Can we move the Myst Book in MOUL Kveer to Atrus' desk

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Can we move the Myst Book in MOUL Kveer to Atrus' desk

Postby Jamey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi guys,

The title says it all. I think it would be really awesome if we could move the Linking book to the MystV version of Myst island, to Atrus's desk. I mean, it was there in the original Myst, and it was there in Myst V.

Plus, I hate the fact that the pedestal is on top of Ri'neref's (I hope I spelled it correctly) face. I want to be able to see his face without having to turn off the the SDL variable.

So what do you think? Is it possible?

Thanks!
KI#46415
Jamey

Re: Can we move the Myst Book in MOUL Kveer to Atrus' desk

Postby Chacal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:18 pm

I support this.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby ddb174 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Heh, when I saw the location of the pedestal, I couldn't help but wonder if it was a way to flip the bird to Chuck Carter. Especially considering what happened, for those that remember ;)

This is the MOUL version of Kveer, but it should be possible to translate the position of the entire pedestal elsewhere. To have the actual Myst book might require the Myst5 version of Kveer, though. But as far as the MOUL version is concerned, that seems to be where Cyan wanted it, though I also really don't like the covering of the face either.
ddb174

Postby Jamey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 am

Oh, I wasn't thinking about putting the closed MystV book in MOUL K'veer, I was just thinking we could just Make seperate SDL variables for both the pedestal, and the open Myst Book, turn off the pedestal, and move the open Myst book to the desk.

But if we can pull off putting the Myst V closed book on the desk, I think it's worth a shot. :)
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Chacal » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:44 am

It would just mean changing coordinates on a few objects.
Go for it, Jamey!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jamey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 am

Chacal wrote:It would just mean changing coordinates on a few objects.
Go for it, Jamey!

I would, but I have got no clue on how to import Cyan ages into Blender and work this stuff. :oops:
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby diafero » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:20 am

In addition I would vote against manual changes. Currently the only manual changes still present are in the hood and the city - the remaining additions are either just sound and footstep regions (nothing drawable) or automatically converted by Drizzle.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Jamey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:12 pm

diafero, I'm so glad to see how you and ddb174 are staying true to Cyan's work, and I feel the same way :)

Since we are concerned about editing Cyan-made content, how about this;

- Duplicate the open Myst Linking book on the pedestal
-Turn the SDL variable for the book and the pedestal it is on, to 0
-Position the new 'Clone' Myst Linking Book to Atrus's desk
-Put in a new SDL variable for the book on the desk, and put it into a brand new custom PRP file.

By doing this, we have made 2 Myst linking books, the one in the middle of the room, and one on the desk. By adding a copy of the book to the desk, we have created our own version of the Myst book, and have no repositioned or made ANY changes to the original pedestal holding the book made by Cyan, so no Cyan content has been edited, only duplicated. All we need to do is switch the variable for the pedestal book off, and leave the SDL variable for the Myst Book on the desk on.

What do you all think? Would this method work?
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby D'nial » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:25 pm

At such time that avatar animations are implemented for books that Drizzle places/replaces in Uru, the Myst book will need to be in a place where a pre-existing avatar animation will work without an explorer plunging his/her hand through the desk or reaching into the space above the book. Fortunately, the desk is right next to a small stair of sorts. It could, then, be possible to align the book in such a way that the default linking animation will fit, so that we don't need to write custom animations for any linking book.

The accuracy of that linking animation is why Cyan put the pedestal into K'veer at all, see.
If I had a signature, this is where it would be...
D'nial

Location: In a world where all men are guilty until proven dead!

Postby GregW11 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Well yes, but K'veer sort of lost its sense of "authenticity" with it. And an IC note for the way Drizzle handled the Ages: I highly doubt the DRC would have put a Link to the "dying" version of Myst on one of the pedestals like that, since the Age is very unstable...
GregW11

Next

Return to Plasma Development