Importing and the Plugin

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Importing and the Plugin

Postby andylegate » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Yes I know, I can hear the groans now, but this has just caused a serious issue with me.

As the Dev's have stated many times, they are concentrating on bringing us more and better exporting tools, and I give them a standing ovation for that. Nobody can say that they have not done one HELL of a job giving us free tools for Age creation that are able to just about give us the ability to create an Age just as good as anything Cyan has put out for Uru.

But.......

While it was felt that support for importing was no longer something that they wanted to focus on, it was at least still there for several versions of the plugin.

Now with 1.5.0, importing ANY PyPRP file is now GONE.

Normally I would just shrug, install one of the many earlier versions of the plugin, and go ahead and import an Age.

Why import an Age? Well I have several reasons.

1) As a new Writer I found that looking at Cyan Ages in Blender helped me a LOT. Everyone here did too, but actually navigating my way through a Cyan Age in Blender was a better teacher than any tutorial or posts on here.

2) If I've completely lost my blend file for one of my Ages, it is still possible to import it from the Age file. Granted, there would be data that was lost, but that is still better than having to start all over from scratch again.

3) Some one may want someone to look at their Age for them, and for one reason or another, can not upload their blend file. In that case, the person that is trying to help, can import their Age.

Now, I'm trying to import someone's Age to help them. But I can't see. Every single version of the Plugin prior to 1.5.0 is giving me an import error over a sitting region. And of course 1.5.0 had the PyPRP import tool completely removed from it.

Now, I could try going into the Age with something like PrpTool and delete the sitting regions and see if the earlier versions of the plugin will allow me to import the Age then. Only no, the PrpTool won't let me delete anything from the prp files.

Sooooo........

Basically I'm completely screwed on this.

I do know that GPNMillano was working on something that was allowing her to import the MOUL Ages and avoid some of the errors. I know that RTR also jumped in and fixed up some of the errors in some of the later versions of the Plugin.

Isn't there anyone out there that just might have a little bit of time to help the Dev's out and bring back the ability to import PyPRP files?

To me this was like buying a new Socket set for your tool box, and deciding to throw out the Vise Grips simply because you had something new and fancy to use. And then the day you NEEDED the vise grips, you were up the creek because you tossed them out and now having nothing to fix your problem with.

Not picking here, just really distressed that I can't help someone, nor fix a problem that I also have.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Importing and the Plugin

Postby GPNMilano » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Andy, there was a fix I made to my version of the plugin to allow importing of ages with sit regions. I'll try and track down what it was and post some the solution.

I had considered awhile of going over the old scripts and trying to get the importer fully functional, but with each new advancement of PyPRP it broke more and more. I stopped after 1.3.0. Which is the one I use for importing. I did a few adjustments to that version for a few of the advancments in PyPRP (Like the sit regions) But I still get errors from time to time. If my plate ever gets clear of a few projects, I want to take a look at that version again, and update it so that it gets rid of the few errors I still get. And hopefully, with time, add the new functionality of PYPRP into it.

(Ideally, this will result in the creation of two plugins, one for creation, and one for importation. But its a project that needs more time than I can give it right now, so It would probably be awhile before anything develops.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Chacal » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm with you Andy. I wish I could help.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby andylegate » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks guys, any help would be good.

I got the sit regions deleted with PrpExplorer, figuring that I could put them back in no sweat.

then it got upset about swim regions......

Then sounds for the swim areas......

Then the ShadowCasters for a few objects.....

Then a lamp, then another, and another, until i had to delete all the lamps.

When it then complained about footstep regions, I stopped.

I'm using version 1.3.1 of the plugin to export, and I can import most Cyan Ages for Uru:CC just fine with it.

So I took my suspicians. I loaded up an old blend file of Camp Bravo and exported it with 1.3.1.

It then IMPORTED just fine.

So then I exported it with version 1.4.1 or whatever that one was......and again, it imported just fine.

So then I exported it with version 1.5.0.......and now it's whining and crying about everything when I try to import it.

See a pattern here?

Anything that I export with version 1.5.0, can not be imported by the 1.3.1 version of the plugin. It get's damn upset about it.

Yet it will still import Cyan Ages.......

