Pelishard Fork

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Pelishard Fork

Postby ddb174 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:48 am

Apparently, Dhel has created a fork of Drizzle called "Drizzle Pelishard Edition". Apparently, all that's changed is the button pictures, but a warning is in order. As many of you know, often from personal experience, Dhel is not a trustworthy individual, and I *highly* recommend that you not run any software that he has modified.

And that goes for Pelishard itself: there are many other shards out there, and Pelishard has done some pretty awful things. They literally copy and pasted the mystonline.com website, modified Cyan's startup video into one mocking Cyan, ask for donations, claim that Cyan approves of their shard (which Cyan denies), take credit for work they did not do themselves(Pelishard is itself just a collection of other people's work, really), officially give out all the myst5/crowthistle files(which people should be buying and converting themselves if they want to use online), and much more... these are just some of the things they've done wrong with Pelishard, and doesn't even start to list the awful things they've done before Pelishard...

Even though they use an Alcugs server, it should be made clear that the people at Alcugs do not approve of what they are doing, and even though what they do is quite illegal, Alcugs is not itself illegal. If you are a member of Pelishard, I would highly recommend that you go to another shard, one where the admins are not as domineering nor foolish.

And you are free to be a member of multiple shards and go around visiting. All this is just meant as a "heads up" for newbies; as I say, many people already know all this.
ddb174

Re: Pelishard Fork

Postby diafero » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:58 am

Even though they use an Alcugs server, it should be made clear that the people at Alcugs do not approve of what they are doing, and even though what they do is quite illegal, Alcugs is not itself illegal.
I can only confirm that part :D

They are also using Offline KI (which works fine online :lol: ) without any approval - and without paying credit to any of its contributors (which list, btw, you can see by runing the "/info" command).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby ddb174 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 am

Dhel is now distributing this fake version of Drizzle. Since there is no reason that Pelishard cannot use the real Drizzle, two motivations come to mind: 1) He may just be trying to create some drama by annoying me(he does this to numerous people; a "drama-queen" as they say in English), or 2) He has modified it to contain malicious code. Based on his personality, these are both very real possibilities. And in case it is the second, I *strongly* recommend that no-one runs it, whether they visit Pelishard or not. Please just wait for the authentic Drizzle21 due out this week.

Does anyone use the current working SVN version? Because I suppose that I now have to stop updating that except when a new version of Drizzle comes about, or else Dhel may just keep abusing this service. I could still email the current working version to old-timers that I know, however. Please let me know if this change would negatively affect anyone!
ddb174

Postby Dhelayan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:03 am

Okay, tell me where that "malicious code" is please?!
you made the Sourcecode available, what do you expect!?
I just downloaded it, and changed a few Icons because the old ones look aweful!

Moderator Note: Please keep the language family-friendly.
Last edited by Tsar Hoikas on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unacceptable Language
Dhelayan

Postby Nalates » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:44 am

Why a new post on this is now on GoMa... I'm not sure.

Has Dhel posted his source on a site? Do the CRC or MD5 comparisons/signatures from a compile of it match the download package?
What do source difference comparisons show?

Does it even matter?
ImageNalates - Guild of Cartographers
Guild Apprentice: GoW, GoMa - Liaison: GoC to GoMe, GoC to SL (Nalates Urriah)
MO:UL 00 379 343 - Author: Uru Maps Tech Data
Nalates

Postby Mystler » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 am

Where is the problem with downloading public source code from a SVN, replacing some pics with nicer ones and compile that for some users??? This is PUBLIC code under the GPL license. There are also many tutorials to compile Drizzle. Everyone can do this! I DON'T see ANY problem with that.
Mystler

Postby Jamey » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:09 pm

I already own the current normal version of Drizzle and the Offline KI, and since I don't do illegal shards, anything involving them shouldn't create any problems for me.

Looking forward to future installments :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Dhelayan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:12 pm

then why do you even answer here?
Dhelayan

Postby Jamey » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Uhhh, because I can? :?
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Mystler wrote:Where is the problem with downloading public source code from a SVN, replacing some pics with nicer ones and compile that for some users??? This is PUBLIC code under the GPL license. There are also many tutorials to compile Drizzle. Everyone can do this! I DON'T see ANY problem with that.

I suppose the answer to this question is another question. Did you release the source code with your release or can your source code be easily accessed? The GPL requires you release the source code for any binary releases.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Plasma Development