An idea

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

An idea

Postby The stranger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:37 am

Hey,

I really enjoyed Drizzle. However there is one thing which annoys me. Why can't we go to the Descent before we have a Relto book? it's really annoying, cause once I take a relto book I have to go through the whole journey in order to return to the desert and go to the descent!

I know there is the problem of panic linking, but I don't think many people would mind just panic linking to the desert. It's the same when you panic link in the cleft- you return to the desert (you can panic link in the cleft only through bugs and glitches, though).

I think descent is always open. Even before you have a Relto book. And if you don't have it, you will panic link to the desert.

I also have another cool idea: going through the door in the last eder tomahn (it will be closed but you can walk through it) will link you to the 'hood. If you don't have a relto book yet, the linking books there won't work. I wonder if you can make such a thing work.

I bet many people would like that because going through the descent into d'ni is the original concept of Uru, which was sadly scraped.
The stranger

Re: An idea

Postby diafero » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:33 am

If you fall below the world geometry without yet collecting your Relto, you will panic-link to Relto as well - however, without getting the Relto book and without much of the initialization being done. I would expect behaviour to be mostly undefined. For that reason, I complied with Cyan and made the Relto book the only way to get out of the Cleft - unless you are using /jump or flymode, of course.
If you don't want to go through the whole journey, you can just cheat yourself to the Cleft right after getting your Relto book by typing "/link Cleft".

EDIT: Just for clarification, the behaviour you are describing is caused by the Offline KI, not Drizzle. Drizzle is used to convert the MOUL, Myst V and Crowthistle ages to TPOTS and to download Uru additions (like the Offline KI and fan ages) - plus many other more or less useful features and tools :D . The Offline KI integrates the files covnerted and downloaded by Drizzle into the game, makes the changes visible at all and contains the KI you know from UU and MOUL (but with much more KI commands :lol: ). Both projects need the other one to be completely used, which is why many people seem to mix them up.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby The stranger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:19 am

Okay, understood. Still, it would be great to see my idea in the game one day. I wish there was a "Easy Uru Modifier" sort of thing which could let you change Uru here and there, change linking rocks into linking books, add a journal or a note, turn SDLs on and off (without the 1/0 things). Not things like making worlds, just changing some little stuff.
The stranger

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:49 am

Eh, diafero... did you ever try to panic link with the PlayerKILevel chronicle set to the original Cleft default value 0? It wil NOT link you to Relto but instead instantly warp you to the main link-in point of the current age.

With the Offline KI "chat in Cleft" modification that will no longer happen since it sets the KI level to 1 and so you panic link to Relto.

So yes, there was a safety catch but it has now been removed in favor of the "chat in Cleft" option. It is either one or the other...
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:18 am

@D'Lanor: I tried a /jump -5 in the Cleft, but of course I already had the basic KI then. I did not know that the behaviour actually depends on the chronicle.
Maybe if I changed the KI to treat the KI levels 0 and 1 identically, I could have the chat interface and keep the old safety catch?

@The searcher: Have a look at the /set command, it was meant for exactly what you describe. You can quickly change some often used pre-defined options in some ages (like the glass decoration in the hood linking chamber).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:07 am

diafero wrote:@D'Lanor: I tried a /jump -5 in the Cleft, but of course I already had the basic KI then. I did not know that the behaviour actually depends on the chronicle.
Maybe if I changed the KI to treat the KI levels 0 and 1 identically, I could have the chat interface and keep the old safety catch?

I think the panic link behavior is hardcoded in the client. I never found any references to this in either python or prp files. :(
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:22 am

That should mean if I edit xKI.py to treat theKILevel = 0 and 1 identically, the game should still use the warp-to-link-in-point, correct?

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:30 am

I am not sure what you mean. If panic linking is not handled in xKI or in Python at all how would that make a difference?

Surely you don't want to change the panic link behavior for those who have a Relto?
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:19 pm

No, I don't want to change panic link behaviour.
What I want to have is that when the player is in Relto, panic link warp to startup AND there is the basic chat interface. Since I can not change the panic link behaviour, I have to keep the KI level at 0. So, consequently, I have to change the KI to also show if the KI level is 0.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:55 pm

That might work... and probably break a whole bunch of things that also depend on the Ki level in the process. :D
D'Lanor

Next

Return to Plasma Development