Pelishard Fork

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Pelishard Fork

Postby obiwan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 am

yep :)

so see you next cyantury everybody
obiwan

Postby andylegate » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Keep in mind a shard is not someone with a spare computer running it out of their home with their DSL internet connection.

You need server space and bandwidth........a LOT of bandwidth. Bandwidth cost $$$. More you need, the more it will cost you.

Some shard owners simply do not have the bandwidth available to them to have more than 10 to 20 people in their shard. So unless Pelishard had big bucks just laying around that could be spent on bandwidth, I highly doubt it would have been the "Everyone That Has Not Been Invited To A Private Shard, Come Here."

I've seen some bad feelings towards people that have not been invited to a shard, etc. Think about it for a minute before you get too upset.

Let's say You're Joe Shmoe. You had a big Hood back on MOUL.....over 200 people you partied with everyday!.......

Joe decided to set up a shard. Hey, all the tools are out there.....even some new fan Ages now that look pretty decent! Heck! Why not throw the Myst V Ages in there too! This shard will ROCK!!!!

Uh.....wow, I'm only going to be able to handle about 20 people max....and even then it's going to be laggy as heck......can't afford anything bigger.....

So who does Joe invite???? He can't invite all 200 that were in his hood. Well some have drifted off, never to be heard from again.....okay, well that whittled it down some.....okay, so Mary, Sue, Bob and Billy have stuck around since MOUL shut down, and have been in contact with me since then, every day.....
So Joe goes through the people he knows, who have kept in touch, who has not, etc.

So he gets the shard going.....then down the road, we have others pop up that had been MIA but are now back. What does Joe do? He can't invite them to the shard, it's maxed out! And if he tells them about it, he's going to be worried about bad feelings popping up.......ahhhggg......what a nightmare.

So you see, it's not a eliteist thing at all (wellllllll....there might be some out there like that). But there are many reasons why some of you are not or have not been invited to a shard. Where have you been? Been gone long? Possible that no one in the circle of friends that you hung out with set up a shard? Many reasons.

Create some Ages....THAT will get you invites. For awhile there, I was getting invites on a weekly basis, heh. Turned down most of them as I was just to darn busy, and I knew that they could invite another friend if I wasn't holding up a spot on a shard I rarely went to.

Hopefully, one day, there will be a way to link shards together. I'm on Eve right now as I type this, mining some Veldspar in the Isamm system....there are 37,295 people logged on. To the same server. There is only ONE instance of Eve. And NO lag at all. Would be cool if we could set up a Uru like that.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby diafero » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Actually running a Shard is not that costy, Uru does not need that much bandwidth (the game itself, that is). The dataserver is a slightly different matter, but that can easily be put on a machine only used for serving data, without full root access, to make things cheaper. I don't know how big the biggest Shard out there is, but handling 30 players in an age on a V-server for 10€/months should not be a problem.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:58 pm

diafero wrote:Actually running a Shard is not that costy, Uru does not need that much bandwidth (the game itself, that is). The dataserver is a slightly different matter, but that can easily be put on a machine only used for serving data, without full root access, to make things cheaper. I don't know how big the biggest Shard out there is, but handling 30 players in an age on a V-server for 10€/months should not be a problem.

This is correct. Back in the UU days, I had a low end PC from 1999 serving 30 players at once and willing to take more. The rumors involving UU's instability are highly exaggerated.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Previous

Return to Plasma Development