Uru crashing

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Uru crashing

Postby dagra7 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:58 pm

I don't know if this is a Drizzle problem or an Uru problem, so I thought I'd post it here just in case. I started Uru tonight hoping to finally catch one of the pod portals, and lo and behold, Uru crashed on startup. It got past the Ubisoft and Cyan screens, survived the first loading screen, and then crashed before it could start loading the second screen. I've been playing the game (more or less) in order, finally managed to finish Minkata and was just starting Er'cana (the PoTS version) when I ended the last time. I'm running Drizzle 20 with Offline KI 2.8.1. Any thoughts? I've attached the error message.
Attachments
Uru Error2.JPG
Uru Error2.JPG (26.59 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
-------------------------
Cheers,
Dagra7
dagra7

Re: Uru crashing

Postby Old Wolle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:18 am

It seems you are running WinXP so that is not the problem.
Did you something installed to your Uru-Folder AFTER you leave Ercana the last time?
The word "vegetarian" has an Indian origin and can be translated as: "the one who is too dumb to hunt".

Das Wort "Vegetarier" hat einen indianischen Ursprung und bedeutet übersetzt "Der zu blöd zum Jagen ist".
Old Wolle

Postby diafero » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 am

Strange, another Er'cana issue...

Even plain unpatched TPOTS makes Er'cana crash and show bluescreens sometimes, so that might be the cause for this issue. Did you install anything else besides the Offline KI (fan ages, Drizzle converted ages, external patches)?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby ddb174 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 am

It could also be Uru's vault bug: if you have too many screenshots it can crash. Try starting Uru with a new avatar.
ddb174

Postby dagra7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:57 pm

I think that must be it, because I tried to load the game with an older avatar, and it worked. I'm severely choked that I have to start my game over again, but I'll obviously have to avoid taking too many pictures! Thanks for the help!
dagra7

Postby ddb174 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Yes, I'm terribly sorry about that! It's a bug with Uru itself, and hopefully if/when Cyan open-sources the client, it may be fixable. You can still see your old screenshots in the KIImages folder in your Uru installation.
ddb174

Postby Chacal » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Can't this be fixed using Zrax's VaultShop?
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Nanouk-GoW » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:41 am

Would emptying the KIimages folder in the main Uru game folder before launching the game help ?
(create a backup KI images folder with a subfolder for each backup(different title) in your documents)
Nanouk-GoW

Postby D'Lanor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:41 am

Chacal wrote:Can't this be fixed using Zrax's VaultShop?

Good idea. Although I don't recall off the top of my head if the age journals can be edited there.

Nanouk-GoW wrote:Would emptying the KIimages folder in the main Uru game folder before launching the game help ?

No. The Offline KI has changed the default TPOTS behavior and saves them in the actual vault as well. And that is where the problem happens.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:47 am

Nanouk-GoW wrote:Would emptying the KIimages folder in the main Uru game folder before launching the game help ?
(create a backup KI images folder with a subfolder for each backup(different title) in your documents)
No, that folder is a one-way sync: new pictures taken in the KI are put there, but changes amde in the folder do in no way affect the vault.

@Chacal: Perhaps Zrax can comment on this, I have no clue what exactly is causing the crash. If it is a bug in the read functions, it could be fixable by reducing the vault size with VaultShop. If it is a write bug I doubt VaultShop can do anything about it.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Return to Plasma Development