Documentation volunteers wanted for PyPRP release

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Documentation volunteers wanted for PyPRP release

Postby Christian Walther » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 am

On the hopeful assumption that the reason for the lack of response so far - apart from the short time - is just that many non-developers don't read the PyPRP release development thread anymore:

Documentation writers wanted!

Two (and a half) new features of PyPRP still need to be documented for the upcoming release, and that would take less time if I didn't have to do it myself. If you would like to contribute to the release, here is what you can do: Figure out how a new or changed feature works, by experimenting and asking questions, then write down your findings on the wiki (in tutorial or reference form) so that others don't have to repeat the experimenting and asking in the future. Head over here for more detailed descriptions of what there is to do. If the job descriptions or anything else are unclear, please say so. You don't have to be a developer, I'll do my best to take care of the technical side of things.
Christian Walther

Re: Documentation volunteers wanted for PyPRP release

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:09 am

Christian - did you see the thread Marcello started a few weeks ago?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby diafero » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:48 am

He replied to it, so I would guess so...
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Marcello » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Christian and I talked about this earlier. Please make a distinction between technical documentation and tutorials. We arranged (but please correct me Christian if I'm wrong) that Christian would try to get basic technical documentation for new plugin features. I would start a 'program' to translate these to tutorials and try to enhance the existing tutorials. Mainly since some features that are available in the current plugin aren't fully covered now.
Marcello

Postby Christian Walther » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Well, I'd have to re-read our conversation to be sure of what exactly we arranged :) - but for the task at hand I'm not making a particular distinction between technical documentation and tutorials. Either of the two is fine, my goal is just to have some documentation of any kind for the new features in the release. Developers probably find it easier to write technical documentation about their additions (at least I do), but since in these particular cases the documentation isn't written by the developer, I'm happy to accept whatever the documentation writer is most comfortable with. You are right in that for the moment I am solely concerned with new features - I can live with underdocumented previous features staying underdocumented for another while, but making new features accessible to the user base is the whole point of making a release.

Robert, I'm not sure what you are alluding to - from my point of view the two efforts (making two new features release-ready, started by me here; and improving existing documentation, started by Marcello in the other thread) are largely independent, apart perhaps from drawing from the same pool of volunteers. I actually considered posting this request in that thread, but then decided that a new thread would probably be less distracting and get more attention.
Christian Walther

Return to Plasma Development