Myst V improvements

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Myst V improvements

Postby Darien » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am

After loading the June 16 update, I explored some, but couldn't detect anything different. Then I started a new game and noticed that the the Great Shaft's movable floor was now down where before it was up. My previously saved games still had the floor up. I guess this is a vault variable.

Was lowering the floor again intentional? Since I prefer the floor to be raised, is there a way to make this an Offline Ki /set command? Were there any other changes to the Myst V ages with this release?

I still don't have footstep sounds in Laki'ahn, but I do have ambient sounds and music. Is my game messed up or have footsteps not been added yet?
Darien

Re: Myst V improvements

Postby diafero » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:47 am

After loading the June 16 update, I explored some, but couldn't detect anything different.
The changes are quite small: Payiferen now has solid ground in the desert so you can walk on it (however, you will have to wait for Offline KI 2.8 to support this) and I removed something from the MarshScene additions which could possibly be visible (the file had a DrawInterface and a DrawableSpan, which it should not have since it should add onyl regions and things like that, so I removed them).

The floor should always have been down, I wonder why it was not in the previous versions. There can not be a /set option for this since SDL does not work for the Myst V ages, sorry. The only way to change this is to edit the Python file controlling the floor (it is somewhere in mystv.pak).

Yes, Laki has no footsteps as Race did not (yet) succeed in importing that age into Blender.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Darien » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:01 pm

The floor should always have been down, I wonder why it was not in the previous versions. There can not be a /set option for this since SDL does not work for the Myst V ages, sorry. The only way to change this is to edit the Python file controlling the floor (it is somewhere in mystv.pak).

This saved game was created with a clean install of Uru: CC and the Myst V/CT Improvements of 2009Feb16. The counterweights that closed off the doors leading to the bottom floor had no collision planes, so you could just walk through. If you didn't want to walk through them you could get to the bottom by linking to Direbo and then back to the Great Shaft by the book near the Laki'ahn bubble. This saved game currently has the 2009June16 update installed so this setting must be saved in my vault. New games now show the floor down. Personally, I like the floor up much better.
Attachments
rand gets the shaft2.JPG
rand gets the shaft2.JPG (57.08 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
rand gets the shaft.JPG
rand gets the shaft.JPG (73.41 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
Darien

Postby Chacal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:12 pm

diafero wrote:Payiferen now has solid ground in the desert so you can walk on it

Aargh! I hate you. Was working on that. :x
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Darien » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Something weird is going on. I started over with a clean installation of Uru CC and loaded the Myst V/CT Improvements of 2009Feb16 and I get the floor down. Now I'm not sure what version was used to create the saved game pictured above. :?

Edit: Could this have been from a previous version of Drizzle?
Last edited by Darien on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darien

Postby Jusme » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Things that make you say HMMMM? ROFL
Jusme

Postby Jusme » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 pm

diafero wrote:(however, you will have to wait for Offline KI 2.8 to support this)

Does this mean that there are other releases besides 2.7.4? Like 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9?
Jusme

Postby ddb174 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:15 pm

About the floor in the Great Shaft: Yes, it should be up, for maximal accessibility. The python file that does this is in the Offline-KI, though, not the Myst5 Additon. I've checked it out on my installation and I can verify this regression. Another thing for 2.8 ;)

Chacal: I think Race has given up on them for now, and I really really like them, so if you would like to do Negilahn or Dereno for example, you could check with Race, and I would be very grateful!
ddb174

Postby diafero » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:33 am

Strange, I'll have a look at the floor - it seems I mixed up where it is supposed to be :D

Jusme wrote:Does this mean that there are other releases besides 2.7.4? Like 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9?
No, the version number does not swap after 9 -there could be a 2.7.12 as well. However the next KI brings some architecture changes and cleanup and it adds some cool new features so I decided to call it 2.8 :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Plasma Development