Drizzle 9.0

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Drizzle 9.0

Postby Jeffrey » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:34 pm

Ok I am trying to se Drizzle 9.0 to convert all of my files and on certain files i get this error

Console:stderr:java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

how do i get this to work or change the heap space. I am a complete idiot when it comes to things like this.
Jeffrey

Re: Drizzle 9.0

Postby Lontahv » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:59 pm

Hmm... how much memory do you have physically in your box.

Drizzle eats memory for breakfast.
:P

I have 512mbs of mem and I can't convert large ages with Drizzle because it uses 400mbs+ of my memory and then goes looking for Swap to eat (gigs of swap at that).
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:08 pm

There's a separate batch file for Drizzle that overcomes the memory heap space error. I no longer have it though, so you'd have to ask Dustin. (I was pretty sure though that all released versions of Drizzle were compiled so that people wouldn't get this error)
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Jeffrey » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:15 pm

I have 1.5 GB in my machine. Basically the only files it will not let me convert are the texture files.
Jeffrey

Postby ddb174 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:52 pm

1.5GB is tons, so no problem there. Are you using the Drizzle9.jar file from SourceForge? When you first start Drizzle does it give any warning in the message box below?
ddb174

Postby diafero » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:55 am

But I have to confirm that Drizzle eats up huge amounts of memory. I have 2GB, and Drizzle uses that much of it that I can not run Uru (which takes about 500MB) at the same time without the system starting to swap (that's on Linux, and the rest of the system takes about 400MB).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby GPNMilano » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:19 am

I'm really starting to wonder if the problems Drizzle has with memory is entirely Linux Based. I run Drizzle on Windows, and I have no problems starting, running, converting full ages, and I never get the memory heap error when I do. I have a gig of ram, and while I sometimes get performance issues when running Drizzle, (I tend to wait till after I'm done running drizzle to run anything else at the same time, when I'm converting, as it slows down the processor speed.) I never come across any of the problems people are reporting here, and my computer is far from top of the line, and I do TONS more Drizzling than the average person. (I've converted 95 % of all the MOUL and MystV files at least once, while some files i've done multiple times in order to edit them.)
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby ddb174 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:22 am

Yeah, something's not right for Fero. Disk access efficiency drops way down when there is contention between two programs, and Uru does tend to click away on disk, so this may be an effect of running Uru and Age Conversion at the same time. Java always has a limited heap size(set when the program starts up), and it cannot go above that for any reason. Drizzle is set at 800MB, and I've done a full run on a 1GB machine without any swapping. When doing things other than converting, Drizzle should be using a pretty small amount of RAM(~25MB). I could probably cut down the 800MB to 250MB, but this would drastically cut down on its power, since much of what it does requires knowledge of all the objects in a prp, so at its height of memory use it has the entire raw original, the entire parsed version, a deque of partially compiled objects, and a fully compiled new prp; so it in some sense has the same data 4 times at that point. All the same, a person willing to go out for some lunch should be able to get away with a 256MB machine.
ddb174

Postby diafero » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:39 am

Couldn't it remove the raw original from memory after the parsing is completed? Also, sum file creating takes quite a while, perhaps there's a way to do that without loading the complete file into memory again?
Since my upgrade from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, Drizzle runs much faster. I'll just have to live with a short stop in my other development processes while I convert the whole of Myst V or MOUL (converting single prps is no problem).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Jeffrey » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:41 am

ddb174 wrote:1.5GB is tons, so no problem there. Are you using the Drizzle9.jar file from SourceForge? When you first start Drizzle does it give any warning in the message box below?

Yes is does say something in the message box
Warning: You should run Drizzle with a larger maximum heap space. E.g.: java -Xmx800m -jar DrizzlePrp.jar

It is from the SourceForge Drizzle9.jar added 11/26/2008

I am running Windows XP professional with 1.5 GB of system RAM

Now if I use Drizzle8, everything runs just fine. If there is a way to increase the heap size great i'd be willing to do that, but I dont know what mine is set at and I don't even know where to go to look and see if I can change it.
Jeffrey

Next

Return to Plasma Development