Descent MystV

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Descent MystV

Postby andylegate » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:22 pm

It's okay GPN, what I'll do is tomorrow, I'll post how to make the sdl and python file for Minkata over on the Maintainers forum where I have the tutorials for this. I'm make it easy for them.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Ehren » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 pm

Is there a thread anywhere explaining how to do all this drizzle stuff from the begining to end?
Ehren

Postby Lontahv » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:00 am

Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Ehren » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:50 am

Lontahv wrote:http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=951 I think that's pretty complete. :)

Thank You!!! I got that to work
Ehren

Postby Erik » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:44 am

Well, after seeing everything in this topic I tried out Drizzle to convert some Myst V, and I'm impressed. Very impressed! The whole shaft in Uru! :o It's cool that so much is working. You can walk around, the sounds are working... When you rode down the shaft in Myst V, I always thought you saw a cut-scene and that Cyan didn't actually model the whole shaft. Well, I was mistaken. If there were collidors on the floors and no gaps, it would be possible to walk the whole shaft.

I also tried out Noloben, Laki and Direbo. Amazing. It just works, and it's a piece of cake to convert the files with Drizzle, and with the patched ULM, adding the Ages to Uru is painless. I think the Laki Age looks even better in Uru than in Myst V. It's funny to walk through corridors, which are the right size for avatars. We all knew the Ages from Myst V were for Uru originally, and Laki seems like it's fallen in place finally. I also discovered something in Laki that you can't see in Myst V. There are two pressure plates in the maze. One down, one upstairs. Makes sense of course. Otherwise you would have to jump to get back downstairs.

The only thing that isn't working is the Python code of course. I was wondering... is there any hope that the Python code can be converted to Uru? It would be awesome if you could ride the elevator and control the floor and the fans in the shaft.

So thanks for Drizzle, ddb174! It's getting better and better. I thought all hope for the shaft to be in Uru was lost, but I was mistaken. It's funny that people always said that people underestimated the time it would take to convert for example the shaft to Uru. Well, that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps we would have gotten the shaft in Uru according to the original plan (instead of fireworks).

I do have some questions about Drizzle:
  • Well, what I asked earlier: is there any hope that the Myst V Python code can be converted?
  • When you distributed Drizzle as a torrent a while ago, SDL and Python files were also included for the MOUL Ages. How can I create those files myself? The latest Drizzle version compiles the prp and age files, but how do I get the other files?
  • Could SDL files also be set up for Myst V Ages? For example, the fans can't be turned on in the shaft because python doesn't work, but would it be possible to set up a sdl variable to turn on the fans or to open doors?
  • I don't see any "scars" in Minkata. Is that correct, or is there something wrong on my side?
  • In Minkata the shadows look a bit odd sometimes and Negilahn looks quite different from Negilahn in MOUL (swamp is missing for example). I presume things like that are because Uru:CC uses an older DirectX version?
  • The Watcher's Pub isn't working. I don't know why, because I just converted it like all the other Ages. The game crashes when I try to link to it.
  • Would it be possible to mix certain Ages with tools like PRPExplorer? For example, would it be possible to get Dr. Watson's journal in the shaft from Myst V?
Erik

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:57 am

Erik wrote:[Well, what I asked earlier: is there any hope that the Myst V Python code can be converted?
There are some differences which must be globally replaced, but in theory, yes. However, for this to be useful, there are some further hurdles: First, SDL (see down), and then - most of the puzzles are not playable without the tablet, which is impossible to do. Third, some of the "clickables" in Myst V were actually "Draggables", like the doors in Direbo, I don't know how this should be converted to Uru. What is already possible though with some python patches Dustin put into SVN is having these doors always open.

Erik wrote:[When you distributed Drizzle as a torrent a while ago, SDL and Python files were also included for the MOUL Ages. How can I create those files myself? The latest Drizzle version compiles the prp and age files, but how do I get the other files?
You can't get them, they're not on your hard disk. It's what was always downloaded during that annoying update when you launched MOUL. You will have to find someone who got the torrent and can send you these files.

