Previewing Decals for Plasma in Blender

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Previewing Decals for Plasma in Blender

Postby Christian Walther » Sun May 31, 2009 12:30 am

Thanks, tikibear.

I just added this to the list of additions under consideration for the upcoming release. Feel free to edit if you want.

tikibear wrote:I had no intention of modding anything public myself without knowing how. I'll learn and follow the prescribed process.

That sounded a bit intimidated... :oops: don't be. There isn't really any such thing as a prescribed process that you absolutely need to follow, and we're here to help. The process of submitting contributions by adding them to the publicly writable contrib folder in Subversion has just turned out to work well in the past, my insistence on using copy rather than add is just a detail that I think will make it work even better, and the scrutiny you're getting from my part is just caused by the fact that we happen to be preparing a release, and therefore the question of whether your change should be included in it needs to be answered a bit more urgently than if you had come at any other time. I'm just trying to keep things organized, I don't have any particular authority except that I've volunteered to coordinate the release process.
Christian Walther

Postby tikibear » Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 am

I discovered that texture scaling for IPOs wasn't implemented in the script copy I have. I implemented it along with the corrected offsets.
I'll leave trickscale out of my implementation.
Next I'll work on the update scripts.
tikibear

Postby tikibear » Sun May 31, 2009 8:59 pm

Well, for the moment I'm stumped with the scripts to update projects. Changing the IPO curves doesn't actually have any effect, so there's a step I'm missing. Sigh.
tikibear

Postby Christian Walther » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:32 am

Assigning to BezTriple.pt (not to its elements) and then calling IpoCurve.recalc(), or assigning to BezTriple.vec seems to work for me.

If you can show us what you've got so far, maybe we can find a solution.
Christian Walther

Postby tikibear » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Indeed I forgot to try tuples in toto! Thanks! Now I have the scripts working. Next to try Subversion.
I need a "Try Tuples In Toto" T shirt.
tikibear

Postby tikibear » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:09 pm

I don't see how to start with Subversion or how to access the PyPRP build tree or whatever. Sorry for being so clue-free.
tikibear

Postby Christian Walther » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:05 am

That's OK - we're all here to learn! (At least I am.)

First, I assume you're on Windows and prefer to use a graphical tool. If so, download and install TortoiseSVN. If not, the command-line client for various platforms is available here.

Second, are you vaguely familiar with what revision control software like Subversion does, or would you like a short introduction? There is also a complete manual if you want to jump right in.

For the rest, we can continue here, by PM, or on IRC (channel #PyPRP or #writers on irc.guildofwriters.com). I don't have much time today, but otherwise I'm there on most European evenings. The other people who hang around there, when they're not away, should be able to help you too. If you want to try on your own in the meantime (don't worry if this is all Greek to you - I'll explain it in time): the repository URL is http://svn.guildofwriters.com/pyprp . You can start with checking out the trunk (which is read-only for the public) to get the most recent code, and later you'll want to make your own subfolder under contrib (where you can commit your contributions).
Christian Walther

Postby tikibear » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:48 pm

OK. I've used Clearcase, which has similar behavior. I've done my share of merging files.
BTW, isn't the plugin source, that's going to be released, for PhysX rather than Plasma?
tikibear

Postby tikibear » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:19 pm

I'm about to update PaperPagodas with more decals, now that they're easier. More importantly I've added a demo of the animated texture scaling.
tikibear

Postby tikibear » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:52 pm

Now ULM isn't working and I can't upload my age. Sigh.
tikibear

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development