Drizzle and Revelation or Exile

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Drizzle and Revelation or Exile

Postby I.Brattin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:26 pm

I noticed the tabs for realMyst and Riven in Drizzle. I expect eventually those will be importable into Uru via Drizzle.

Now I wonder about Revelation and Exile, mainly Revelation. I want to visit Tomahna in Uru. I expect the Ubi file structures are not similar to those used by Cyan. But is it a possibility that somewhere down the road that, I don't really expect any time soon let alone this year, we might be able to visit either the Exile or Revelation ages.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I.Brattin

Re: Drizzle and Revelation or Exile

Postby ddb174 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 pm

It's not possible (even in principle) to extract enough information from the still images and videos to reconstruct enough of the world's geometry. So, OriginalMyst, MystMasterpiece, Riven, Exile, and Revelation will not be convertible for play in Uru. And even if we had the original files that the Cyan, Presto, and Ubisoft used to create them, we would have the problem that they cannot be rendered fast-enough for a real-time game without reducing the geometry detail, not using ray-tracing, etc.

Still, we may one day see the realMyst Ages! Though that's on a bit of a backburner for now.

Many of the things in Drizzle have nothing to do with Uru at all, e.g. the Proxy server and Wiki spider. The Riven tab is just for extracting Riven resources, but Riveal does that better anyway (albeit closed-source).
ddb174

Postby I.Brattin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:40 am

Shoot, next to being able to explore Ae'gura further. Tomahna was the next place I wanted to explore in Uru. Maybe Cyan will someday down the road, probably a few years down the road, release Tomahna for Osmo.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby ddb174 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:48 pm

That would be quite neat! It's worth noting, though, that Cyan didn't make Tomahna: Presto made the first version, and Ubisoft Montreal extended it ;)
ddb174

Postby I.Brattin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Yeah I know Presto did it for Exile and Ubi expanded on it for Revelation. Still it would be nice if Cyan one day would release their own version of Tomahna.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby Grogyan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 pm

Would be interesting to see if anyone could even try and replicate it, for port into Uru.

By replicate I mean model the whole thing, texture, light, animate and script it, purely from QT3DVR nodes.

Cyan won't do it, The myst franchise I think is nearly at an end, and Cyan may only produce An Age or two at some later stage for MOOSE, providing they have money that is.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Jojon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 am

Whilst the games are obviously prerendered, I am half a-wondering whether, for the purpose of remodelling from scratch, the extra realtime overlay effects in Revelation are "baked" onto the 2D images, or if they retain and use for rendering, their 3D coordinates, which would originate from the original project data.
If the latter is the case and that data could be extracted, that might be of some help with the general layout, however little. :7
Jojon

Postby I.Brattin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:48 am

Grogyan wrote:Would be interesting to see if anyone could even try and replicate it, for port into Uru.

By replicate I mean model the whole thing, texture, light, animate and script it, purely from QT3DVR nodes.

Cyan won't do it, The myst franchise I think is nearly at an end, and Cyan may only produce An Age or two at some later stage for MOOSE, providing they have money that is.

Only bad thing about trying to replicate it. It is covered under Cyan or Ubi's copyrights and I think it would not be available as a UCC for Uru or OSMO. Basically anyone who tried to recreate it couldn't share it.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Postby Zander » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Well, I for one am hoping that realMyst will not stay on the back burner indefinitely. Riven is going to be problematic because it's also pre-rendered, obviously...but I'd really like to walk on Myst when it was alive. Bring on the Gorkorvahktee...
Zander

Postby I.Brattin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:15 am

What I want to do is visit the Myst ages; Channelwood, Mechanical, Etc. Especially Rime.
MOUL Again Ki #'s
I.Brattin - 777796
I.Brattin

Return to Plasma Development