Previewing Decals for Plasma in Blender

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Previewing Decals for Plasma in Blender

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Ok, as expected my offsets are now totally screwed up with the latest commit to the trunk. And of course I never got around to testing the correction script. Now that I need it I cannot get the python scripts to run. Run it from a text window you say? I am hitting "Execute script" but that does nothing...

And btw which of these scripts do I need?

Edit: Actually I did not have any offsets set but I did make heavy use of texture scaling (sizeX, sizeY and sizeZ). And scaling is now ignored it seems...

Edit 2: I did get the scripts to run but they do not change anything. My scaled textures remain screwed.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Christian Walther » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:33 pm

forBlender.py is the script you need, if I'm not mistaken.

sizeZ is ignored now (that was the "trickscale" that was removed). You need to multiply that to sizeX and sizeY instead (before the conversion). Good point, that should be integrated into the conversion script too. If that takes you out of the allowed range of sizeX and sizeY, we have a problem...
Christian Walther

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:01 pm

For the green tiles I have sizeX=1, sizeY=2, sizeZ=3

So what do I need to do exactly? sizeX=3, sizeY=6 And then convert? The conversion does nothing... It says it goes through the materials but nothing changes. Does it go through all the textures of the material? This material has 3 textures including alpha.

Anyway, here are the pictures that say more than 1000 words.

before.jpg
before
before.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

after.jpg
after
after.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 2725 times
D'Lanor

Postby Christian Walther » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:52 pm

D'Lanor wrote:For the green tiles I have sizeX=1, sizeY=2, sizeZ=3
So what do I need to do exactly? sizeZ=6 And then convert?

No, multiplying the other way around. sizeX = 3, sizeY = 6, sizeZ doesn't matter. Then convert. If the ofs were 0 before, then the result of the conversion should be

ofsX = 0 + 0.5 * 3 - 0.5 = 1.0
ofsY = -(0 + 0.5 * 6 - 0.5) = -2.5
ofsZ and sizes unmodified

D'Lanor wrote:Does it go through all the textures of the material? This material has 3 textures including alpha.

It should. Add some debug output to the script if you have doubts...
Christian Walther

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks. I figured it out and edited my post while you replied. ;) I thought the conversion would fix my scaling but now I understand that it does not. I am hardly using offsets so I guess that is why I did not see the change. :oops: And in those rare cases where I am using offsets their values do not really matter. As long as they are different for all texture layers to create a non-repetitiveness effect.
D'Lanor

Previous

Return to Plasma Development