Descent MystV

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Descent MystV

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 am

I converted Descent from Myst V with the new updates for Drizzle. My god, the entire shaft, from top to bottom, is completely drawn and it is monstrous. It literally is three miles down. Can you imagine, if MORE becomes a success and this shaft replaces the one from MOUL and To D'ni, just how long it would take you to walk from top to bottom. It is literally bigger than Minkata in size. I haven't imported it yet into Blender, but I would not be surprised if the shaft was over 50 thousand blender units in z height. Its that big. Here's an image just to give you an idea:

This is Descent as seen from the Middle looking Up:

And this is Descent from the same spot, looking down:

Now, to appreciate the size. That small room you see at the bottom of the image. Thats the room from the POTS version of Descent. You can't see the bottom of the shaft from this angle. So, imagine the Descent we're familiar with in Uru, starting at that point and continuing down.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Re: Descent MystV

Postby Lontahv » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 am

Yeah, I imported it with other tools a month or two ago... it was fun to see Esher was right about the "nearly 3 miles above us" thing. This places D'ni at 7 miles under-ground if Aitrus's map was right. :)

Looks great all textured. :D How functional is it right off the bat?
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:11 am

Very interesting, GPNMilano.

This reminds me on a lecture I was going to give about The Great Shaft and the Aitrus Map, called "From Ae'gura to the surface". But I did not manage it before the Cavern was closed again, because it took me too long to collect authentic information about sizes, distances and dimensions.

Like mentioned here: (Great Shaft), the Great Shaft is 3 miles in length. But I don't know the source for this MYSTlore information.
Do I assume right that 1 blender unit is about 1 foot?
If this is true, the shaft should be about 16000 blender units in height. But if those "3 miles" are meant to be Nautical League, your estimation of 50000 unit comes near the truth. I'm really happy that we will know this soon definately.

By the way, do you have any idea about the diameter? I made some "measures" some time ago, when the Cavern was still open, and counted exactly 200 male (walking, not running) steps for walking one 360° circle. Under the assumption that one step equals about 3 feet, this would give a diameter of about 57,3 meter or 188 feet (perimeter: 180m or 590ft).

I hope you can determine this finally.
:)
tachzusamm

Postby Lontahv » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:33 am

In my import of it it's about 180 blend-units in diameter. Great estimate! :D
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:55 am

Thank you, Lontahv.

So it's true that one blender unit is 1 ft.? I'm still a bit confused about why this is the case.
Although I know one should assume that an avatar is about 6 blender units in height to get correct proportions in relation to other objects like chairs, it's a bit strange because 1 ft is not an SI unit.
Additionally I have read that one can assume a blender unit to equal "everything you want or need". Is there a setting in blender where to set the counterpart to real world coordinates and 1ft. is just the default value?
tachzusamm

Postby Trylon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:11 am

Blender units translate directly to Plasma/Uru units. It's more than reasonable that with Cyans tools 1 Max unit also corresponds to 1 Plasma unit.

Since Cyan is US based, they probably felt more comfortable measuring in feet than in meters when modeling objects.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:18 am

tachzusamm wrote:Very interesting, GPNMilano.

Like mentioned here: (Great Shaft), the Great Shaft is 3 miles in length. But I don't know the source for this MYSTlore information.
Do I assume right that 1 blender unit is about 1 foot?
If this is true, the shaft should be about 16000 blender units in height. But if those "3 miles" are meant to be Nautical League, your estimation of 50000 unit comes near the truth. I'm really happy that we will know this soon definately.

The 3 miles in length, I believe was from The Book of T'iana and Myst V (I know its from Myst V, but I'm not sure about the book. Esher mentioned, standing at the bottom of the shaft, that we were three miles below the surface)

In nautical miles, it would actually be 20,121 blender units. (I'm not surprised if Cyan made the Great Shaft exactly 3 miles in uru space long. As your calculation of its diameter was spot on.

Lontahv wrote:Looks great all textured. :D How functional is it right off the bat?

Right off the bat. Not very. The PythonFile mods don't work because of the change in interfaces between Myst V and Uru. (Myst V using the draggable command in its doors, elevators etc) The ladders don't work, and their regions actually crash Uru. (Hopefully this will be fixed shortly.) Other than that, its pretty solid. There's no footstep regions though because there was no avatar in Myst V. However the rest of the sounds work well enough. Animations are all there, with the exception of the biks for the books. (Its pretty cool because the Bahro's eyes, were actually part of the prps for the shaft, rather than the bahro animation prps. So when disabled, it looks like floating bright blue eyes in the ceiling sometimes. Kind of freaky.
GPNMilano

Postby diafero » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:30 am

When I link there I can see neither Bahro nor their eyes. Is there a way to trigger that animation?
Also, for all these Esher and Yeesha speeches and their prps... they're all superfluous, aren't they? They won't work in Uru anyway.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 am

diafero wrote:When I link there I can see neither Bahro nor their eyes. Is there a way to trigger that animation?
Also, for all these Esher and Yeesha speeches and their prps... they're all superfluous, aren't they? They won't work in Uru anyway.

I believe its in the lower fan room, in the niche where you get one of the last yeesha books. If you look up at the ceiling you can see a pair of floating blue eyes that bounce around. Also, you can hear the sounds of the bahro there.
GPNMilano

Postby diafero » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:17 am

I currently can't find it, maybe I do later.
Btw, I don't know how that translates into Blender units, but measured in the units of the coordinate system the engine uses (which I think should also be 1 foot for a unit), the Shaft is 2500 units high.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Plasma Development