Importing and the Plugin

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Importing and the Plugin

Postby andylegate » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:33 am

OMG..... :shock:

It worked! It imported the entire Age with no errors........Some of the regions are messed up, but that's no big deal.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Whilyam » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:39 am

Lontahv wrote:Now to address the import problems: just wait a bit, Paradox, Zrax and myself are working on 2.x and it's currently excelling at importing basic stuff--that's how we're trying out stuff before we get it exporting. I'm pretty sure that "Import" function will be all fixed up by the time 2.x is released.

One point of confusion for me. Is 2.x going to be the MORE-compatible version? Down the road, might we have a plugin with two export options? One for Uru CC and the other for MORE?
Whilyam

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:11 am

Lontahv wrote:Just go to the file and line that that thing mentions (File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alc_LogicCl
asses.py", line 1386, in read) and change "count = self.Read32()" to "count = stream.Read32()".

Grr, thanks Lontahv. I was trying to remember what line I altered in my plugin, and that was the one.

As for importing till 2.x, I've created a wiki article, that is about the version of the plugin that i use for importing. I'm just having problems getting it uploaded to angelfire (as I don't have my own server, I just use angelfire for keeping my stuff. Its become a warehouse for uselful things for me to hang on to and post links to) Once I do I'll put a link into the wiki article i made here: PyPRP Age Importer

I'm glad to here though that 2.x will be able to import. (I'm guessing this functionality was brought back so that the plugin can be updated for MORE. You can't know if it exports right if it doesn't import first etc.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Lontahv » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 am

Whilyam wrote:
Lontahv wrote:Now to address the import problems: just wait a bit, Paradox, Zrax and myself are working on 2.x and it's currently excelling at importing basic stuff--that's how we're trying out stuff before we get it exporting. I'm pretty sure that "Import" function will be all fixed up by the time 2.x is released.

One point of confusion for me. Is 2.x going to be the MORE-compatible version? Down the road, might we have a plugin with two export options? One for Uru CC and the other for MORE?

Yeah, currently all the functionality we have for importing in PyPRP 2.x is for ABM/UU, CC, M5, MOUL/MORE (if MORE is like MOUL). The exporting functionality is for (and going to be for): ABM/UU, CC, MOUL/MORE (if MORE is like MOUL).

So basically this imports/export (it does currently but as I said it's in very simple stages) so many Plasma versions that it'll make you dizzy. ;)

This PyPRP version may be a while since we're rewriting it (it'll be well worth the wait though).
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Whilyam » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Great! The ponies we've been waiting so long for will be in the 2.x release then? :P
Whilyam

Postby andylegate » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 pm

Why the sudden about face with importing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY glad to hear this, and yah, it'll be worth the wait. But I am curious, especially with all the "The Devs are no longer working on the Import feature, nor is there any support" that was given.

In any case:

Thank you guys for doing this for us!!!!
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:30 pm

To address your question Andy, let me speak for myself (this may not apply to the other devs)The way prp readers/exporters are created they always seem to have great importing abilities at the beginning (this is a very satisfying thing for a programmer to do... it's like getting a new toy... it IS getting a new toy!) and is a good way to calibrate your plugin to be exactly Cyan's format (if you can import Cyan stuff with a method you can export with it).

Andy, did you really think we were so cold-hearted to not enjoy the trill of an age coming into Blender? ;) I think mostly why people stopped trying to maintain the import function for the current PyPRP is just so sprawling so that when you fix one thing there are tons more things to fix. Also, it's hard when people start expecting to be able to import an age and have the settings be how you'd do them for the exporter (basically you have to write two different Blender interfaces).

The most fun thing for me is to look through the ages in Plasma's format (rather than some Blender interface someone has dreamed up). I'm really hoping that we can get some powerful tools in there (like something you can do anything a Cyan age does in your own age as long as you've imported it and read the, say, text doc that it outputs that contains the different classes and their settings).

Ok, I fear I've spilled too many beans and people are drooling... huge amounts. :P

Well that's the plan and let me retreat to my lair and work on my Plasma-related program(not PyPRP which you can see be me saying _my_ ;) ).
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby andylegate » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:05 pm

No, no. I didn't think y'all were "cold hearted"

......arrogant and a little full of yourselves maybe.... :lol: :lol: (J/K!)

But not cold hearted.

I just thought that y'all had so little people, and so much to do that you just couldn't support it, and I was pleaing for those that know how to do it to possibly help you out (or at least help me out..hehehe).

Good to hear everything though. Now I'm going to bed before I fall asleep at my keyboard and get my nose stuck in the keys......again......
andylegate

Previous

Return to Plasma Development