Pelishard Fork

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Re: Pelishard Fork

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Chacal wrote:Hard to argue about that, Jamey.

And you could replace the word "shard" with several others, in real life.
A good thing to remember when someone does something wrong to you.

Never truer words.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Nalates » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Karkadann wrote:[...snip...]I'd be willing to bet someone in Cyan has been keeping an eye on this whole situation and is waiting to see if we can resolve it, because if we can't THEY may not wanna trust us with Open source. Uru Live is thier brain child and if it where me I would not trust it to someone who can not work these kinda problems out. because they're gonna pop up sooner or later.

I hate to be a stick in the mud but the pessimistic part of me keeps saying the delay in open source is a result of the shard wars, if im right and the shard wars cant be boiled down to friendly competition and comparing notes of what works and what does not. we may never see open source and then everybody suffers

Cyan has explained the delay. Even spoke to it at Mysterium, according to some posts. I don't understand what tells/hints/reveals/suggests to you that Cyan has any other reason for being slow... or is not speaking the truth.

I doubt they, Cyan, are paying this dust up much mind. This is not the first disagreement Cyan has seen among the fans. I believe they are well aware of the 'shard wars' of UU era. I doubt they thought that would somehow be avoided this time around. Evidence is that the community did not learn from that experience.

Karkadann, I was not advocating the removal of freedom or that someone control open source. The video expresses the focus needed for an open source project to survive and move forward and how to handle the distractions and subversions likely to happen (problem people). The idea is not to prevent additional forks/branches/competing versions. The idea is how to make sure users can identify which branch they are using and how to know they actually downloaded the binary based on the published code. Dhel could claim his Drizzle was THE Drizzle. Without a lot of work I would not be able to know whether it was or was not. The other main point in the video is how to nurture the community so that it remains healthy, positive and grows.

The Google team controls their code as a team. They recommend avoiding benevolent dictators. The best system appears to be benevolent oligarchies where all of the team is in the ruling class. "Patches Welcome" is a telling phrase.

Here Chacal laments a lack of moderation in the forum. GoW has moderation and while several are not that happy with the style, the style is consistent and mostly tolerant. I belief is that as more people understand the focus needed to make a project work and understand how the Google team works the easier it would be to maintain a well working team and identify and ostracize problems. Its a matter of whether we will find a better way or resort to shard wars...
ImageNalates - Guild of Cartographers
Guild Apprentice: GoW, GoMa - Liaison: GoC to GoMe, GoC to SL (Nalates Urriah)
MO:UL 00 379 343 - Author: Uru Maps Tech Data
Nalates

Postby Karkadann » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Nalates I'll admit I assumed, but it would have made good intensive, :D in any case the war seems to be subsiding. Weather it was intended or not the Palishard is a very well known shard now, the issues being discussed threw-out the Myst Community put them in the spot light and its up to him as to what he is gonna do with that attention, I doubt your gonna have much of a problem with the Palishard in the future.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby obiwan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:30 am

maybe a stupid question but is pelishard will be the only "public" shard for ever ?

in one hand its good because people (who dont have invitation) are grouped in one shard but ... maybe it would be good to see others

dont know

see ya
obiwan

Postby diafero » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:40 am

The software is available out there, for free, including documentation - everything it takes to have another public Shard is someone willing to set it up and run it :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Goofy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:07 am

diafero wrote:The software is available out there, for free, including documentation - everything it takes to have another public Shard is someone willing to set it up and run it :D

heh I'd do it if I had the money and time and a computer to run it. (not using my main comp.)
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Postby Nanouk-GoW » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:15 am

There is a rumour from a Pelishard member/player that Pelishard has closed down.
http://www.mystpedia.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11568&PHPSESSID=2d95f22fd4931f0b36238872318633d2#11568
Nanouk-GoW

Postby Karkadann » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:09 am

Now that Pelichard is closed how do the ones who have not got invited to a shard Injoy Myst online with the rest of you guys, or maybe im just to much trouble
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby obiwan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:06 am

i ask the same question
obiwan

Postby Karkadann » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:07 am

Perhaps its time to stop Bogarting those Uru live shards
Karkadann

PreviousNext

Return to Plasma Development