My brain hurts. And I've failed my friend, for today at least. I'm going to give up for now and go play some Pirates......At least my Importing / Exporting works fine there. I Import my gold from Navy and EITC ships, and export it to my treasure box.....
andylegate

Postby Lontahv » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Hmm... that's odd. What are the errors? Something may be something wrong with the newest version of the exporter. Just post the whole log if you want and I'll take a look. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:00 am

I just tested the version of PyPRP I use to import ages. And it imported a 1.5 age i made with no problems. (This age had sit regions, animations both object and layer animations. clickables and sounds. No wavesets or subworlds though, so I don't know how it will handle those. But it handles Cyan's fine. If the Devs would like I can post a link to the version of PyPRP that I use to import. (It was 1.3.1 I believe. And I did some modifications to it to get past import errors like Andy's. It imports just about every age in Uru.) Granted people will have to switch their scripts out for importing and exporting, (Or have a seperate blender installation just for importing, like I do.) But, at the very least they'll be able to import ages again without major errors.
GPNMilano

Postby andylegate » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:33 am

I think that would be cool to do, at least list it as a resource tool on the wiki so that people can use it if they so desire.

@Lontahv,

Since you're curious, here is the error that I get. Each time I delete the object using PrpExplorer, when I got to import again, it will give the exact same error, only for a different object the next time. And the next time, and the next time. Which is to say a Attribute Error

Code: Select all

[Type: 0xae]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 145, in open_file
  File "<string>", line 90, in import_age
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alcresmanag
er.py", line 196, in import_all
    self.load()
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alcresmanag
er.py", line 127, in load
    self.prp.read(f)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alcprpfile.
py", line 587, in read
    obj.read(buf)
py", line 385, in read
    o.read(buf,offset,size)
py", line 294, in read
    self.data.read(buf)
  File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alc_LogicCl
asses.py", line 1386, in read
    count = self.Read32()
AttributeError: plSittingModifier instance has no attribute 'Read32'
andylegate

Postby GPNMilano » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:49 am

Andy, I got that same problem when trying to import a MOUL age (Eder Tsogal). It was even throwing it up on simple objects like lights, and objects that don't have anything but draw interfaces. I think it is a result of deleting things within the PRP file. If you delete to many of them it gives you this error, so deleting more doesn't help.

To Import the MOUL ages at first, when I realized that deleting the objects weren't helping. (there were missing physicals, so I decided to delete the regions, and simulation interfaces etc attached to them) it threw up the error.

So instead i Imported objects with physicals into it, and renamed them. effectively giving them a new physical. (Its funny to see the pods littered with rocks from Eder Kemo :D ) But yeah, once you delete to many of them the importer gets sticky and just keeps passing on the same error to the next object it tries to import.
GPNMilano

Postby Lontahv » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 am

"You're a FOOL!" to quote Atrus. The only question is who was the fool. :P I guess we'll never know 'cause that's such an old PyPRP. :P

Just go to the file and line that that thing mentions (File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\alc_LogicCl
asses.py", line 1386, in read) and change "count = self.Read32()" to "count = stream.Read32()".

That should fix the problems.

Now to address the import problems: just wait a bit, Paradox, Zrax and myself are working on 2.x and it's currently excelling at importing basic stuff--that's how we're trying out stuff before we get it exporting. I'm pretty sure that "Import" function will be all fixed up by the time 2.x is released.

I know what you're saying: "Oh no, we have to wait." well... you can use Alcugs until then. ;) :P

Just saying, there are goodies around the corner... somewhere. :shock: ;)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby andylegate » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:23 am

No, I'm not a fool......I'm just G R E E D Y!

I want it ALL!

ALL I SAY! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Your news is good it here Lontahv, however, no, I can't wait as I have something to get done that has a deadline.

However I'll give what you suggested a try, plug GPNMillano was kind enough to offer me her version of the plugin. So I'll get it imported.

I could care less about the Regions and ALCscript, I need the Ages visable objects to import so I can rework their textures for them. Putting the regions like the sit regions back is will be a snap......

"Yes, you have to learn all that complicated scripting if you want to create an Age, Grasshopper...."

"Because it builds character, Master?"

"No. It builds Ages.........."

andylegate

Next

Return to Plasma Development