm going to be doing a waveset in my island age--

Andy, large ocean, just like Zephyr Cove, PITA.

-anyway, back on topic. Now, with wavesets, does this mean we no longer have to create an ocean surface, and uv a water texture and all that, or do I leave my watersurface where it is, and yeah. I'm confuseled.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby andylegate » Fri May 23, 2008 2:34 pm

No, you'll want to delete the water surface mesh you had, else it will look very, VERY bad.

However, if after you make your waveset, it still doesn't look right, you CAN put a mesh below the waveset surface with a water texture you like. I did that, and it helped make my ocean look better, but that was just me. You might like how yours work.

But again, yes, you need to get rid of your water surface mesh (BUT make sure you get the height from it!!! You'll need that info to set up your waveset right!)
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby GPNMilano » Fri May 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Okay. Its not drawing my wavesets. It exports fine, but there is no waveset in Uru.

Do we know why its not working with some graphics cards. all the water in Uru has always rendered fine for me. Both E'rcana and Ahnonay look like they're supposed to.
GPNMilano

Postby Lontahv » Fri May 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Make sure your object center is higher than the wavesurface. Try moving your object center a few blender units higher than the surface. If it's not the problem, then, it may be some other problem.

It's highly unlikely that it's your graphics if you can run Uru ok. D'Lanor's setup must've been the very minimum for Uru anyway. The wavesets are in no way dependent on super high-end graphics.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby GPNMilano » Fri May 23, 2008 4:09 pm

Lontahv, Well, I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Blender's got my object center at a z height of .068, and the surface is at -6 i think. Whats odd is that, in Uru, my shores show up, but not as a waveset shore, just as a simple blue flat reflective object.
GPNMilano

Postby andylegate » Fri May 23, 2008 5:32 pm

This will sound stupid, but check it anyway. A couple of times when I duplicated my mesh, the normals would flip on me. Make go to edit mode and make sure your normals are facing up. If not, you're water won't show.

Make sure you don't have the shadownBuf button in materials clicked on.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Fri May 23, 2008 5:36 pm

Ok, can you send me/host your exported age files? This my be a pyprp bug.

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby GPNMilano » Fri May 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Ok, here's my question. Are the faces for the waveset supposed to be facing the Negative Z position, like Sprites? Or does it matter which direction they face.
GPNMilano

Postby Lontahv » Fri May 23, 2008 10:04 pm

I don't think they are. From what you say, it doesn't seem to even be making a proper waveset. :P

I can't know what the problem is (it may not be your fault it's not working) until I see the file it's exporting.

~Lontahv
Lontahv

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development