Erik wrote:[Could SDL files also be set up for Myst V Ages? For example, the fans can't be turned on in the shaft because python doesn't work, but would it be possible to set up a sdl variable to turn on the fans or to open doors?
It's more the Python doesn't work because SDL will be hard to do ;-) The SDL of Myst V is different than the one of Uru (it's more powerful), and the Myst V ages have no BuiltIn page which Uru requires for SDL to work. Dustin is working on that though, the latest Drizzle contains some code to create BuiltIn pages.

Erik wrote:I don't see any "scars" in Minkata. Is that correct, or is there something wrong on my side?
That's something Dustin only recently managed to fix :) The latest SVN version of Drizzle already does the necessary prp changes, there are some visually glitches though unless you also have the right Python files (I guess Dustin will also put them on SVN).

Erik wrote:[Would it be possible to mix certain Ages with tools like PRPExplorer? For example, would it be possible to get Dr. Watson's journal in the shaft from Myst V?[/list]
Not with PRPExplorer, but with Blender importing and re-exporting. It's what GPNMilano also planned to do in order to fix the MOUL ages (ladders etc.) until Dustin figured out how Drizzle can do that automatically. It must be quite hard though.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby andylegate » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:55 am

Not with PRPExplorer, but with Blender importing and re-exporting. It's what GPNMilano also planned to do in order to fix the MOUL ages (ladders etc.) until Dustin figured out how Drizzle can do that automatically. It must be quite hard though.

It can be quite hard....but with the right motivation, you can do some great stuff! :D

Show Spoiler
andylegate

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:18 am

Heh Andy.

Why not put the books in the book case. Start remaking Myst what it used to be.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby andylegate » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:35 am

Yah, that would be a good place for them, hehe. I just put them on that stand for now.

I was able to do this by:

Importing Myst into Blender (that took some work let me tell you, I had to go in and delete things with PRPExplorer that the importing got every upset about:

ActivatorConditionalObject 's

Many, MANY animations,

ANY Drag region

TONS of Proxy's

:shaking my head: I really , REALLY wish I could just have it IGNORE what it doesn't understand and skip it. All I needed was the physical objects themselves to be used as a reference, so I know here things are to add stuff in Blender:

Myst In Blender Show Spoiler

Once there, I can move things out of the way (like the roof of the library) and put in my own objects, making sure they are all on their unique, own page, click regions, etc. This makes sure that upon export, I've created a brand new spaking prp file for the Age.

Then it's just a matter of opening up the .age file itself in UruFun and add the prp Page, and save it. For things like the Books, I created a python file for it. And Tah-DAh! Linked in and it works just fine! :D

I fixed some of the sound files this way too.

However, I'm having a horrible time trying to import the other Ages, like Direbo, Noloben, Tahgira. I DID get the first ice cave in Tahgira to import, but only after going into that prp file and deleting ALL the dummy's for the ice that cracks open, Crack Region, all sorts of things that Importing whines about (instead of just SKIPPING, like I wish it would.)

Tahgira Ice Cave Show Spoiler

Oh, and be warned....it take a LOT of time to use PRPExplorer to delete these things. You can not select more than one things at a time to delete. So even if you have, oh let's say, All the click regions for all those windows for Esher's lab in Noloben to get rid of. There are MANY of them. But you can't select them all at once. Instead you have to: Right click on it, left click on delete, left click on "Ok" for each one.....your eyeballs will start to bleed after awhile of doing this....or worse...you'll get fatigued and accidently delete something you didn't mean too.

But it's worth it in the end......You can fix things, put in ladder regions where they need to go....put in a collider in places that are needed so you don't fall out of the Age.......
Last edited by andylegate on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
andylegate

Postby Szark » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:39 am

I would just like to echo Erik's words, thank you ever so much for your tools. Together with Andy's tutorial I have managed to drizzle and so on.
Erik I only found out about the SDL and Pyton files myself today. DARN! Sneaky Cyan but it sems obvious why, can't blame them at all really. Some is better than none so again thanks to all who made this possible for dummies like me.

Take care

Szark
Szark

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development